Gamer Ends up Comatose After Drinking 4-Liters of Energy Drink

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Gamer Ends up Comatose After Drinking 4-Liters of Energy Drink

14-year old Henrik Eide Dahl fell comatose with kidney failure after consuming 4-liters of energy drink during a 16-hour LAN party.

There are times when caffeine can be a gamer's best friend. When you're a teenager looking to maximize the hours you have to put into Skyrim, for instance, a nice hit of Coke (the Cola variety, of course) can be perfect to keep your eyes open even when your brain's begging for them to shut. That being the case, there are limits to what caffeine can and, more importantly, should do. For instance, if you find yourself comatose, you may want to reevaluate how many energy drinks you're consuming.

That's a lesson that Henrik Eide Dahl to learn the hard way. Dahl, a 14-year old resident of Norway, recently landed himself in the hospital after he drank four liters of energy drink during a 16-hour Call of Duty LAN party. "I was playing Call of Duty. Then everything went dark and I passed out," said Dahl. Dahl was flown to a hospital where he was treated for kidney failure and fell into a coma. After he fell unconscious he was kept alive with a respirator and a drip. "When I woke up, I was terrified. The first thing I remember from the hospital is that my brothers were sitting at the edge of the bed and crying."

Dahl spent 13 days in the hospital where doctors treated him for damage to his lungs, kidneys, cardiovascular and central nervous systems. Even after being released he's still on medication to help recover. Government officials, in turn, aren't sure if caffeine alone was necessarily behind Dahl's hospitalization. "I've never heard of such a powerful reaction to caffeine here in Norway," said Margrete Meltzer from the Norwegian Institute of Public Health. "But there are more substances in energy drinks than caffeine, including some amino acids and artificial sweeteners, so it may be a combination of several things in the drink that has triggered the reaction." Regardless of which chemicals put Dahl in his "life-threatening" situation, we feel safe in saying that four liters of caffeinated anything is a bit much.

Source: <a href=http://www.thelocal.no/20140320/boy-hospitalised-after-energy-drink-fuelled-gaming-binge>The Local

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Jesus Christ, man! Even a pair of Mountain Dew bottles won't do that! Ya have to space apart the dosage!

(The Mountain Dew binges can happen alot in college. I've known friends who did. Nothing life-threatening, but not exactly healthy either. In any case, these things are frigging dangerous!)

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
8 cans in 16 hours isn't much, so the must have already been something pretty badly wrong with him.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Crazy Zaul said:
8 cans in 16 hours isn't much, so the must have already been something pretty badly wrong with him.
Granted, it was a 16 hour LAN, no one said anything about him spacing them apart.

Do kids at LAN parties shotgun Monsters like kids at college parties shotgun beers?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Crazy Zaul said:
Don't those 1/2 liter cans have warning labels stating 'do not consume more than one can a day'?

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
StewShearer said:
When you're a teenager looking to maximize the hours you have to put into Skyrim, for instance, a nice hit of Coke (the Cola variety, of course) can be perfect to keep your eyes open even when your brain's begging for them to shut.
Oh, I see. For a second I thought you may have been referring to Cocaine [http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_-kvrlWRDD8/UEe8bupJa_I/AAAAAAAABJs/pgYnMAAH-uA/s1600/cocaine-energy-drink.jpg].

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
Crazy Zaul said:
Don't those 1/2 liter cans have warning labels stating 'do not consume more than one can a day'?
Anything with a label like that should be considered prescription only.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
All I could think was "Good."

What a fucking idiot.

They're designed for a single boost of energy - and even then some fresh fruit or perhaps a granola bar would be better. They're not a supplement for your dietary needs.

I just hope this serves as an example as to how stupid this kind of product is.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
WeepingAngels said:
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
Crazy Zaul said:
Anything with a label like that should be considered prescription only.
Prescription: 4l Energy Drink
For: Dysgenic Risk to Humanity.

The World Famous

Mar 1, 2010
Abomination said:

What a fucking idiot.

They're designed for a single boost of energy - and even then some fresh fruit or perhaps a granola bar would be better. They're not a supplement for your dietary needs.

I hate to agree, but I agree. What a moron.
Guy I know has heart problems and used to drink two of these a day. He wondered why his resting heartrate was 120...

Ephidel

Jan 29, 2014
The World Famous said:
Abomination said:

What a fucking idiot.

I hate to agree, but I agree. What a moron.
Guy I know has heart problems and used to drink two of these a day. He wondered why his resting heartrate was 120...
Sorry to be callous, but I also agree.

If he had died, he would've been up for a Darwin Award.

RedBackDragon

Apr 22, 2013
i still think that energy drinks will turn out like cigarettes and asbestos , ofcourse theres no evidence to back that up at all but hey , tobacco used to be good for you :D

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I am going to say it; I laughed at this.

Here's why, those energy drinks have excessive consumption warnings plastered all over them. The kid was being a dumbass. A coma isn't what he deserved, but it is funny nonetheless.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Ephidel said:
The World Famous said:
Abomination said:
What a fucking idiot.
I agree.
I also agree.
I will be the 4th here to agree on that. Consuming that amount of energy drinks with variuos chemicals in it is reserved for stupid people only. Heck, its bad enough people drink them at all, but 4 liters will certainly kill your internal organs.
Also it was a 16 hour LAN party. why would you need energy drinks for that to begin with? He was 14, surely he can stay awake for 16 hours. Now i know some of my 72 hour awake times were pushing it, but i never needed any "Energy boost" for it (altrough perhaps my regular tendency to like sugar may have given some). 16 hour sittings is something i do twice a month. why would anyone need artificial enchanters for that is beyond me.

RedBackDragon said:
i still think that energy drinks will turn out like cigarettes and asbestos , ofcourse theres no evidence to back that up at all but hey , tobacco used to be good for you :D
caffeine addiction is seriuos business. its worse than alcohol addiction actually. Its just that most people are ignorant about it, then again same thing can be said about tabacco and alcohol.

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
Mind you that selling Energydrinks to a 14-year-old is ILLEGAL in Norway.
There is a reason why most stores require ID from adolecents to buy that shit.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
rhizhim said:
wonder what the parents said..
Bet you 5 dollars they sue the energy drink companies for their "negligence".

Now, I'm usually more sympathetic to people but I think he was a massive dumbass. A coma is probably too much but its completely his fault for overdoing it with the energy drinks, even at his age. Maybe its because I despise energy drinks.

Under_your_bed

Sep 15, 2012
Ephidel said:
If he had died, he would've been up for a Darwin Award.
Nope, sorry [http://www.darwinawards.com/rules/]

One of the rules of the Darwin Awards is "Maturity", i.e., generally only Adults who are (on the very rare occasion) mentally capable of sound judgement are eligible to win them.

Any kid who does this is clearly disqualified from such a category.

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
CyberAkuma said:
Mind you that selling Energydrinks to a 14-year-old is ILLEGAL in Norway.
There is a reason why most stores require ID from adolecents to buy that shit.
Good, what kind of idiot would give them to kids?

Seriously, whats with this kids parents? Enough energy drinks to put you in a coma an 16 hours gaming straight?