Games that are great...except for the game part.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Talos Principle. Love the mood, the setting, the entire premise of this game. Everything about it's setup just tickles my little gamer soul. But the puzzles.....fuuuuck the puzzles. They eventually get to be fucking ridiculous, and I have little patience for stuff that's been made intentionally difficult, just because. Plus it doesn't really have much to do with the narrative at all. I guess you could say it's helping you learn how to think in unconventional ways, but given what's going on, and why, and what you are doing, it doesn't really feel like the ONLY thing that should be tested.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Talos Principle. Love the mood, the setting, the entire premise of this game. Everything about it's setup just tickles my little gamer soul. But the puzzles.....fuuuuck the puzzles. They eventually get to be fucking ridiculous, and I have little patience for stuff that's been made intentionally difficult, just because. Plus it doesn't really have much to do with the narrative at all. I guess you could say it's helping you learn how to think in unconventional ways, but given what's going on, and why, and what you are doing, it doesn't really feel like the ONLY thing that should be tested.
Yeah, considering the golden ending, you'd think more of the game would be about teaching you to think for yourself(and outside the box) and not just a bunch of puzzles. I like Croteam but it does feel like the limits of what they're comfortable are pretty clear by now.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah, considering the golden ending, you'd think more of the game would be about teaching you to think for yourself(and outside the box) and not just a bunch of puzzles. I like Croteam but it does feel like the limits of what they're comfortable are pretty clear by now.
Well there is the entire conversation line you can have with the computer, who is constantly questioning you. And I've read notes taht the whole point of that interaction is to try and test for the ability to doubt and question reality, basically a skepticism test, which they feel is vital to learning and growth as an intelligent being. Which is fine, but I mean it was the only other thing they tested, aside from object awareness and spatial puzzles. Still, it was a fun experience to play through, but I was looking up YT videos on how to solve the puzzles all the time.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Well there is the entire conversation line you can have with the computer, who is constantly questioning you. And I've read notes taht the whole point of that interaction is to try and test for the ability to doubt and question reality, basically a skepticism test, which they feel is vital to learning and growth as an intelligent being. Which is fine, but I mean it was the only other thing they tested, aside from object awareness and spatial puzzles. Still, it was a fun experience to play through, but I was looking up YT videos on how to solve the puzzles all the time.
Yeah, the part with Milton trying to sus out your ability to make decisions and justify them was but also instill doubt and skepticism was brilliant. Sadly, that's like the one exception to the other 90% of the puzzles, aside from the whole "DON'T CLIMB THE TOWER" directive you're given(which you're supposed to flat out contravene to get the good ending).

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah, the part with Milton trying to sus out your ability to make decisions and justify them was but also instill doubt and skepticism was brilliant. Sadly, that's like the one exception to the other 90% of the puzzles, aside from the whole "DON'T CLIMB THE TOWER" directive you're given(which you're supposed to flat out contravene to get the good ending).
Yeah, I think I would've enjoyed some morality/ethics related challenges, given the context of the game's premise but....*shrugs* I still enjoyed the game and it's mood/setting. Just, fuck those puzzles. xD

Reactions: Dalisclock

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Sunless Sea/Sky alleviate the RNG aspect somewhat(you can actually save scum in SS and only a few quests are really RNG depedent) and the freemium aspect in particular(you have a limited number of actions and they regenerate in hours of real time), since both are a normal pricing model(and pretty decent at that) but I'd love a version of Fallen London where you pay the $20-$30 entrance fee and can play the game normally from there.
Oh yeah, I want to make Sunless Sea my choice for the thread. I like the story and the atmosphere, but the gameplay is very simplistic and, my god, give me an engine upgrade that actually makes my boat go faster! You will spend the majority of the game just staring at the screen, waiting as you travel uneventfully along the same routes you've already traveled a dozen times. It's basically a choose your own adventure book that won't let you turn the page until a 5 minute timer runs out.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Comix Zone. The gameplay is not exactly bad, but it is absurdly difficult. You only get one life to start and can only acquire two more after every other Act. Sketch's lives doubles as continues. If you do not have certain puzzle items or pet rat, prepare to lose health by punching inanimate objects get through. I've beaten this game twice in my life: first time I got the bad ending; second time I got the good ending. It took me 3 and half weeks to beat that on the Sega Genesis. The game was a swan song for the Genesis and pushed the system to its limit. Beautiful artwork, grunge soundtrack, and one of the first games to make you feel like you were traveling through a comic book. If they ever rebooted this game, I want to them add more characters and rework the lives system. Make the game cel shaded or hand drawn like Streets of Rage 4.

