Games Now Legally Considered an Art Form (in the USA)

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
SageRuffin said:
Dango said:
I still don't really get why everyone thinks games have to be art.
As do I, good sir/madam. As do I.
They don't HAVE to be art in the same way a drawing or doodle doesn't HAVE to be art. Just because some games don't want to be seen as art doesn't mean they should all only be considered at that level.

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
McMullen said:
Treblaine said:
I suggest to all people who don't like this move to a country without personal taxes, like the United Arab Emirates (government funds itself entirely from Oil Royalties) and see if it's worth it.
Wow, I had no idea there was such a thing as a tax-free nation. If anyone could do it, they could I suppose.

Wonder how ugly it gets when the oil runs out...

Yeah, I have a lot of problems with how taxes are spent, but I don't consider everything a theft or waste (I make an exception for the raises that Congress gives itself though, especially when it does so right after or before declining to raise the minimum wage. Fuck that. Fuck it with two fists and sandpaper gloves.)
Not every tax can be considered theft, especially if the one being taxed is directly benefiting through the taxation, ie road upkeep and law enforcement. However, I would be very hesitant about using someone else's money to fund an artistic endeavor, especially if they don't want to support that endeavor in the first place.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
WolfEdge said:
SageRuffin said:
Dango said:
They don't HAVE to be art in the same way a drawing or doodle doesn't HAVE to be art. Just because some games don't want to be seen as art doesn't mean they should all only be considered at that level.
Of course, this begs the question "how does a game qualify as artistic?" If you ask me, Bulletstorm is just as much art as Limbo, CoD as much art of everyone's favorite artistic scapegoat, if you will, SotC, etc.

If we're just talking basics like graphics, story-telling, or even just fucking box art, then haven't games been art since their conception?

Ericb

Sep 26, 2006
WolfEdge said:
SageRuffin said:
Dango said:
Art is not a qualitative.

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
WolfEdge said:
McMullen said:
Treblaine said:
I suggest to all people who don't like this move to a country without personal taxes, like the United Arab Emirates (government funds itself entirely from Oil Royalties) and see if it's worth it.
Wow, I had no idea there was such a thing as a tax-free nation. If anyone could do it, they could I suppose.

Yeah, I have a lot of problems with how taxes are spent, but I don't consider everything a theft or waste (I make an exception for the raises that Congress gives itself though, especially when it does so right after or before declining to raise the minimum wage. Fuck that. Fuck it with two fists and sandpaper gloves.)
Not every tax can be considered theft, especially if the one being taxed is directly benefiting through the taxation, ie road upkeep and law enforcement. However, I would be very hesitant about using someone else's money to fund an artistic endeavor, especially if they don't want to support that endeavor in the first place.
I... think we agree?

I guess I snipped all the context out of the quoted posts.

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
Treblaine said:
WolfEdge said:
CosmicCommander said:
Oh, great! Now games can steal taxpayers money!
To be honest, this is what went through my mind as well. I've never really understood why the government feels the need to fund any sort of artistic endeavor, with money taken from someone who didn't necessarily want to give it in the first place, towards a cause that doesn't really effect said person.

I mean, I'm happy we're finally gaining some protection and legitimacy and all that, but still, it's always struck an odd nerve with me.
Very good point on how this will make it easier to defend games (in America) from being censored using the 1st amendment. But to address you concerns:

1. you aren't given this money without asking for it
2. you need to prove your project is more worthy than everyone else's ideas to get it
3. The project is then made available for free like a public work of art or a free game on XBLA

Seriously, the government might pay for people to make free games. Some people don't want to go the indie commerce route or just don't have the means to live without income for 2-3 years developing a game that may very well make very little to no money (and you weren't interested in profit anyway).
But why extract those funds from someone who doesn't necessarily want to give it? If a person isn't interested in profiting from their own work, then why is it ok to force someone else to foot the bill for their own self-admitting monetarily worthless expenditure of effort? If it's something you don't want to make a living out of doing, then why worry about money at all? Why not just do it, without forcing the compliance of others?

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Dango said:
binvjoh said:
Can I get a hell yes?

Dango said:
I don't think it's as much about being considered art as it's about getting some sort of recognition of the value as a serious part of society.
You know that's the first convincing argument I've heard so far.

I just don't think we have to force ourselves into another medium in order to be accepted.
This is also due to USA laws mind you, where artistic expression must be written protection. Id love to see you define what ART is if a certain media portion got disputed in court.

Also, games dont HAVE TO be art. but they CAN BE. and given how you have to be recognized by law in the US as art to get artistic freedom....well, we have to put them under that recognition for safety.

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
SageRuffin said:
WolfEdge said:
SageRuffin said:
Dango said:
Of course, this begs the question "how does a game qualify as artistic?" If you ask me, Bulletstorm is just as much art as Limbo, CoD as much art of everyone's favorite artistic scapegoat, if you will, SotC, etc.

If we're just talking basics like graphics, story-telling, or even just fucking box art, then haven't games been art since their conception?
It's all about individual context, in my opinion. The point is that the MEDIUM of gaming can produce artistic pieces, and is therefor worth protecting as an artform.

Spawny0908

Feb 11, 2009
binvjoh said:
Can I get a hell yes?

Dango said:
I don't think it's as much about being considered art as it's about getting some sort of recognition of the value as a serious part of society.
HELL YES!

