Gamers Demand Dark Souls PC Port

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
EverythingIncredible said:
Playing it on PC would be like attempting to play Skyrim on consoles. It doesn't work for a multitude of reasons.
If by consoles you mean just PS3 then I suppose you're right but it's worked perfectly fine for me on my 360.
Sure we don't get mods but that's hardly saying it doesn't work.

kradx

Jul 23, 2008
Skeleon said:
kradx said:
A possible solution for DS with Keyboard(got it from Namco Bandai Forums):
What exactly is the point of that? One of the advantages of a PC is being able to freely set your keys, why did they produce some sort of proposal for possible key bindings? Plus, if I decide to use a controller, the keyboard and mouse setup don't matter too much, anyway; I can simply mimic the console setup. Are key bindings really a concern and possible reason to deny a port for developers? Because if that's the case, then it just confuses me as to why.
No need to tell me what I already know. The image was only to show one possible key binding solution and was intended for the posters that are saying that Dark Souls would never work with K&M. Although I'm sure it will be ignored by almost everyone.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Wakikifudge said:
Playing it on PC would be like attempting to play Skyrim on consoles. It doesn't work for a multitude of reasons.
If by consoles you mean just PS3 then I suppose you're right but it's worked perfectly fine for me on my 360.
Playing them back to back, the console versions suck HARD compared to the PC version. It's is almost comical.
I'm assuming you're just a pc elitist who's trolling and hasn't actually played them back to back at this point... otherwise you'd notice that there really isn't that much of a difference. The main thing I notice is draw distance and a bit better graphics in general but but it really isn't very much.
In fact, if you go by overall scores (which I don't because in my opinion, it's the same game across all systems) the 360 version is the best. http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/skyrim/results

USSR

Probably your average communist.
Oct 4, 2008
I would very much love this port.
My 360 broke so I never had a chance to finish it ):
From what I played, I couldn't put it down.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Wakikifudge said:
Wakikifudge said:
Playing them back to back, the console versions suck HARD compared to the PC version. It's is almost comical.
I'm assuming you're just a pc elitist who's trolling and hasn't actually played them back to back at this point... otherwise you'd notice that there really isn't that much of a difference. The main thing I notice is draw distance and a bit better graphics in general but but it really isn't very much.
In fact, if you go by overall scores (which I don't because in my opinion, it's the same game across all systems) the 360 version is the best. http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/skyrim/results
There's more to a game than just the software going into the disc.

It's the over all playstyle, how it suits the way the platform runs and how it all comes together on its chosen platform.

This is particularly why it is a better PC game than a console game. Take out the superior graphics and even the mods, and you still have a better experience on PC.

That's because The Elder Scrolls is, at its heart, a PC experience. It's one meant to be played at your desk. This is something I noted when I got Skyrim on consoles and I hated it. I thought that TES just wasn't for me at first. But when I got it for PC, it's noticeably more enjoyable. To a point where I suddenly went from someone who was indifferent to a fan.

This is also precisely the reason why I think that Dark Souls wouldn't work on PC. Same thing, only the other way around. Dark Souls is an experience meant to be played on the couch. Not at your desk.
Ok. You've changed your tone to something that is much more reasonable. Thanks for that.
What you are basically saying is that YOUR PREFERENCE is that Skyrim plays better on the PC for comfort reasons?
Honestly, the hotkeys would be nice but the favorites menu pretty much solves that IMO. I prefer playing games with a controller on the couch because it is more comfortable for me.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Have some pride PC Gamers. I remember back in the day when you could proudly look down your noses towards console games because you were above us. Now, you are begging for the same treatment that the consoles get.

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
malestrithe said:
Have some pride PC Gamers. I remember back in the day when you could proudly look down your noses towards console games because you were above us. Now, you are begging for the same treatment that the consoles get.
Oh we still do...

But even the superior race can sometime see the occasional gem among vast array of terrible games for dirty console peasants. I kid.. I kid... x)

venn2011

Apr 15, 2011
LordOfInsanity said:
And how would you keep a permanently online game fair and balanced? A game like Dark Souls, where people can join another's game easily to either help or attack one another, is impractical with mods in and of itself.

