Gamers Find "Leviathan" DLC Inside Mass Effect 3's New Ending

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
mad825 said:
the traitorous Reaper may end up as an ally in the final battle for Earth.
Talk about stepping on a nail only to end up stepping on a landmine. The Reapers are more or less done with the ending ME3 had and applying diversity among the enemy is kind of generic and overused.

In ME1&2, the reapers had an unstoppable notation attached to them now in ME3 it just seems like any other race that requires magic to remove.
They're clearly taking the Final Fantasy approach to story writing: as soon as you think the enemy is dead it unveils ITS TRUE FORM or it was a fake all along or some other contrived bull they're using to stretch this shit out.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
hmmm. sounds like i will spend my money on something, after telling my self i will not. since bioware did managed to make me happy enough with the EC dlc, i keep playing ME3 again.

Darkmantle

Oct 30, 2011
Lovely Mixture said:
The script revolves around a rogue Reaper called Leviathan, which has betrayed the Reapers by killing one of its own and now acts as a defector from the invading army
Really? Really?

The powerful godlike killing machines that have killed and harvested civilizations for thousands upon thousands of years.....Can have feelings and second thoughts now?
HEY! ELDRITCH ABOMINATIONS FROM BEYOND THE VOID HAVE FEELINGS TOO!!!

yeah the writing department is in the shitter.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
rawrnosaurous said:
By get in the final battle I assume that just means he's added to our war score. Other wise their going back to fiddle with the ending of Mass Effect 3, after their pissing match with the internet over artistic integrity.

Also if a Reaper can go rogue than what is the importance of the star child? Didn't he control the Reapers and by extension make them do his bidding? Does that mean that the control option ending is bullshit if the Reapers can go rogue and ignore Shephards commands?

Does no one at Bioware look at the shit that they write?
Or they have an explanation. Don't shit down someone's throat before they have the chance to speak.

If this Leviathan is in fact the before-mentioned "inactive" Reaper, it's possible it could have been damaged to such an extent that it was forced to remain in a sort of comatose state in order to survive. In that, it could have had time to develop an individual intelligence. One spiteful, questioning, and rebellious to the force that drove it to sentence its self to near-destruction. In that, the machine chooses to defect. The "star child" was explained to be an AI construct made to control the Reapers, but this doesn't mean its control is indefinitely binding to all of the machines. This was what I was elaborating to myself as I read those last few lines of the article, and it seems perfectly feasible. Maybe it won't be the explanation, but as long as they do provide an explanation and it makes sense, it's perfectly fine.

And it has to be pre-ending DLC, since Shepard dies[/I] in the endings. They just changed the endings further, they won't pull that shit twice after they just fixed it to everyone's liking. Even if it is "just to boost your Galactic Readiness", the mission could still be enjoyable. Isn't that the purpose? To play more of the game? Every other mission in the game did the same thing.

However if you're going to attack them before it's even released, you're being unfair to them. In spite of your opinion of Bioware, their deserve the chance for proper review before you assault them with that.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
My thoughts are pretty much "so what?"

With that craptastic ending (elaborated on or not), why do I care what other adventures might have happened beforehand, knowing nothing I do matters and everything is going to go to pot? Sure I get a new renegade Reaper buddy, but I already know it doesn't matter because Bioware told me so. Shares information on the backround of the Reapers? All that can do is make the ending worse, especially seeing as again, none of it is going to matter. Not to mention that with what they established in the ending this entire DLC plan doesn't make much sense anyway.

The bottom line is that like with Dragon Age 2, EA/Bioware is not getting any more of my money. You screw up your game like this, why should I pay more money into it?

Oh and for the record, if anyone at EA/Bioware has anyone looking at this, and thinking fans just QQ and buy everything anyway... I'm "Therumancer" on Bioware social as well. Check out how much DA2 content I've bought... and oh, that's the previous game that "sold well" but slotted people off on the delivery, and I believe it was so lackluster in support afterwards that the last piece of planned DLC got canned (or so I read here on The Escapist). I seriously hope you've spent millions and millions of dollars making the next ME3 DLC an epic performance, so when it underperforms due to not including an appropriate ME3 ending you take a bath.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Excellent. Another useless batch of EMS points for when I shoot the s***caked hologram in the face.

If I ever get around to a second playthrough. Or paying any more for BioWare products.

A Curious Fellow

Nov 16, 2010
As a mostly uncomplicated Bioware fan freshly wooed and indoctrinated by the properly handled endings... SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY

Seriously though, I'm unironically jacked about this. I loved the Leviathan of Dis subplot in Mass Effect and when it was mentioned in 3 by the infamous asshole turned humbled leader of a homeless species Balak... it was pretty damn cool that they would remember such a little detail. Same with the investigation of the Klendegan Rift revealing the Derelict Reaper in 2. Plus, I'm a total tool of a Biodrone and I'll lap up any bullshit they release no matter how insipid.

They had almost lost me there with the end of 3 back in March, but I'm back now.

