"Games Cause Rape" Psychiatrist Defends Her Position

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
So...her defense was "I didn't provide evidence because I assumed everyone already knew I was right." Isn't it great when supposed psychiatrists are massive megalomaniacs?

Anyhoo, no worries. We'll just keep Amazonbombing her until she finally ponies up the fact that she has no actual evidence to support her asinine claims. And meanwhile, Bulletstorm will get more and more free publicity.

King Ramen Noodle

Jan 30, 2011
i dunno about you but games have no part in making a rapist. If someone is willing to play a game about being a rapist then they were fucked up long before that game got into their hands. Fox just likes to bash things that have little political power for profit. because every time they make some big story they get more viewers, which means more money. so their not above making up tons of bullshit just so they can get more cash. i mean come on have you seen glen beck? if you had any amount of logic and thought about what that guy says you would know he's just crazy. Fox figures that the more stories about how Life is going down the crapper or You may be in danger by that fluffy pink bunny who loves to cuddle means more money. because people who haven't written off fox as worthless will possibly think "what if i am in danger?". the worse they make it out the more viewers which in turn means more money. so if some industry loses creditability so what they want money. not like anyone asks them to show their work and their evidence.

if you really want this crap to stop, form a group that goes around asking these famous "doctors" where they got their evidence and conclusions. just like your math teacher make you show them your work make them show us theirs. don't just accept the answer is 2. ask them how they got there and where did they get the info.

cystemic

Jan 14, 2009
yu-huh and videogames are also the cause of global warming, cancer and homosexuality. can we get something fresh to blame soon because this is bull

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
I just realized that in my Psychology class (and this is a basic class, so way above[I think that's the correct direction, implying she DOES in fact know it] the level of something a certified Psychiatrist should know) we were discussing causes and correlations and how something positively correlated (i.e. if one thing is happening, chances are another thing is ALSO happening) CANNOT be said to mean that it ALWAYS happens, because in that case it would not be a correlation but a cause.

My point is, if she at any point stated that a game causes rape and isn't simply correlated with it, then it would be implied that anyone who has played this has raped someone.

hyperdrachen

Jan 1, 2008
I like that nothing she cited was even a legitimate "hacky study". A poll of "what people believe caused the violence" doesn't really constitute proof of causality. The two studies linked actually investigate wholly other matters. One being the exasperating effects of violent media, on those who've show predisposition to violent behavior. The second being a movement not to market adult content to minors. An initiative that the ESRB already follows and enforces.

None of this links shooting people in a video game to raping people in real life.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Dr.Liberman said:
When the Columbine murders took place, there were national polls where people voted on what they believed caused the two young men to kill. Media violence ranked high on the list
Huh... Apparently to her a "national poll" counts as a "study."
ROIGHT! Well then I'm going to have a "national poll" over the cuteness of bunnies and then call it a study!

I R DOKTOR NAO.
Put me down for "strongly agree" on 'Are bunnies super-duper cute?' and 'Do bunnies cause rape?'

Kudos for being the first to cite the poll/study problem. Lets face it "national polls" were part of the reason George Bush Snr/Jr were presidents.

Andrew_Mac

Feb 20, 2011
Snotnarok said:
Scytail said:
i played the Bulletstorm demo and i personally feel no desire to go commit a violent crime and/or rape. however, i will admit the demo influenced me to go preorder the full version when at the end it called me "dick-tits."
You didn't get your rape face on? Trololol. And that's a great selling point, much like Prinny 2 where a bullet point read: "Use a canon to launch yourself to the stages". SOLD.
i didn't feel the need to go and rape sumone either. i love the demo and i can't wait for the game, so phyciatrists in general can suck it.

TAGM

Dec 16, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"I am sending this email to all of the reporters, editors, bloggers, gamers and others who have contacted me asking about what my opinion regarding violent video games was based upon. When I was first asked to provide studies, I did not have them on my fingertips - not because I didn't know they existed - but because I thought that everyone already knew about these studies and I had them filed away. My obligations to patients and other professional commitments have delayed my gathering these examples of such studies, and sending them to you, until now."

"I have worked in the area of media violence for many years. This included testifying before Congress on the issue, doing numerous media interviews, stopping the 'Schwarzenegger rocket' that was to have had an ad for Last Action Hero on it, being invited to contribute an essay on video game violence to Larry King's book Beyond A Reasonable Doubt, etc. When the Columbine murders took place, there were national polls where people voted on what they believed caused the two young men to kill. Media violence ranked high on the list, so I, obviously mistakenly, assumed that people still knew about the studies showing this connection - and believed them to have proven the link."

"In any case, I would appreciate your including a mention of these studies on your websites, blogs or comments, or at least including a mention of the fact that I did provide such studies to you. Thank you."
U mad, Sis?
Seriously, is this it? "I thought that you knew! Where the fuck have you been, bro? Everyone knows Media Violence did it! Look at the polls!"
Fuck you, lady. Just fuck you. Here's the reason why the polls said media violence did it - It wasn't because of all the reports, it was because a bunch of shitheads like you got themselves into the media storm, and threw their weight around on Fox News and the like, and gave a bunch of uninformed morons the idea that video games will deffinatly cause children to start shooting people in the face at age 12.
Oh yeah, and if you seriously thought that everyone knew about your evidence even when people were asking what your evidence was, Please do excuse me if I doubt your ability to be perspetive when you're talking about the human mind.
Once you're ready to make an actual argument besides Ad Hominum (And I know that's hypocritical, considering this is mostly what you're getting even in this very comment, but hey, what did you expect?) and the fact that we're not fucking clarvoiant, Then we can talk proper science here, but untill then, you should expect and deserve nothing but derogiroty comments and complete dissmissal of your claims.

Firehound

is a trap!
Nov 22, 2010
WanderingFool said:
Cain_Zeros said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Cain_Zeros said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Dr.Liberman said:
When the Columbine murders took place, there were national polls where people voted on what they believed caused the two young men to kill. Media violence ranked high on the list
ROIGHT! Well then I'm going to have a "national poll" over the cuteness of bunnies and then call it a study!

I R DOKTOR NAO.
The difference being that bunnies actually are cute, so you'd be calling a "national poll" a "study" to support fact, rather than utter bullshit.
Shit... I didn't think anyone would call me out on my bullshit.
HOLY COW! I just made a parallel between that author and my random act of stupidity.
Thank you for helping me laugh much harder at her expense tonight.
xD
Well, she deserves all the laughter at her expense we can provide.
In that case, let me join in on the merriment, lawl...

Anyways, I also want to add...
[sarcastic tone]Rapelay, I blame Japan... lets bomb the bastards and make them pay!
We already did once. They got better.

leevio

Nov 10, 2010
Just me, but seems like it would be reasonable to sue her ass for slander...Oh how I wish I would live in the USA now, then I would be sticking rich by now.

Feb 8, 2010
This is a perfect example of an (supposed) expert using their authority as an expert to try and mislead the public. She isn't dumb, I suspect she knows she's lying about the state of research but thinks she's doing the right thing. Hell, she might even be slightly right - It doesn't seem too far fetched to imagine that exposing a young boy to ultra violent video games might, rarely, predispose him to committing violent crimes including rape, when he's older.

There is a problem with scientific news reporting in general; for giving these people a platform and encouraging sensationalism. Most issues are complex, with many contributing factors, that doesn't make for interesting news shows, so the headline that gets circulated around is, "Games cause Rape".

jxk94

Feb 17, 2011
To be fair after playing blackops i did get the uncontrollable urge to go and rape someone within a two miles radius. i didn't get the chance to though as according to her i most likely tried to rob a bank with a baseball bat then tried talking to random people using my speech points.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
It would be really ironic if this woman was raped with a copy of some Dora the Explorer DS game. But knowing Fox they'd blame it on illegal immigration.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
She missed the big hole in her thesis: rape has gone down over the past several decades. As has all forms of violent crime. Unless she deals with this, she is not a real psychiatrist. Real psychiatrists listen to the evidence. They don't ignore it.

blindthrall

Oct 14, 2009
Firehound said:
WanderingFool said:
Cain_Zeros said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Cain_Zeros said:
Frank_Sinatra_ said:
Dr.Liberman said:

I R DOKTOR NAO.
The difference being that bunnies actually are cute, so you'd be calling a "national poll" a "study" to support fact, rather than utter bullshit.
Shit... I didn't think anyone would call me out on my bullshit.
HOLY COW! I just made a parallel between that author and my random act of stupidity.
Thank you for helping me laugh much harder at her expense tonight.
xD
Well, she deserves all the laughter at her expense we can provide.
In that case, let me join in on the merriment, lawl...

Anyways, I also want to add...
[sarcastic tone]Rapelay, I blame Japan... lets bomb the bastards and make them pay!
We already did once. They got better.
I think "better" is a relative term in Japan's case. They got...different.