You could have modder A have both the Sword of Infinity + 1 and Armor of Invulnerability thanks to modding, who joins into non-modder games and continuously attacks and kills the player. How will you keep Modders and Non-Modders separate, so Modders don't grief and ruin the experience from non-modders?
^ This. Seriously.

The problem with the online portion of Dark Souls is that when you're online, there is no way to prevent an invasion. There are no separate rooms or password-ed games to separate modders from non-modders. You can't prevent any hacker or cheater from joining your game. If you're online, you're online; exposed & vulnerable.

The console versions already suffer from glitchers & griefers; do we really want modders with "Sword of Infinity +1" and "Armor of Invulnerability" to join in & ruin everyone's fun? This game will die in a heartbeat.

Oh sure, play offline. But if you do, you're missing out a huge portion of the game, especially the coop. Want to do coop? Need help with a boss? Gotta connect online & risk invasion; there is no other way.

Oh sure, maybe the devs can fix it or something... but I think they moved onto next project, so if they just port it as is, then it'll be a disaster waiting to happen.

As much as I'd love to see this game on PC, I agree that it may not be a good idea.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
kradx said:
No need to tell me what I already know. The image was only to show one possible key binding solution and was intended for the posters that are saying that Dark Souls would never work with K&M. Although I'm sure it will be ignored by almost everyone.
Ah, I see. I mean, I'd probably use a controller myself, but I'm still confused why anybody would think a game like Dark Souls wouldn't work with keyboard and mouse, either. Hell, they should play a 'MechWarrior game some time to see complex key bindings.

5t3v0

Jan 15, 2011
venn2011 said:
LordOfInsanity said:
And how would you keep a permanently online game fair and balanced? A game like Dark Souls, where people can join another's game easily to either help or attack one another, is impractical with mods in and of itself.

You could have modder A have both the Sword of Infinity + 1 and Armor of Invulnerability thanks to modding, who joins into non-modder games and continuously attacks and kills the player. How will you keep Modders and Non-Modders separate, so Modders don't grief and ruin the experience from non-modders?
^ This. Seriously.

The problem with the online portion of Dark Souls is that when you're online, there is no way to prevent an invasion. There are no separate rooms or password-ed games to separate modders from non-modders. You can't prevent any hacker or cheater from joining your game. If you're online, you're online; exposed & vulnerable.

The console versions already suffer from glitchers & griefers; do we really want modders with "Sword of Infinity +1" and "Armor of Invulnerability" to join in & ruin everyone's fun? This game will die in a heartbeat.

Oh sure, play offline. But if you do, you're missing out a huge portion of the game, especially the coop. Want to do coop? Need help with a boss? Gotta connect online & risk invasion; there is no other way.

Oh sure, maybe the devs can fix it or something... but I think they moved onto next project, so if they just port it as is, then it'll be a disaster waiting to happen.

As much as I'd love to see this game on PC, I agree that it may not be a good idea.
Well Im not that interested in this at this point (Fantasy games are not really my thing, and Im not the most hardcore gamer out there because of my not-thinking-at-the-worst-possible-time attitude) but Personally I think that the Modded Console versions are a factor of complacency. We all think that because of the (comparitive to PC) difficulty of Modding games is difficult that we don't implement ANY form of Anticheat, whereas on the "Glorius PC platform" we have developed many anti- cheating measures, such as database verifiers and Anti-cheat platforms.

Though people say that they don't work, but in reality its due to us PC gamers being very demanding (I mean, we willingly pay craploads and research a fuckton for our gaming systems, Learn the ins and outs of many games, fall and trip over many times, there is a lot of work that goes into it, who wouldn't be overly particular)

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Witty Name Here said:
Well looks like Mr. and Mrs. High and Mighty have gotten off of their silver pedestals to try and get a console game!

Tell you what PC gamers, we'll give you Dark Souls if you give us the Witcher 2.

But in all seriousness, I'm surprised Dark Souls never came out on the PC, it seemed like the kind of game that you would expect on the PC first.
The Witcher 2 is actually being ported to the 360.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
fans are gong about this the wrong way. ports dont work. they should craft the game for pc and then pot it for console, since console is the limited one.