Daget Sparrow

Oct 2, 2011
NO. BAD BIOWARE. DON'T TELL ME WHO MADE THE REAPERS. Keep the Reaper's origin a mystery, it makes for a WAY more interesting story.

lapan

Jan 23, 2009
Cognimancer said:
Game producer Mike Gamble hinted on his Twitter account [https://twitter.com/#!/gamblemike] that more content was in store, tweeting, "Would now be a good time to talk about how we're doing more DLC in the future?" He later added, "That was a trick question. We'll save the future DLC for future chats. Don't worry though ... there's much more." The fans, impatient creatures that they are, evidently decided to bypass those "future chats" and cut to the chase, digging up some juicy details on the planned DLC. Naturally, beware of Mass Effect plot spoilers below.
Oh really? As if we wouldn't have known after the screen after the ending already announced DLC ages ago...
Cognimancer said:
The script includes new lines for each of Shepard's companions that help shine some light on the details of the mission. One line, which appears to be delivered by EDI, implies that the mission may reveal new information about the Reapers' creators, a topic mostly untouched in the series so far: "So the Reapers did not fully exterminate their creators. That suggests they are fallible, even on large or long-term scales."
And yet we have to trust the asspull starchild or die.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Daget Sparrow said:
NO. BAD BIOWARE. DON'T TELL ME WHO MADE THE REAPERS. Keep the Reaper's origin a mystery, it makes for a WAY more interesting story.
Well, the Extended cut already tells us who made them, just not anything about them other than

"They were an organic race, they existed, one can assume they probably looked like hand-shaped crabs given the reapers, and probably had a HUGE industry running with giant mechanical space-thumb wrestling, until the starchild (who still shouldn't exist) decided to use the giant mechanical thumb wrestlers in question to kill er'body

....duh urp"

I'm 76% sure that spoiler'd quote is verbatim, though I could be forgetting some details.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Problem with ME3 DLC is that it won't have the weight of the previous ones. The main draw to buying ME2 DLC (to me, at least) is that it seemed significant to the story, so it was necessary for the sake of the conclusion to the series.

But now that draw's gone...you know how it ends, this is just extra gameplay. Which is nice and all, but in all likelihood, it'll just amount to getting +200 points or something of the sort, which is probably irrelevant since you can get all the endings without it.

That said, they do have a golden opportunity with Mass Effect 3. At the ending, they can have hugely varying effects from their DLC. Perhaps add new endings ontop of the existing ones. Hell, so long as the main three factors are consistent (Shepard Dies, Relays Destroyed, Reapers Gone) they have a lot of room to build new outcomes. Not as much as they claimed before release, but the chance is still there. It could turn into a big branching finale over time, if they stick to expanding on it alongside the pre-ending content.

At the very least, extending the end-game portions to reflect the outcome of the DLC would be nice, even if not particularly rewarding.

But that probably won't happen. It'll most likely be an addon that doesn't impact the finale in any meaningful way.

However, if Leviathan ends up taking out Harbinger before it hits, I will tip my hat to Bioware for an encouraging comeback.

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
The only DLC I'm interested in that will make up for the ending is one that let's you play as Garrus during the gap between Shepard's death and meeting him again on Omega.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
Oh, Reapers have free will now?

Hahahahaha, this BioWare storytelling is sure getting better and more consistent since they sent Drew to write the great success known as SW:ToR.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Maybe when they're done with all the DLC, we'll have enough resources to tell that stupid little shithead to shut the fuck up and still get ourselves a happy ending like the one in Mass Effect 1 and 2.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Shotgun Guy said:
Commander Shepard's adventures aren't over just yet.

No, his battles are over, now I can choose to go back and relive more moments before his agonizing decision at the end. No thank you, I've already played through Mass Effect 3, shoving more crap into its bloated corpse doesn't interest me. I'll only buy DLC that takes place after the war or is in someway completely separate from it. I've fought this war, I know what happens and I've ended it, why would I care about more assets? Why the hell would I want to back into the middle of it? If this DLC seriously does change the ending yet again, I'LL catch it on YouTube.
dementis said:
The only DLC I'm interested in that will make up for the ending is one that let's you play as Garrus during the gap between Shepard's death and meeting him again on Omega.

Well said you two.
I said my goodbyes to Shepard already :(

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
rawrnosaurous said:
By get in the final battle I assume that just means he's added to our war score. Other wise their going back to fiddle with the ending of Mass Effect 3, after their pissing match with the internet over artistic integrity.

Also if a Reaper can go rogue than what is the importance of the star child? Didn't he control the Reapers and by extension make them do his bidding? Does that mean that the control option ending is bullshit if the Reapers can go rogue and ignore Shephards commands?

Does no one at Bioware look at the shit that they write?
There will always be one defective unit out of the bunch. Maybe he powered off before the OS could shut down correctly and the driver that controlled the "Obey master" chip became corrupted. (Windows joke ^^)

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
Hmm, seems interesting, but unless this ''Leviathan'' impacts the ending (as in, we see it ''swallow'' a destroyer or two) I don't see it selling well, I mean aside from malKing everything but Refuse even LESS appealing:
For Destroy, you are now killing other Reapers that may have their own agenda, as well as Leviathan, YOUR ALLY.
For Control, now Reapers could defect and refuse Shepard's leadership,
And For Synthesis, now some Reapers could just turn on everybody because, well, free will and whatnot.....
: Any War assets to be made from this DLC could be made from playing 2 hours of Multiplayer or simply not sucking at single-player (in my first playthrough I had 3200 war assets, and now with the EC you only need 3100 for the best everything).