Rickyvantof

May 6, 2009
Jonluw said:
That's good.
Are we going to get abstract games now? Dadaistic games?

Are we going to see an interactive version of 'My bed'?
Dadaism in games would be so awesome.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
McMullen said:
Treblaine said:

Oh that'll be a shitstorm but get this: 85% of the population of the UAE are immigrants.

That's right, only 10-20% are actual naturalised citizens, all the rest are foreign labourers (pakistani), middle class clerks (egyptian, by my measure) with western/chinese/japanese executives.

So if worst comes to worst they can just deport most of the population.

Ether way, if they don't find alternate income they are going to crash HARD! Why else do you think Dubai is investing so much in these super building projects like that Half-Mile-High hotel? Oil money is cheap now... but did they invest it right?

PS: you don't want your elected officials too afraid to give themselves a raise or they'll end up like UK politicians. IMO, it's generated too many negative consequences as it just puts the wrong sorts of pressures on elected officials.

Remember politics is an uncertain career path, one term you have a job then the next you may be out in the cold for 4 YEARS. How is your bank going to like that when it comes to mortgage payments especially if you were on average income in past 4 years? What other career has such job insecurity? Well the ones that do and are as important you'll find are similarly highly paid.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
WolfEdge said:
It's all about individual context, in my opinion. The point is that the MEDIUM of gaming can produce artistic pieces, and is therefor worth protecting as an artform.
Then why couldn't people just leave it at that? The way I see it (speaking clearly for myself and myself alone), the game as a whole is not art in the same sense I wouldn't call a movie/film art. We're not gonna agree on this most likely, but I view games are more of an amalgamation of various art forms: music, drawing (concept images and such), writing, assuming any of that applies of course.

It's just like the one guy who won a... Grammy? for one of his pieces (I forget the name). And it just so happened that this same composer did a lot of work in video games. And what happened? A lot of people were were nothing short of friggin' themselves over that, claiming that "games are starting to be considered art". Balls to that, I say; suppose the song was that from an actual game? The fact would remain that the game itself wasn't considered "artistic", whatever the fuck that even means at this point, but the song featured in the game was what won the award. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most soundtracks do very well at standing on their own (save ME2; try to listen to those character themes by themselves and they just sound schizophrenic and disjointed).

I know I sound angry and inflammatory, but the whole "games as art" discussion bothers me to no end. I'd rather stop talking about it if that's all right with you.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
WolfEdge said:
Treblaine said:
Very good point on how this will make it easier to defend games (in America) from being censored using the 1st amendment. But to address you concerns:

1. you aren't given this money without asking for it
2. you need to prove your project is more worthy than everyone else's ideas to get it
3. The project is then made available for free like a public work of art or a free game on XBLA

Seriously, the government might pay for people to make free games. Some people don't want to go the indie commerce route or just don't have the means to live without income for 2-3 years developing a game that may very well make very little to no money (and you weren't interested in profit anyway).
But why extract those funds from someone who doesn't necessarily want to give it? If a person isn't interested in profiting from their own work, then why is it ok to force someone else to foot the bill for their own self-admitting monetarily worthless expenditure of effort? If it's something you don't want to make a living out of doing, then why worry about money at all? Why not just do it, without forcing the compliance of others?
"someone who doesn't necessarily want to give it?"

What, the taxpayers? Tough titty. The taxpayers elected the government that decides what the public needs and that includes public art which can also extend to video games if distributed correctly.

People don't "necessarily want to" pay for the US Navy, but it has done a heck of a lot to serve the United States in its long history at the taxpayers expense.

And yes, artists have expenditures even if they are not in this for profit nor a living. They still have to eat, even a sculptor needs a stone and tools to carve it with.

Think about it, if they make something for the public, as in freely available for all; no ads, no charity bin, no nothing, then they will go bankrupt as while they work on this project - for the public - as they try to pay for gas, electricity, food, rent, etc.

Remember, for the public. Free. They can't make promises to the bank or take out a loan as after all this effort they'd get nothing for this as it'd go in a public space or distributed for free.

Not everyone has a rich benefactor. Actually that's what the government is doing her, being a rich benefactor.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
Heheheheh art....Lejla, approaches him with an offer to star in an "art film" being directed by Vukmir.

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
SageRuffin said:
WolfEdge said:
Then why couldn't people just leave it at that? The way I see it (speaking clearly for myself and myself alone), the game as a whole is not art in the same sense I wouldn't call a movie/film art. We're not gonna agree on this most likely, but I view games are more of an amalgamation of various art forms: music, drawing (concept images and such), writing, assuming any of that applies of course.

It's just like the one guy who won a... Grammy? for one of his pieces (I forget the name). And it just so happened that this same composer did a lot of work in video games. And what happened? A lot of people were were nothing short of friggin' themselves over that, claiming that "games are starting to be considered art". Balls to that, I say; suppose the song was that from an actual game? The fact would remain that the game itself wasn't considered "artistic", whatever the fuck that even means at this point, but the song featured in the game was what won the award. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most soundtracks do very well at standing on their own (save ME2; try to listen to those character themes by themselves and they just sound schizophrenic and disjointed).

I know I sound angry and inflammatory, but the whole "games as art" discussion bothers me to no end. I'd rather stop talking about it if that's all right with you.
In this particular case, it's not about validation so much as it is PROTECTION. This ruling sets a powerful precedent for games that DO want to take that leap to artistry, while still allowing the freedoms of those that don't to remain intact.