Games everyone but you hates.

srm79

Jan 31, 2010
Duke Nukem Forever was alright, I thought. I always thought I was in a minority there.

Amongst my friends though, it's Battlefield. I've been trying to get some of my CoD playing friends to play and pretty much all of them have one go then decide it's "cheating" when they are shot from half a mile away by a sniper who has to allow for gravity, splattered into jam by a tank, or chopped to bits by a helicopter that can track and follow them with a two man crew (as opposed to one called in by a knifekill-streak that can see targets through rooftops!)

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Against most reviewers, I've enjoyed Metroid: Other M. I won't pick it up all that much now that I've finished it, but I'll still watch the cutscenes.

Against most people here on the Escapist, I've enjoyed every Modern Warfare and Halo game, even Halo Wars, not as much as the others, but still.

Against most of my friends, Dante's Inferno. I thought it was fun, it did no justice for the poem, but on its own merits it was a good action game.

Osaka117

Feb 20, 2011
Starke said:
Chrome had John St.John doing the voice of the bland as a brick protagonist. It's another bad game, but can be a lot of fun, and it's not Duke, but it's still John St.John... :p
Jon St. John IS Duke Nukem to me, he breaths life into the character because of how talented he is. And I think I know who Jon St. John is, since I met the man at ConnectiCon 2011 and he signed my copy of Duke Nukem Forever. The greatest day of my life so far.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Final Fantasy XIII comes to mind.

It seems like almost everyone on here hates that game.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
And Persona 4 is the only game i could ever call perfect, yet my friends refuse to give it the time of day. Probably because on paper the concept sounds really bad...
My friends put it like this: In order for Persona 4 to be good, it needs cover based shooting and two truck loads of manly testosterone. The anime also needs to go "Bye-Bye", because real men don't watch silly cartoon-y japanese people.

I just ignored them and jumped into my plasma screen.

OT: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Being the first Metal Gear I played, I went in not knowing much about Snake or Big Boss other than what I was exsposed to in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Once I got about half way through the game, I was hooked. I'm not usually a stealth game kind of guy, but this was beyond fantastic, even for a portable game.

After that, I decided to play through the series in it's entirety.

My friends called me crazy for liking something different, but what do they know? All they play is Call Of Duty.

moxretroero

Mar 1, 2010
Dragon Age 2. I was shocked when I saw it was on a lot of peoples' "Worst games of 2011", when it is clearly on my "Best games of 2011." I actually liked it a measure more than the original Dragon Age (better story, UI, gameplay, and side characters; worse area variety, smaller world, and cant be an elf/dwarf), and I'm even more in the minority on that. I've never played a Bioware game that I wouldn't recommend. Ah well, we'll see how many people can be won back by DA3.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
neonsword13-ops said:
The Wykydtron said:
And Persona 4 is the only game i could ever call perfect, yet my friends refuse to give it the time of day. Probably because on paper the concept sounds really bad...
My friends put it like this: In order for Persona 4 to be good, it needs cover based shooting and two truck loads of manly testosterone. The anime also needs to go "Bye-Bye", because real men don't watch silly cartoon-y japanese people.

I just ignored them and jumped into my plasma screen.

OT: Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Snip for brevity's sake.
God, if anyone uses the phrase "real men don't X" 100% seriously (and they're not suffering from deep seated acceptance issues) then they deserve to be boiled alive in a vat of liquid testosterone!

Real man your way out of that! You pile of wank!

And i think the anime should go "Bye Bye" as well... Only for a completely different reason, it's not bad per se (in fact it did the best it possibly could have done when making a Persona 4 anime.)

It's just inferior to the game in every possible way and anyone watching it without having played the game first is going to have fuck all idea of what's going on. But i'm totally going to go five ways bananas when they release an english dub. I need Naoto's dubbed voice like burning

Now the real question is why i'm still awake at 5 in morning... Go team insomnia!

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
chickenhound said:
kirby's air ride

I like it more than mario kart and everyone thinks I am nuts
That game was fucking awesome. I had a friend who would play this game with me whenever he came over.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Prototype. LOVED it. If they screw the sequel up appealing to the masses, I'll be very sad-face.

Also another vote for Mirror's Edge, beautiful and unique game, and FFVIII; it was the first FF I ever played and it blew my mind; I was shocked to hear it wasn't as well received as I took it.

The-Fiction

Sep 9, 2011
Andrew Record said:
Too Human
I dug the atmosphere, the look, the weapons, the armor, the classes, the enemies, the level design, all sorts of things. I hated the combat but it was autopilot after awhile. I was bummed to hear the sequels are probably DOA
Too Human for me as well... Though I think the main reason I enjoyed it so much was because I played it exclusively with my friend so it was a lot of fun. If I had played it on my own I imagine I'd have found it much more tiresome...

Saika Renegade

Nov 18, 2009
Many offerings by Koei. Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, et al. Critics and even a good number of fellow gamers deride it as samey, repetitive hack-and-slashing. For one, if it gets repetitive, the most recent games offer a wide variety of characters, movesets, and tactics, and if you don't want to deal with historical figures beating on each other, you can always jump to Gundam or Fist of the North Star--between giant robots and heads exploding, there's got to be something to keep people entertained there.

I think I enjoy these games because I approach it with a particular mindset, not unlike this little train of thought: "I am but one person who shall face the hordes. I shall ascend to victory on a mountain piled from their corpses."

k3v1n

Sep 7, 2008
I'm gonna go with Too Human and Kane & Lynch: Dead men. I gotta admit, at first I hated them too, but they slowly grew fond of me.I ended up liking both of them despite it's flaws

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
scorptatious said:
chickenhound said:
kirby's air ride

I like it more than mario kart and everyone thinks I am nuts
That game was fucking awesome. I had a friend who would play this game with me whenever he came over.
I had that game! At the time I had pretty much no idea who Kirby was. I'd seen the character but never seen any game he was in, apart from Smash Bros. But I had no idea anyone else even played that game! That's the first time I've ever seen anyone even mention it since I got it. I didn't really understand the game much but I had a blast with it at the time. The levels were awesomely designed, and I loved the weird unicycle thing you could use in it.

OT: Can't really think of anything... TDU2 I suppose. I know it's not that great. The voice acting is painful but the driving is pretty fun. But the game has it's fans, it's not universally hated.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
I've yet to encounter someone that doesn't want to burn every copy of Fable 2 and Fable 3 they can find. But I love those games.