Games that are great...except for the game part.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Lollipop Chainsaw - I love the characters, soundtrack, and voice acting, but the gameplay is not that good. I heard some people say, Matt McMuscles, that it's unfair to compare this to DMC and that it plays more like a PS2 game. I wish no offense to the man, and I love the guy dearly, but he is full of crap in this case. The combat is by no means horrible, but there are PS2, GC, and OG XBOX games with better combat than Lollipop Chainsaw. Most of Grasshopper's/Suda51's melee action combat games have way better gameplay than this, and more fun enemies to fight. The fact it's another hack n slash typical QTEs, mini-games that are very hit or miss (where failing them caused death regardless, if it makes sense or not), does not help. It was around this point that zombies were getting tiring, and you had a franchise such as Onechanbara add in vampires and other non-zombie mosnters starting with the Z series.

The game sold well, but seems to age worse in the gameplay section. I find the combat better in Shadows of the Damned or Killer 7, than this game.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Lollipop Chainsaw - I love the characters, soundtrack, and voice acting, but the gameplay is not that good. I heard some people say, Matt McMuscles, that it's unfair to compare this to DMC and that it plays more like a PS2 game. I wish no offense to the man, and I love the guy dearly, but he is full of crap in this case. The combat is by no means horrible, but there are PS2, GC, and OG XBOX games with better combat than Lollipop Chainsaw. Most of Grasshopper's/Suda51's melee action combat games have way better gameplay than this, and more fun enemies to fight. The fact it's another hack n slash typical QTEs, mini-games that are very hit or miss (where failing them caused death regardless, if it makes sense or not), does not help. It was around this point that zombies were getting tiring, and you had a franchise such as Onechanbara add in vampires and other non-zombie mosnters starting with the Z series.

The game sold well, but seems to age worse in the gameplay section. I find the combat better in Shadows of the Damned or Killer 7, than this game.
"It's unfair to compare it to DMC and it plays more like a PS2 game."

DMC IS a PS2 game!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
"It's unfair to compare it to DMC and it plays more like a PS2 game."

DMC IS a PS2 game!
I made a mistake on that part. He does mention the combat is not as good/or not as refined as Bayonetta or DMC. But he does say LC plays better than No More Heroes (very debatable as that had way better combat than LC. LC does have better pacing and does not drag as much) and Dynasty Warriors (Debatable, but I found some DW games more fun than LC). With Killer Is Dead coming in a year later and just showing average the combat actually is. As far as best unreal engine 3 game; that is super debatable. Compared to all of the wannabe Gears wannabes, yes, because of the colors. But their are many URE3 games better than LC in terms of combat and art direction.

The ps2 comment was from some random guy on either a GameFaqs forum or other. My bad.

Last edited:

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Deadly Premonition. Just watch a Let's Play (I recommend Helloween's), you'll get all the charm from the characters without the more droll gameplay and have to look at the PS2 era environments.

Conker's Bad Fur Day is kind of crap mechanically. The controls don't really feel good at all. Despite that, it's still the best Rare platformer I've played on the N64. Banjo Kazooie and especially DK64 were such slogs. Conker was concise, and paced pretty well.
I think it's not even so much the controls being bad, they are, but that you're constantly having to learn new control schemes. Like, let's look at this...

We have, Drunk Conker, Sober Conker, Heavy Item Carrying Conker, Slingshot Conker, Poo Rolling Conker, Franky Riding Conker, Knife Throwing Conker, Bull Riding Conker, Tightrope Balancing Conker, Swimming Conker, Toilet Paper Throwing Conker, Headlight Swimming Conker, Pissing Conker, Jetboard Riding Conker, Raptor Riding Conker, Barrel Riding Conker, Shotgun Conker, Bat Conker, Machine Gun Conker, Turret Shooting, Matrix Conker, and finally Alien's Loader Conker. And I've probably forgotten some.

You have to learn entirely new control schemes and be competent at them to get through their segments only to then never use them again in most cases. If the entire game was just the default controls then you could and can eventually get used to their weirdness, but having to do it over and over again? That's where the frustration comes from.

Last edited:

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Honest Game Trailers reminded me of the early command and conquer games, which I enjoyed but not because the gameplay was particularly good. In fact, the gameplay got downright tedious, even at the time. Red Alert was particularly bad, because there were a couple missions where the mission objective was "Kill everything". By "everything", they mean EVERYTHING. There was at least one mission where it was possible to have won but the Mission Accomplished wouldn't triggered because there was one dude hiding in the corner of the map, or worse, a camouflaged pillbox(which are almost impossible to see when the enemy has them) and you had to kill that last thing to trigger a mission win. Soviet Missions were particularly bad about defaulting to the "Kill everything" objective, while the Allied missions tended to be a bit more interesting and varied.

Red Alert 2 had the courtesy of either giving you a key structure to wipe out or once an enemy base had been gutted enough, the enemy would just sell all their buildings at once, handing the victory to you. I know some people didn't like it but I was appreciative of how much faster that made the missions flow. Not "Oh, there's one guy left. Can't declare victory until that one soldier hiding in the corner of the map is dead".

Reactions: BrawlMan

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Surprised it's only been mentioned once, but yeah, I'll go with Spec Ops: the Line. Everything about the game was excellent especially all the (consistent) details that were pretty easy to miss without a second playthrough (but who'd want to put themselves through that again). But the gameplay? It was nothing but functional at best one could almost call it bad.

Reactions: Kae

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Dark Sector. I love dark, violent games that are covered in infection and living oozes (i.e.: I love the character of Venom, and Prototype is probably one of my favorite games from last gen,) and Dark Sector pretty much nails this with a protagonist (Hayden) who's infected with a disease that, through the course of the game, imbues him with increasingly powerful abilities and turns his body into living armor. However, it would seem the "aesthetics and cool powers" development team took about 80% of the budget because the mechanics are utter shit.

It's an over the shoulder, 3rd-person action game, but the camera is fixed, meaning Hayden's whole body has to face whichever direction you want to look, plus it's extremely stiff and it's difficult to maneuver, which becomes a HUGE problem in the often frenetic firefights you'll find yourself in. The Glaive (a biological boomerang disc blade thing) is an awesome weapon, but the guns, oh man, they are BAD and unfortunately, they are necessary; the Glaive, the only unlimited offensive resource, is slow and is terrible at crowd control, and there are a LOT of crowds in Dark Sector. Considering the stiffness of the fixed camera, trying to aim a gun is...ok, imagine your entire upper body is in a body cast with your shooting arm stuck pointing straight forward. Yeah, it makes for some very frustrating and often unfair one-against-many encounters.

Still, I managed to beat the game on its hardest difficulty.:cool:

Reactions: BrawlMan and Kae

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Xprimentyl

There's a walkthrough on the LP archive gives you the guides to the best upgrades for your guns that makes the game broken. Believe it or not, dark Sector was originally going to be Dead Space before Dead Space even existed. it went through change after the development team saw Gears of War and Resident Evil 4. it's really noticeable in the first chapter, because Hayden holds his pistol like Leon's. But only in that chapter for some strange reason. The first chapter is black and white only for some unknown reason. At least dark Sector fans got Warframe out of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
@Xprimentyl

There's a walkthrough on the LP archive gives you the guides to the best upgrades for your guns that makes the game broken. Believe it or not, dark sector was originally going to be Dead Space before Dead space even existed. it went through change after the development seen saw Gears of War and Resident Evil 4. it's really noticeable in the first chapter, because Hayden holds his pistol like Leon's. But only in that chapter for some strange reason. The first chapter is black and white only for some unknown reason. At least dark sector fans got Warframe out of it.
Wow, I didn't know that about Dead Space/Dark Sector, but the Gears influence was pretty dominant; I picked up on that on my own; I immediately thought of it as a poor man's Gears, but still loved it.

And optimizing the gun upgrades might improve their performance, but they still don't affect how they handle; the game is just a mechanical mess. (But I still loved it!) I might try to track down that LP, though; I'm curious what I might have overlooked.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Wow, I didn't know that about Dead Space/Dark Sector, but the Gears influence was pretty dominant; I picked up on that on my own; I immediately thought of it as a poor man's Gears, but still loved it.

And optimizing the gun upgrades might improve their performance, but they still don't affect how they handle; the game is just a mechanical mess. (But I still loved it!) I might try to track down that LP, though; I'm curious what I might have overlooked.
Here is the link.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009

If you want to play something that might have been closer to the vision they had for Dark Sector then you should check out Warframe, the Excalibur frame was even in Dark Sector at some point.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
If you want to play something that might have been closer to the vision they had for Dark Sector then you should check out Warframe, the Excalibur frame was even in Dark Sector at some point.
I'm not much for multiplayer games anymore, so despite it certainly looking enticing, gonna have to be a hard pass for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'm not much for multiplayer games anymore, so despite it certainly looking enticing, gonna have to be a hard pass for me. Thanks for the suggestion, though!
You might still want to give it a shot. Its multi, but its multi you can ignore generally. Like, I've put over 1k hours into it and I really just pug and its no big thing since the meat of the game is pve, there is pvp but its kinda crap, and really just running around with other people mainly just helps if you get downed and to give the enemies someone else to shot at. But even if you go in solo its fun, you still have 3 lives per mission and can do most of the game without anyone else, in fact the story missions limit you to you and anyone you explicitly invite, you can't even pug those.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
You might still want to give it a shot. Its multi, but its multi you can ignore generally. Like, I've put over 1k hours into it and I really just pug and its no big thing since the meat of the game is pve, there is pvp but its kinda crap, and really just running around with other people mainly just helps if you get downed and to give the enemies someone else to shot at. But even if you go in solo its fun, you still have 3 lives per mission and can do most of the game without anyone else, in fact the story missions limit you to you and anyone you explicitly invite, you can't even pug those.
Oh, so it's like Destiny or something like that? Hmm... maybe.

But what is "pug?"

EDIT: Googled it, "pick up game."

Last edited:

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Oh, so it's like Destiny or something like that? Hmm... maybe.

But what is "pug?"

EDIT: Googled it, "pick up game."
Yeah kinda, the way it works is that you have your own ship, then you select missions to do, if you have it set to play with others then the game will put you all in a group you run through the mission together then usually the groups will disband, you can also set it to just play with people on your friends list or only people in your group before hand or just totally solo. I prefer the benefit of having others around to revive me but its really not needed, especially depending on your frame and how good your kit is (I have a few frames and weapons that are hard enough to down that I can take on level 70+ missions solo easily, that won't mean anything to you unless you get into the game). If you are with other players then it tends to just be a 4 person squad, there are raids that have more and require more teamwork but I'm not sure if any of those are even around anymore.

blackdiamond

Jul 1, 2020
Country
United States
Most JRPGs in a nutshell, FF and Xenoblade series seem to have good stories but the gameplay and all the grinding that comes with it does not appeal to me one bit.

Same deal with Star Wars Old Republic, i'm pissed that we finally got a continuation of KOTOR and it came in the form of a damn MMO with the same boring hotkey-based gameplay that WOW had that never appealed to me. I'd much rather watch a playthrough of TOR that slog through it myself.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Same deal with Star Wars Old Republic, i'm pissed that we finally got a continuation of KOTOR and it came in the form of a damn MMO with the same boring hotkey-based gameplay that WOW had that never appealed to me. I'd much rather watch a playthrough of TOR that slog through it myself.
I’m not certain I agree; KOTOR combat felt very static to me when I played it. Nor that TOR’s gameplay is amazing but it felt better than what I remember of either KOTOR games. Plus the Sith warrior campaign has Avon from Blake’s Seven so that’s an automatic win.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah, it is implied that Warframe and dark Sector take place in the same universe, and that the former takes place after the latter.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Yeah, it is implied that Warframe and dark Sector take place in the same universe, and that the former takes place after the latter.
It was at one point, apparently story stuff they have added to Warframe have subsequently retconned that out.