Gamers? View on LGBT Essay

klausaidon

Aug 4, 2009
arragonder said:
Danyal said:
Well, the Escapist Magazine community is not exactly the average gamer. We've got very strict rules and I'm sure blatant homophobics will be banned when they display homophobic behavior.
nope, surprisingly enough the escapist actually gives you some measure of free speech. what does get you mod wrath'd is telling homophobes what you think of them.
What really gets the mod's attention if you personally attack someone. So someone can completely put down homosexuals, or a whole community of people, but if someone tells them they're being assholes, BAM warning.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Wow I've never seen a thread so thoroughly assassinated by one flamer. I have to disagree though, I don't see any reason why gamers shouldn't be accepting of homosexuality since almost everyone is nowadays except for the odd 13 year old or moron. The thing with Microsoft I'd put down to lack of foresight rather than any malicious intent too.

About the industry putting LGBT stuff within games, I don't know. It'd be nice but a lot of the love interests in games are even more shameless than half the stuff Hollywood produces. Most writers need to grow up a little to include believable heterosexual romance plots before they're ready to make that step. No point having them include gay romances if they're utterly generic anyway.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
klausaidon said:
I remember your original thread. **hugs** You are officially awesome. Great job!

I do have one request for the future: paragraph breaks. Pleez?

Good citations, BTW - I always appreciate a good citation. ^^

MisterM2402

Nov 19, 2009
intheweeds said:
It's the same thing IMO as the use of the word 'fag'. Some find it offensive, some don't. But the fact that some do makes me want to find another word that doesn't offend anybody, which is quite easy most of the time. To me it's just the nice thing to do. Fat is used as a derogatory term by some, though admittedly not by others. You may not understand why it's offensive, and that's fine, but some do find it offensive so why not at least try to find another word?

You were suggesting that if the 'fat' girl isn't around why bother not saying it? Which in itself suggests that you realize the term would offend fat people. But I do appreciate what you are saying.
Hmmm... I'd say "fag" was the offensive version of the term "gay" - "gay" is just a descriptive word, whereas "fag" has an aggressive quality to it (like "black" and "ni___r" or "short" and "midget"). I don't know, I'd assumed most people thought that, but maybe that was wrong and it's just me.

"Which in itself suggests that you realize the term would offend fat people." - really, I'm just going off what people have said; I don't agree with or understand why it's offensive, but apparently it is :p Maybe this specific person the original poster was referring to isn't offended by the word "fat"; maybe she's more offended by "plus-size", as it suggests her condition is such a terrible one it needs to be euphimism...ised haha

Maybe I'm wrong, but hey! :)

SpartanBlackman

Apr 1, 2011
You rarely see games with men talking about how heterosexual they are. And why does it even bother the Gay community that they are underrepresented?
Should I make some characters gay just to appeal to them?
Should I add more black people to appeal to them?
Should I add more women, just to appeal to them?
Should I add transgender people, or more old people, or more loud 13 year olds to appeal to them?

I DEMAND THAT WE GET MORE OBESE NERDY MEN IN COMBAT ROLES, IT IS DISCRIMINATION AGAINST ME.

See, silly isn't it?

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Pearwood said:
About the industry putting LGBT stuff within games, I don't know. It'd be nice but a lot of the love interests in games are even more shameless than half the stuff Hollywood produces. Most writers need to grow up a little to include believable heterosexual romance plots before they're ready to make that step. No point having them include gay romances if they're utterly generic anyway.
I completely agree with you, how can someone expect a game to present a mature well thought non-generic, non-stereotypical, non-shallow gay/lesbian character. When they cant even make a non-generic, non-stereotypical, non-shallow straight character.

Delving deeper, how can anyone expect romance to be taken seriously in a game, when the most complex relationship choices are: press a to be to be nice, press b to be mean.

klausaidon

Aug 4, 2009
Bara_no_Hime said:
klausaidon said:
I remember your original thread. **hugs** You are officially awesome. Great job!

I do have one request for the future: paragraph breaks. Pleez?

Good citations, BTW - I always appreciate a good citation. ^^
Haha, thanks. And I said before hand, that the formatting was screwed up when I copied and pasted from the doc file into the forum post. I included a link to the doc file itself, with all the formatting intact for easier reading, but I suppose no one wants to go to megaupload for such a small file.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SpartanBlackman said:
You rarely see games with men talking about how heterosexual they are. And why does it even bother the Gay community that they are underrepresented?
Should I make some characters gay just to appeal to them?
Should I add more black people to appeal to them?
Should I add more women, just to appeal to them?
Should I add transgender people, or more old people, or more loud 13 year olds to appeal to them?

I DEMAND THAT WE GET MORE OBESE NERDY MEN IN COMBAT ROLES, IT IS DISCRIMINATION AGAINST ME.

See, silly isn't it?
Man, diversity in gaming is such a horror, innit?

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, I pretty much agree to what has been said so far...
We can't make avatars and characters to match every person in this world.

Also, we have to remember that game characters are often idealistic portrayals of what a hero would look like in that particular game. If you dont like the setting, then don't play it.

We need to learn to be stay cool and be accepting of these setting, the way we would just watch movies with white american macho marines saving the day whenever there is a crisis.

Games does not take time to discuss their sex life, just as much as they usually dont care what animals they like, how old they were when they were first able to ride a bicycle etc.

Unless the story line of the game dramatically changes due to the character's sexual orientation (example, if youre straight, the zombies will try to eat you, If youre gay...they will still try to eat you), I dont think developers should waste time on creating such characters.

But hey, if there comes a day when more gay people are involved in game development, things may change and when it does, i am all for it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Danyal said:
Diversity because the multi-cultural society demands it, because of political correctness? Displaying people of every possible race, religion and sexual orientation, just because you need to finish a list of minorities that have to be included? Doesn't sound appealing to me.
Woohoo! The PC bogeyman!

How do you know for sure the Jarl of Whiterun isn't gay/bisexual? How do you know for sure Ulfic Stormcloak isn't a transvestite? Do you really want everyone in Skyrim to be talking to you about their sex life?!
And how do you know they aren't all Xenomorphs wearing elaborate cloaking fields?

Oh, right, that argument is stupid.

Do you really need to pollute all games with the political discussions of the day?
Maybe you should first "install" gay marriage etcetera.
And there we have it. Gays as "pollution." That's the real problem, isn't it? Pretending it's only an issue because it's the "discussion of the day," making up notions of checklists, it all comes down to this, doesn't it?

The nerve of those uppity minorities to want more representation (Not the strawman of complete representation you have portrayed) in a media. How terrible! Fans wanting something is political correctness! How dare they!!!!!!!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Angie7F said:
We need to learn to be stay cool and be accepting of these setting, the way we would just watch movies with white american macho marines saving the day whenever there is a crisis.
You've got to be taking the piss, based on this comment. Hollywood is FAR more diverse than video games. So the notion that we should accept these things, just like Hollywood is kinda silly.

As such, I must say: Well played, forumite, well played.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
That was good. Though I unfortunately got it beaten into my head that you can't end an essay with a one sentence paragraph. I always end up making them 4 or 5 and they come out terrible.

I'm interested to hear how your teacher responded to an essay about gaming? I've known quite a few who get ancy over things like that.

SpartanBlackman

Apr 1, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Danyal said:
Diversity because the multi-cultural society demands it, because of political correctness? Displaying people of every possible race, religion and sexual orientation, just because you need to finish a list of minorities that have to be included? Doesn't sound appealing to me.
Woohoo! The PC bogeyman!

How do you know for sure the Jarl of Whiterun isn't gay/bisexual? How do you know for sure Ulfic Stormcloak isn't a transvestite? Do you really want everyone in Skyrim to be talking to you about their sex life?!
And how do you know they aren't all Xenomorphs wearing elaborate cloaking fields?

Oh, right, that argument is stupid.

Do you really need to pollute all games with the political discussions of the day?
Maybe you should first "install" gay marriage etcetera.
And there we have it. Gays as "pollution." That's the real problem, isn't it? Pretending it's only an issue because it's the "discussion of the day," making up notions of checklists, it all comes down to this, doesn't it?

The nerve of those uppity minorities to want more representation (Not the strawman of complete representation you have portrayed) in a media. How terrible! Fans wanting something is political correctness! How dare they!!!!!!!
Wow. Good job missing the point of that guys argument.
Think about this.
Why does a characters sexual orientation matter. Think about it. You don't see it. You notice it slightly in maybe a bit of background material, or there is a homosexual romance scene (And bioware has already fixed that by making everyone bi), or it is their main characteristic. You can't have everything.
I'd like more black people in games, but I don't care. I don't go on the internet and demand that more black people are in games, all with unique characteristics and retain a sense of being black without just being a white guy with a different model. Why? It doesn't matter. Not in the slightest.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
ToastiestZombie said:
Oh, so you think people can just get over being gay? Seriously, you shouldn't be so homophobic and derogatory in your posts.
No, I agree with him and people can get over the assumption that being born X is supposed to offer you "positive discrimination".

Way to misunderstand a post just to call someone homophobic.