Games that defeated you.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 in Master Ninja ever since July 2011 I've been stuck at the first form of the final boss, I only have 1 small health and one resurrection doll, my HP is around 10% full so whenever the battle begins I usually die and a small health power up doesn't help much when I get to form 2, I don't even want to think about form 3

White_Lama

Feb 23, 2011
Dead or Alive 4, last boss.

***** made me so frustrated I lost my voice, broke a controller and smashed the disc to pieces.
Goddamn her.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Only three times have I had to put down a game before I have completed it. The first was with a game called Aqua Aqua Wetrix 2 for the PS2. I had no idea what was up with the title and I couldn't figure out what to do in the game, so I stopped playing.

The second game was Alone in the Dark for the PS3. I could not stand that game. By limiting me to only using fire, I felt more frustrated than scared, when I would have to pour petrol on my bullets to get past one guy while the game didn't pause when I was trying to do all this, did not give me enough time, and what's more, I could only see the monsters vunerable points when I had my eyes closed! Literally! Was not a fan.

The third is a game that neither confused nor frustrated me, but beat me down. Demon's Souls. I played that game and it shown me no mercy. I hit a brick wall, unsure of what to do next as the game presented me a difficulty I was being tormented by. I left it, fearing for my sanity, and to this day, the game's ghost that haunts my shelf haunts me, mocks me for its victory. I will complete this one day. No game will keep me down on purpose. Not one!

Calumon: All of them. I can't hold the controller. : (

Garrett

Jul 12, 2012
Ninja Gaiden Sigma.
Master Ninja is INSANE. I will get back to it and beat it but for now, I stand defeated.

BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger. Ragna is only the second ever fighting character I more or less learned (other being Xiaoyu in Tekken 5). I beat story with him no problem. Then arcade mode. First 9 fights, zero problems, lots of perfect rounds along the way (including ninth). Then, tenth fight, against Nu-13 if I'm not mistaken, I got completely anihilated. I tried that fight for like 2 hours and managed to win one round maybe ten times. I know I suck at fighting games bu to not be even able to complete it...

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Contra. Fucking. Hard Corps.

This game will destroy you. There is nothing, no other Contra, no permadeath roguelike, no cheap SNK boss, no unplayable glitchy mess, no intentionally unwinnable game that even COMPARES to the difficulty of Contra Hard Corps. Seriously, grab a Megadrive emulator and try it. YOU WILL DIE.

Hjalmar Fryklund

May 22, 2008
DK Jungle Climber - An at best half-mediocre game with one heck of a hard final boss was not a winning combination.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Ninja Gaiden NES. I've gotten to Jaquerio or whoever several times but his annoying double fireballs that track you and change trajectory at the weirdest times always get me. That and if you die on the final fight you do the whole CHAPTER over instead of the level when you continue.

Red Ninja. The last time you fight the Armor God is ridiculous, even more so than every other ridiculous boss fight in the game. Each boss barely takes any damage/blocks all of your attacks 99% of the time, but this time he just spams instant transmission to always be right in front of you with both katanas while never taking more than a few millimeters of damage to his health.

I've seen someone totally own him on youtube, and the fight still went on for over 16 minutes. Its just shave off one hit, doge 5 times, repeat until you want to kill yourself. And then you get to fight the actual final boss that is an even bigger troll because they can fly and shoot at you.

Onimusha 2. The final boss fight, where instead of fighting it out like every other part of the game it becomes a shooter of some kind as you get pelted with giant homing projectiles and can run left to right ineffectually. It probably wouldn't have been hard, had there been any kind of precedence in the whole fucking series to that point of there being a fight like that. You are left with no idea how to control your character in that moment and I obviously didn't meet that immediate learning curve required to that that BS in stride and kill Nobunaga or whoever. As if Gogandantes wasn't already a pain in the ass.

Bayonetta. Because I hated every second of every minute I played it, and that time was 1000% better than the time I spent watching the cutscenes. I got maybe 4 levels in before I sold it back to Gamestop, feeling more than a little dirty for having bought it in the first place. At least in DMC I enjoyed sucking at it when I rented them.

