Games for Windows FAIL

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Yeah, I once tried to buy a game or update of some sort of GFWL and couldn't make any headway. I only ever played DoWII single player offline as trying to play online took an age to do anything. Now I have no trace of GFWL on my machine and I'm much happier for it, I only ever buy hardcopy or digital from 3rd party download stores.

EDIT:....Holy fucking shit...I've just had a look on my control panel, and somehow it's got itself installed on my PC...HOW?!? I never asked for it, I've never installed it...where the fuck did it come from?. It's going right now. RAAAAAAGE.

Wes1180

Wes1180
Jul 25, 2009
I couldn't even get to the part for to download it because of the terms and conditions that I apparently didn't agree to but I did... Oh well, one less ten pence for them XD

bawkbawkboo1

Nov 20, 2008
I had similarly bad experience when I bought Bioshock 2 off of Steam when it came out. The game randomly crashed at least four times before the GFWL patch came out, and then it didn't crash at all, leaving me to think that it was GFWL that caused the whole game to crash those times. At least they patched that, but that's still not a good sign that it was crashing the whole game consistently.

Here's a tip for people who don't want their CPU overheated by going to 100% for the duration of game patch downloads through GFWL: If you are on Win7, just go to the control panel, then Hardware and Sound, then Power Options, then change whatever plan you are on, then Advanced. Within this window go to "Processor Power Management" and then maximum state. Reduce that to about 50%. OK it, and then undo it after you're done with GFWL.

I_am_acting

Sep 11, 2010
GFWL is the shittiest thing i have ever seen, the only game i got with this was fallout 3 and after 4 HOURS i was finally able to save my games properly

this service is just unacceptable when compared to how well Steam runs by comparison

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Lord_Gremlin said:
1)Newer use anything other than Steam on PC.
2)NEVER believe Microsoft and try avoiding their products.
Most sane people learned that long ago.
You have a legitimate point.

They've managed to create an OS that runs fairly well on basically all of the essentially infinitely many combinations of PC parts you can put into a system.

That alone is grounds enough not to trust them.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Haha! I have games for Windows cause of my copy of Halo 2 PC. I bought Empire TW on Steam... and randomly GFWL locked me out of my STEAM GAME because it was compatible with Empire and I hadn't entered a Key Code.

Luckily enough, the Steam interface allowed me to bypass that stupidity straight away! Thank you Valve :D

Sicram

Mar 17, 2010
I'll be astonished when GFWL actually works somewhat.

I'll be even more astonished if they'd actually keep PC and shitbox seperated. Yes, sure, fine for those who have that darn thing but as a PC player I don't give half a crap.

Also, the last lines really cracked me up!

Anti-Robot Man

Apr 5, 2010
I have had no problems with GFWL, loved getting AoE 3 for 10p. It is a joke in comparison to Steam though, if I was in Microsoft's shoes I'd be embarressed and start over from scratch.

LoganN

Jun 24, 2010
SextusMaximus said:
Haha! I have games for Windows cause of my copy of Halo 2 PC. I bought Empire TW on Steam... and randomly GFWL locked me out of my STEAM GAME because it was compatible with Empire and I hadn't entered a Key Code.

Luckily enough, the Steam interface allowed me to bypass that stupidity straight away! Thank you Valve :D
Damn shame it didn't allow you to bypass your own stupidity. Empire Total War doesn't use Games for Windows LIVE. At all. In fact, none of the Empire games do. So uh, gg?

SirBryghtside said:
Anaphyis said:
SirBryghtside said:
Man, this sounds awful... I've never tried it, but it's caused me to stay away from a couple of games.

Just to confirm, will I need GFWL to play BioShock, if I get it off Steam? Because I want to try it out.
Bioshock 1, no. Bioshock 2, yes.
Thank GOD.

I got a new computer recently, and I want to try out some games to test run it - and BioShock sounds fun, so why not?

Thanks for the info, made me happy :)
A lot of people who give GFWL a bad rep have never used it. Don't be one of those people. Give it a shot.

Void(null) said:
Lets not forget GDWL only allows you to install any game a maximum of 15 times, and every-time you add the same CD key to the exact same GFWL account it counts as an install.

Reinstall Windows? Need to re-add all your CD Keys. Uninstall the game and reinstall it? Need to add it to GFWL yet again even though its the same PC and yep... that counts as another install with no way to revoke licenses.
Sort of. SSA keys don't have any install limits. It is up to the developers to use SSA keys or not. They know the limitations.

Also, games purchased on the marketplace don't have the fifteen limit regardless of the keys used. Although, they do have a five per month limit.

Squeaky

Mar 6, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
You're forgetting Shamus, Microsoft told Valve that Steam wouldn't be possible for another ten years in 2003. We still have three years to wait before GFWL might be as good as Steam was at launch...

...dear God in Heaven...
A bit optimistic with the time scale there lol.

GFWL really is attrousious it put me totally of DoW 2 due to its stupidly long join times to get into an Multiplayer game Vs or Co-Op it was still a drudge to get into a game they probly fixed it ages ago but i cant be bothered with GFWL.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
buy teh haloz said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
For the love of Cthulhu, email this to them! They might actually listen to you.
Are you shitting me? This is Microsoft we're talking here. Their customer service is so horrible they make Dell look like Gods.
I was being optimistic for a change.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
LoganN said:
SextusMaximus said:

Damn shame it didn't allow you to bypass your own stupidity. Empire Total War doesn't use Games for Windows LIVE. At all. In fact, none of the Empire games do. So uh, gg?
Grow up. Dare call me stupid? I merely assumed it was compatible with GFWL because it LOCKED ME OUT OF THE GAME, REQUESTING A KEY. The point still remains.

Next time, tell me something without hurting your own respect here.

gring

Sep 14, 2010
yup, went for the 10 cent sale for this game too. i had all the same problems, minus a few steps. but still, this thing is fail on its own, but has anyone looked at their game library? its beyond weak, its almost non existent.

pass.

and of course, microsoft does another complete copy of someone elses idea and implements its horribly. I cannot think of ONE original idea to come from microsoft.

LoganN

Jun 24, 2010
SextusMaximus said:
LoganN said:
SextusMaximus said:

Grow up. Dare call me stupid? I merely assumed it was compatible with GFWL because it LOCKED ME OUT OF THE GAME, REQUESTING A KEY. The point still remains.

Next time, tell me something without hurting your own respect here.
I'm telling you you are wrong. Empire: Total War does not use Games for Windows - LIVE, in any way. It isn't even installed with it. It is a Games for Windows game, but not LIVE enabled. In fact, it is a Steamworks title. Games for Windows - LIVE doesn't run with it at all. If anything was locking you out, it was your precious Valve.