Games for Windows FAIL

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
I didn't have this much trouble, though I did have to accept the terms of conditions on two different accounts (one of which being my brother's).

beema

Aug 19, 2009
yeah, GFW is an epic pile of shit. There really is no excusing it. Like why can't you manage your games/profile from the GFW program itself? You can only do that from IN GAME. The standalone program does absolutely nothing except have links that take you to the GFW store in your browser. What in the hell is the point of that? Why is the program even there?

I'm glad to see more and more games abandoning GFW for Steam. While Steam isn't perfect, at least it works and has a good community and doesn't treat PC users like bastardized XBLA users.

Killerbunny001

Oct 23, 2008
GFWL denied me the possibility of getting the DLCs for Fallout 3 and insisted on being a ***** and ruining my Red Faction experience. That said I will never ever ever use it.

Sud0_x

Dec 16, 2009
As others have mentioned the CD key thing happens from time to time on Steam too, I only recently discovered that fact. I own a few GFWL games, I own a few Steam games (All through retail). If you create a local profile and choose to forgo the online services you can fire up your games no hassle AT ALL, in this regard "Games for Windows Fail" > Steam. That's all I'm saying. Personally, I'm not a fan of either. I'm really, really not.
By the way I can't wait for the huge writeup bashing Steam
OHNOWAI....
I usually like your content Shamus, but bludgeoning one service to death while ignoring the rest is rather distasteful.
EDIT
Now I realise I may just come across as having a vendetta against Steam, you know what, I kinda do.
But what I'm trying to get at is this:
I understand you had a fucking TERRIBLE experience and this article was probably a heat of the moment thing. I'd have preferred if you'd slowed down and done a writeup on the shortcomings of the still young Digital Distribution business, and included all platforms (or more realistically all the current big players). Your spiel would have fit in just fine under the same heading but within a larger commentary and you would be very much justified in ranking this particular service bottom of the table based on your experiences.
I'll leave you with these parting words:
Big picture my friend, big picture.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
Microsoft just plain straight out fails at lots of things, with the exception of microsoft office or thier operating system. Windows sucks so bad they had to sue htc and motorola in order to force them to make the next crappy windows phone. i went from widows mobile to android(which is newer to the mobile world than wm and nailed it when wm failed it). i also hate GFWL. It is far inferier to Steam, and in my opinion is made to be crappy to force others to resort to thier piece of crap rigged red ring of death crapbox 360. microsoft is a ripoff company nothing more and nothing less. After having to deal with gfwl with Batman AA, i realized its more trouble to play a game that uses gfwl.

Sinspiration

Mar 7, 2010
You know, if the title of this thread didn't read Games for Windows FAIL and just Games for Windows, I would still have been able to predict the contents.

Games for Windows,
keyword: Windows

Windows in and of itself generally represents failure, problems and misery except when it does get some things right, a lot of the time the things its getting right is making things difficult for the user.

Part of me wants to ask "What part of this whole proceeding surprises you?" the rest just feels sorry for you.

Hafnium

Jun 15, 2009
Had pretty much the same experience, up to the point of installing the game, which I'm holding for when I have some space on the harddrive. Horrible horrible system..

Joshimodo

Sep 13, 2008
Here's how my purchase of AoEIII went:

Load up GFWL, accept new ToS blah blah.

Click the offer.

Purchase, accept.

Download.

Play game.

Also, your point about GFWL running after closing down? Steam does that too.

That said, GFWL is abominable. It's so clunky and restricted, and the majority of content is overpriced as fuck. I hate having to use it, and I'm thankful when games don't have to use it.

templargunman

Oct 23, 2008
It sucks that that happened to people, but it worked for me, I bought that and Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 (because I fucking love that game) and both work fine.

Thepostaldude1

Sep 27, 2010
I wanted to pick this game up, i was so excited to see it was only 40 points... But then i realized i was a day late.

Sadface

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
My friend and I have had some, well, "less than ideal" experiences with trying to run Bioshock 2 through it, and all the hand-wringing about Steam becoming a monopoly has a simple answer: Make something that's better than Steam. But the guys at Microsoft, realizing what an impossibly tall order that is, seem to have just given up and mashed their hands on the keyboard for a while to code it. But by all means try; as Shamus said, competition here is definitely a good thing.

Luke Cartner

May 6, 2010
Its gotten to the point where I dont even use my xbox any more, my dvd drive was broken my the 3 year old 6 months ago and I havn't fixed it/dont care. There really is no substitute for steam. while to worries me long term about competitiveness here in a Australia it cant be worse than the jb hifi/game/eb games oligopoly. And steam really has brought me fun and interesting games again at a fraction of what I pay (remember I live in Australia) over the counter.. And games for the kids that they actually like too, rather than re-skins of boring console games..

FrossetMareritt

Sep 10, 2008
I bet there were numerous choice words after the first problem with Firefox (obviously not not you browser's fault)... and I'm betting there were even more and louder choice words when you found out they "ran out of keys".

Bruce Edwards

Feb 17, 2010
This is frighteningly similar to my experience. With the caveat that I was never actually able to purchase AOEIII, as I live in New Zealand - which apparently means I'm only allowed to purchase games through the GFWL client, and not through the web store. WTF?

And by the time I figured this out, the sale had ended.

Also, has anyone else noticed that game prices aren't displayed by default when shopping using the GFWL client?

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Thanks for the heads up Shamus. I was planning on purchasing stuff, but if you had such hardwork getting it to run, I don't fancy my chances. I especially do not wish to feel that level of stress either.

I mean if you were a fool I would have written up your story as someone who can't work a PC but you seem to have your head screwed on straight (If not better than most people I know). So I'd probably just have as much trouble as you, if not more.