RE: Code Veronica. Only main game in series I didn't finish. I even beat RE2 with Tofu and got the infinite chain gun, and the hand cannon in 4. But CV...I hate that game. The plot, the everything. I actually got past the Tyrant on the plane, which was a really shit thing to have to fight in such a small space. I think I beat the boss with the heart weakpoint, and maybe a vampire bat thing, but after that I don't remember what actually prevented me from finishing. I think it was a guy with a huge axe and my inability to do whatever quick time event like thing to not die instantly or something. Rental so I had to return it.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within....

I can't get past the first boss on the ship; easy,normal, or hard.
I've tried about 10 times and can't even get her below %75.

Waste of $3 :p

Voxgizer

Jan 12, 2011
Dead To Rights. The original on XBox. I got to the final boss and had a hell of a time with him, but finally knocked him out. This is where I made my mistake, I set the controller down and let out a sigh. The ************ got back up and decked me a good one across the jaw and GAME OVER. That was it for me, I turned it off, and to this day, have yet to go back and try to finish it.

Garrett

Jul 12, 2012
Oh, I forgot about F1 2010. I was getting more annoyed with it each new race (AI, stupid rules, bugs, driving model) and then I got to Monaco. I'm driving on the start/finish line, and then there is AI going out of pitstop. Now if you watched F1 Moncao race in recent years, you know that you can fully "join" the race after first turn. This motherfucking AI just flew out of pitstop to the middle of the track immediately when it had such possibility, hitting me in the process and causing me to hit a barrier and break the c... oh sorry, lose front wheels. I was so pissed I turned off the game at went to trade it. This is like a third game ever I traded instead of keeping it (I'm kind of a collector so I don't sell or (usually) trade bought games).

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
Metroid Prime defeated me before, and now that I purchased the Trilogy on the Wii, its kicking my ass again!

Other games I will include to my little list:

- Ninja Gaiden (both versions)
- Shinobi
- Ghouls 'n Ghosts series
- Megaman 9/10
- Final Fantasy XIII (Just...too...crap...)
- Otogi
- Panzer Dragoon Orta
- Shin Akuma in Street Fighter Alpha 3 (World Tour)
- Blazblue (Hazama. Oh how I hate you!)

Verkula

Oct 3, 2010
Only Dead Space 2 on Hardcore so far, just wasnt into playing like that at the time. Im planning to play it again in the near future though.

Jailbird408

Jan 19, 2011
willsham45 said:
The last mission in gta4. A combination of poor optimisation on a powerful rig and the helicopter controls being shit and then throw in you have to use those to ain rockets at a boat firing RPGs, I cannot remember but i think there was also a time limit, or some sort of limit at that.
I gave up when I encountered the first motorcycle mission. I suck at this game.
And if you think that makes me any less of a gamer, come over here and try to beat me at Lumines.

Nemesis729

Jul 9, 2010
Vegosiux said:
IWBTG. Though that's not as much a "game" as it is "self-flagellation". Suffice to say, I gave up sometime around Kradgief and every moment up until that was sheer agony except maybe the brief and far-in-between moments of "Wow I made it!"

But I think it's so far the only game that I have actually "given up on" as opposed to "postponed to an indeterminate later time in the future".
I think the satisfaction you get from finally beating parts is worth how hard it is. That's what kept me playing until I beat it.

OT: S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl, It wasn't that it was to hard... It's just that I was having so little fun with it, plus the fact that it was pretty hard.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, I haven't beaten either of them but they've both had their sadistic fun with me since they like to see me swear in utter frustration. I will beat them, someday.....

Also, Mega Man 9, that was ridiculous.

EDIT: Brutal Legend for the last stage battle, that is nothing but an exercise in frustrating bullshit.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
scorptatious said:
Well there's the original Rayman for the PS1.

HOLY FUCK that game is hard. If the game didn't require you to be a completionist, I probably wouldn't mind the crazy difficulty. But no, you have to find ALL the electoons before you're given the privilege to go to the final level.

And yet I keep finding myself sucked back in by it's lovely art style and it's music. I'm currently in Picture City at the moment after a three month long hiatus from the game.
That was my answer. I get to the mountains, then just lose it. Grahrgh!

Also every Empire Earth skirmish I play. Just gets to a level a few hours in where it's impossible to break through anyone's defenses. Can't be beaten, can't beat anyone. Takes too long to turn into an endurance war for resources.