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Bit of a necro, but the Soulsborne games. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne. I like almost everything about them. Their aesthetics, music, settings, narratives and so on. I like watching other people play them. But I don't like playing them myself. That kind of gameplay just doesn't click with me.

Inazuma1

Professional Asshole
Legacy
Nov 18, 2009
Hell
True. The insane amount of potential the game had continues to fascinate me and even though I like BS:I, I really wish it had been a lot closer to some of those earlier ideas.
One thing I remember was that Vigors were going to be limited use. You picked up a Vigor and it would have a set number of charges before it was used up and you'd have to find another Vigor bottle. Instead they just recycled the plasmid system and renamed it probably because they wanted to retain the environmental puzzle aspect of their level design.

I'm gonna throw out Fallen London.

It's got a great setting and some really nice lovecraftian victorian fantasy atmosphere with a bit of light moments to keep it from getting grimdark, plus some good writing and interesting characters. The problem is that it's a browser game that is basically freemium and even if you pay you could spend a long time chugging on an objective due to the RNG. And the RNG drives so much of your progress due to things you need to progress quest lines this is a massive problem. It's also massively grindy.
Fallen London requires a massive amount of self-engagement from the player to make it compelling because it backlogs all the lore and feeds you little drops every so often to make you want to play more so you can learn more. Problem is I stopped caring about the lore once I realized it ultimately means nothing because nothing you do really effects the world in any way and often you're just grinding for resources or experience because you're stat-gated from the next stage of that questline you were doing. Maybe some players really are engaged by the setting, lore, and exploring this dark-mirrored version of Victorian Era London but if I feel I'm not really doing anything in the world or accomplishing any meaningful end goals then the game is just wasting my time with empty fluff.

Reactions: Dalisclock

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Bloodborne. I like almost everything about them. Their aesthetics, music, settings, narratives and so on. I like watching other people play them. But I don't like playing them myself. That kind of gameplay just doesn't click with me.
I would go crazy for a Bloodborne that played more like a combination of Castlevania and Devil May Cry.

Bulletstorm should have used a more traditional armor and med-kit health system instead of regen health. Vanquish should have used two health systems a la Gungrave or Halo 1. A shield/AR meter, and a standard health bar. Playing on higher difficulties gets annoying; more so on Vanquish than Bulletstorm. If you have the upgraded version of the latter, the NG+ actually makes things easier and a little more bearable. Also, how you upgrade weapons in Vanquish is stupid, but thankfully there's an exploit that involves going to the tile screen and restarting your checkpoint. You can keep adding to your upgrades, and the game save it every time you go to title screen. God Hard mode sucks as a difficulty as you can't upgrade your weapons in any way.

Last edited:

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
2d Sonic games. I just beat Sonic Mania, still really don't like the physics of the stupid thing, but watching someone who really knows what they are doing is pretty impressive.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I would go crazy for a Bloodborne that played more like a combination of Castlevania and Devil May Cry.
I'm just not a fan of gothic/body horror to find any of the FromSoft aesthetics at all appealing. I mean I remember watching Super Butter Buns doing a let's play with her friends of Bloodborne, which was hilarious. But nothing about the games themselves, appeal to me. And when one of her friends, actually described the boss they were fighting, and laid out what the being was I was just like "...but...WHY?! Why would you think of something like that?!" It just feels too edgey edgelord for the sake of edgeness for me to think any of it is actually engaging.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I'm just not a fan of gothic/body horror to find any of the FromSoft aesthetics at all appealing. I mean I remember watching Super Butter Buns doing a let's play with her friends of Bloodborne, which was hilarious. But nothing about the games themselves, appeal to me. And when one of her friends, actually described the boss they were fighting, and laid out what the being was I was just like "...but...WHY?! Why would you think of something like that?!" It just feels too edgey edgelord for the sake of edgeness for me to think any of it is actually engaging.
Are your referring to the child of Kos? Like most of From Software's games, it's a huge shout out to Berserk. Out of all the playthroughs I've seen, I never felt it overly edgy. I've never seen Butter Bun's (nor do I intend to), just Max, Pat and Woolie, and Seraphim17's difficulty walkthroughs. The gothic body horror doesn't bother me much, and like I said, my problem is more of a gameplay standpoint. You're talking to somebody who's a huge fan of John Carpenter's The Thing, so so I'm rarely affected or bothered by it. Aside from the few Japanese horror manga, and in quite a few chapters of Alita Mars Chronicles. I seriously was not prepared for that on Sunday.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Are your referring to the child of Kos?
If child of Kos is the prematgure/aborted fetus of a demon while thingy, that crawls out of her corpse to fight you with his placenta....then yes...yes that is the one I'm talking about. And if that's a shout out to Berserk, then Berserk is fucked up, and I'm even more certain I have no desire to see it.

I've never seen Butter Bun's (nor do I intend to), just Max, Pat and Woolie, and Seraphim17's difficulty walkthroughs.
Out of curiosity, why? As someone who ISN'T a fan of the source material (and they are), it is a very enjoyable viewing experience. To see them taking a Bloodborne newbie through the game, to see his reactions to all the fucking weird ass shit, like GoT fans watching their newbie friends during The Red Wedding. Plus it's just funny watching them fail their way through, with comical sound effects, and editing clips for the people who weren't vid-capping at the time. One person basically could never get connected whenever they rang a bell for help, so most of her dialogue has comically rendered video clips of her trying to connect, and failing. Watching them lose their shit as their newbie friend ends up making an insane damage build with guns (which is apparently considered a horrible build, but he fucking worked it). It's genuinely a funny couple of hours of a group of friends goofing their way through that game.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If child of Kos is the prematgure/aborted fetus of a demon while thingy, that crawls out of her corpse to fight you with his placenta....then yes...yes that is the one I'm talking about. And if that's a shout out to Berserk, then Berserk is fucked up, and I'm even more certain I have no desire to see it.
That creature is basically a reference to part Guts's backstory. He came out of his mother's womb as she hanged to death from a tree. His uncle, took care of him at the time, but always secretly hated him. He blamed his sister's death on Guts (even though he was literally a baby that was just born) The uncle tried to kill Guts, but Guts killed him in self defense and ran away.

Out of curiosity, why? As someone who ISN'T a fan of the source material (and they are), it is a very enjoyable viewing experience.
Nothing against Butter Buns, but I don't find her content all that interesting aside from a few reviews. She's got talent and an audience, but she's not for me. The reason why I prefer the other guys is because even though their fans of the genre themselves, they made plenty of mistakes and blunders on their first playthroughs. They all did. It was still hilarious. Especially if we're talking about Pat. Seeing their reactions for the first time is always great too. Though my personal favorite is Seraphim, because he did a first time playthrough and later did a walk-through right afterward. I like and admire his dedication, and he has it intricate knowing of what's good and bad level design. The funniest playthrough will always go to Pat and Woolie though.

Last edited:
Reactions: happyninja42

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I can now add Team Fortress 2 to the list.

The YouTube shorts are a lot of fun, but as an actual game, it's bleh.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Sonic Unleashed. I would pay top dollar for a version that let's you skip all of the Werehog sections.

Last edited: