Gamers Find "Leviathan" DLC Inside Mass Effect 3's New Ending

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Gamers Find "Leviathan" DLC Inside Mass Effect 3's New Ending

Shepard's war with the Reapers may continue in BioWare's next single-player addition.

BioWare may have tied up some loose ends with its Extended Cut DLC, but that doesn't mean it's finished with Mass Effect 3. Game producer Mike Gamble hinted on his Twitter account [https://twitter.com/#!/gamblemike] that more content was in store, tweeting, "Would now be a good time to talk about how we're doing more DLC in the future?" He later added, "That was a trick question. We'll save the future DLC for future chats. Don't worry though ... there's much more." The fans, impatient creatures that they are, evidently decided to bypass those "future chats" and cut to the chase, digging up some juicy details on the planned DLC. Naturally, beware of Mass Effect plot spoilers below.

An enterprising member of the BioWare Social Network [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/12777408/1] stumbled across a file within the 1.9GB of Extended Cut data which seemed to contain text from dialogue not currently in the game. The script revolves around a rogue Reaper called Leviathan, which has betrayed the Reapers by killing one of its own and now acts as a defector from the invading army. Shepard's mission is to rescue Ann Brynson, a scientist trapped in a mining colony that has been indoctrinated by Leviathan. Depending on Shepard's actions, the traitorous Reaper may end up as an ally in the final battle for Earth.

The script includes new lines for each of Shepard's companions that help shine some light on the details of the mission. One line, which appears to be delivered by EDI, implies that the mission may reveal new information about the Reapers' creators, a topic mostly untouched in the series so far: "So the Reapers did not fully exterminate their creators. That suggests they are fallible, even on large or long-term scales."

The name Leviathan will be familiar to fans of the series. Back in the first Mass Effect, players could scan the planet Jartar in the Dis System to discover the corpse of a massive "living starship." In Mass Effect 3, players who completed the Bring Down the Sky DLC encountered a Batarian named Balak who implies that the so-called Leviathan of Dis was actually an inactive Reaper. At some point, a Batarian science team accidentally woke it up.

BioWare has not confirmed anything, but the text in the game files makes the details pretty clear: Commander Shepard's adventures aren't over just yet.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-27-mass-effect-3-leviathan-dlc-files-hidden-in-extended-cut]

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
On the one hand, this sounds really interesting.

On the other hand, it seems like a waste that this can't be experienced until months after we've already finished the game's story. It sort of falls into the same category as From Ashes, in that it's DLC that really should have been part of the base game.

Well, we'll see how this goes.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Making me replay what was once my favorite game, then my least favorite, and is now in some nebulous zone in-between, likely from the very start, just to gain a tidbit of new information.

God damn you, BioWare... god damn you, and god damn my love for you.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
the traitorous Reaper may end up as an ally in the final battle for Earth.
Talk about stepping on a nail only to end up stepping on a landmine. The Reapers are more or less done with the ending ME3 had and applying diversity among the enemy is kind of generic and overused.

In ME1&2, the reapers had an unstoppable notation attached to them now in ME3 it just seems like any other race that requires magic to remove.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
On one hand, this sounds really cool.

On the other hand, who cares if we get him in the final battle? It's not going to change the endings.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Why does this remind me of Bioshock 2? Oh right...

I think Bioware is trying too hard.

BlindWorg

Oct 31, 2009
Making me replay what was once my favorite game, then my least favorite, and is now in some nebulous zone in-between, likely from the very start, just to gain a tidbit of new information.

God damn you, BioWare... god damn you, and god damn my passive-agressive behaviour towards you
Fudged around to make it fit more to my view on them =V

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Colour me unambivalent. Don't see the point in added extra pages in a story I've already read. Might as well add new hats for all it's really worth.

rawrnosaurous

Jul 6, 2010
By get in the final battle I assume that just means he's added to our war score. Other wise their going back to fiddle with the ending of Mass Effect 3, after their pissing match with the internet over artistic integrity.

Also if a Reaper can go rogue than what is the importance of the star child? Didn't he control the Reapers and by extension make them do his bidding? Does that mean that the control option ending is bullshit if the Reapers can go rogue and ignore Shephards commands?

Does no one at Bioware look at the shit that they write?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Cognimancer said:
Command Shepard
Typo!

Anywho, that seems kind of interesting. Too bad Bioware hasn't bothered trying to help the people who've had the 'Alliance Network' break down on them so they can't download any DLC, which has been a problem since release.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Color me intrigued. Wont be 100% sold until there are a few more details on what's in it, but I likes the sound of more single-player content. Anyway, it'll give me the drive to play through ME2 again to get ready for a proper ME3 (lost some old saves for ME2 and for some reason missing the 100 pt. mineral resources thing really bothered me).

arcticphoenix95

Apr 30, 2010
It seems like someone at bioware would be in charge of making sure that content is not leaked before they officialy announce anything.... unless there the ones who had it "leaked" in the first place. OT: I figured that they would do something with the leviathan of dis. "Oh, a living starship millions of years old captured by the batarian hegemony, that turned out to be a reaper? We forgot all about that".

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
to be honest, who really cares anymore? we have the original endings or the new EC endings and some DLC with "the chance to have a rogue Reaper at your side" won't change nothing at all... probably would be best to let ME3 die and start working on ME4