Gameloft Breaks Out the Clone Machine for WoW-Like Order & Chaos

MaG iiC 3E

Dec 5, 2010
Can these people seriously not come up with their own ideas?

The fact that someone can blatantly rip something off like this and stay in business really says something about the market.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Yokai said:
Tom Goldman said:
Should Gameloft be condemned for its actions? I, for one, wouldn't mind playing a game like World of Warcraft or Starcraft on my phone, and Gameloft's at least appear to be of decent quality. Still, it's hard to support a company which is so blatantly taking ideas from other companies, even if those companies aren't working on mobile versions of their games.
Wait a minute. This seems strange coming from you, Mr. Goldman, seeing as you seemed pretty supportive of FortressCraft last month. I'd be curious to know what you think makes Gameloft near-plagiarizers but Projector Games simply expanding upon an idea.
Both companies are making games that are "copycats" to a certain degree (keeping in mind that Notch created Minecraft with inspiration from a game called Infiniminer), but Gameloft's titles are awfully blatant in each little detail that they replicate, no?

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Wow, that starcraft clone looked HORRIBLE! "Experience the gorgeous landscape..." *shitty low-polygon badly textured mess* erm, sure...

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
I don't mind to much that they clone games. They do a very good job porting them to the mobile devices. At least they aren't crappy direct ports that are so buggy they don't even run properly (like must console to PC ports...).

ZodiacBraves

Jun 26, 2008
LawlessSquirrel said:
Terrible ethics, I am appalled by the lack of creativity.

Other than that, smart move. Is a good market to try and take. Hell, I'd be tempted assuming it has no subscription fee.

EDIT: Actually, a lot of their stuff looks fun. I guess they know what they're doing, they just can't be bothered designing their own games.
I have an iPad, and I will say that Gameloft is currently my favorite mobile game developer. I have several games by them and most of them are of great quality.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
AAAAAAAaaaaaahahaha their not even TRYING!!!

I mean copying the comic book style is one thing (I really like it and it works well on lower settings) but the races and armour and that IS just the Horde symbol in the background...

That Shadow Guardian looks like it could stand on its own merits, im not sure, I never played Uncharted but the other two are just lazy and I HATE LAZINESS!!!

Also, what the hell is with everyones deal about what lead to what? You can argue that Tolkein lead to D&D and Warhammer which lead to WoW which lead to what ever but at least each one had their own style. D&D is HUGE, Warhammer is grim yet funny, WoW has its politics but this is just literally copy and paste. I wouldnt be surprised if that symbol belonged to the "Smorde".

I know WoW re-uses a few stolen cars but at least it has the decency to put them through the chop shop first.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Wicky_42 said:
Wow, that starcraft clone looked HORRIBLE! "Experience the gorgeous landscape..." *shitty low-polygon badly textured mess* erm, sure...
I will admit that bit made me giggle.

"Experience our 5 star gourmet food"

"Thats a cracker topped with what seems to be another cracker"

"GLORIOUS!"

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
i tried starfront on the ipad. it works ok with that larger screen. Cant imagine it doing well with the tinier screen of smart phones.

completely a copy of starcraft lol

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
Why is the escapist posting WoW Beta content, that was like 6-7 years ago.

Oh...

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Aww. I misread the name and thought that it was a Law & Order / WoW mashup. That would be great!

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Not an ethical move, but business doesn't care about ethics as long as it doesn't impact the bottom line.
I don't play WoW, and I don't want to play WoW. Why the hell would I want to play a game that's trying to be exactly like WoW?

LadyMint

Apr 22, 2010
Wow. Talk about riding Blizzard's coat tails.

Honestly, though? Those are some impressive graphics, and if I had a phone that could play them, I'd probably give them a try.

Are we sure Gameloft isn't secretly some third-party company under Blizzard's wing?

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
I say blizzard sues them for making money off of an engine they created without a licence.

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
This makes me kind of.... I don´t know, sad I suppose.

They have some clearly talented devs and coders (their games ARE well-made, for the most part), all of which are wasting their time with something really redundant, working off a buisness model that involves doing what other people have already done better and earlier.
I can´t imagine that working there is fun or fullfilling,
I seriously hope they get paid well, at least.

Oh, and to all of those people in this thread, who shout about how Blizzard is ripping of Warhammer etc.: I don´t think the problem here is that Gameloft is vaguely ripping off a mythology or races or themes, I think it´s more about ripping off the EXACT game-design, areas and content of a game that already exists.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
I hope Blizzard sues the pants off them. Hopefully they are just waiting for Gameloft to make it big so the apple is all the juicier once picked.

Akalabeth said:
Lord of the Rings rips off whatever.
One does not simply troll LotR fanboys. Not with ten thousand men could you do this.

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
I think blizz should sue them, and if they did i hope the mobile developers find a loophole that means they get away with it, its just so cheeky i almost want it to work!