Games That Deserve Sequels

cellorob

Sep 15, 2007
I would love to see the sequel to Outcast that Interplay canned. Also, maybe a cel-shaded current generation sequel to Earthbound, instead of the DS version of Mother 3 that we might never see stateside.

SatansBestBuddy

Sep 7, 2007
ActRaiser.

One of the greatest SNES games ever created, made during Enix's glory days when they could seemingly do no wrong.

I miss those days, when they were creating new IPs every year and providing more and more innovations with every game while still keeping them entertaining.

Compared to today, post Square buyout, where almost every game they make seems to be knee deep in cliches and made more for the money than for the love.

*sniff*

boony

Sep 15, 2007
I always hoped for a sequel to Metal Arms: Glitch in the System.
I love that game, but most of my friends never heard of it.

Sep 16, 2007
Well back when Bungie used to make really amazing games. They made this game called Myth: The Fallen Lords. Then they made a sequel and without a doubt the best game in existence (IMO) Myth II: Soulblighter. Now then Microsoft bought them out and Myth was sold to MumboJumbo. Who well, just killed the game with a prequel Myth III: The Wolf Age. So to get to the question at hand.

Myth II: Soulblighter needs a sequel or for every day it doesn't I shall shove a penny up my ass and then spend it at a store so one day you might handle my ass penny (yes stolen from up-right citizens brigade).

Ferro

Sep 7, 2007
Beyond the games like Beyond good and evil, Vagrant Story, Psychonauts and other already mentioned, I'll add some more to list of games that I think should get sequels:

Deus Ex (I know theres is Invisible War, but a new addition would be welcomed)
Okami
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corner of the Earth ( loved this game, too bad about the developers shut down, cause nobody bought the game)
Scrapland
Planescape: Torment (Black Isle, I miss you :( )

Frapple

Sep 7, 2007
Chrono Trigger has Chrono Cross, sort of but would love to see a remake/sequel.

Broken Sword should defiantly have more sequels.

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
One's Listed I Agree with:
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
Okami

Mine:
Shadow of the Colossus
Downhill Domination
Threads of Fate

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Cynopt said:
The whole Lucasarts Adventure, and Bullfrog catalog : Reissues all round (DOSbox not withstanding) and more of everything, especially Full Throttle and the Maniac Mansion series. Gametap and co. would be perfect for both.

Privateer : MMO gold.

Parasite Eve : Why Squeenix is dorking around with uninspired IP's with this one on the shelf... it hurts me to think about it.

And I know it's early but : Bioshock. Or Anything Shock. A reissue of the System Shock games would be especially nice while we're waiting...
Parasite Eve 2 became a RE knock off altho if done right it could be awesome however the way S/E is going a cheap knock off of PE is what we'd get... their only able to do 1 good game at a time.....

Frapple said:
Chrono Trigger has Chrono Cross, sort of but would love to see a remake/sequel.

Broken Sword should defiantly have more sequels.
A real remake/sequel/prequel to Chrono Trigger would be nice...Chrono cross was horrible ><

Eskay

Sep 2, 2007
Vagrant Story sequel, emphatically yes!
One of those under appreciated games, but who(m?) who played it could foget their first dragon encounter, battle resumed a few seconds after the cut scene finished due to a quick linen change...

a|A

Sep 16, 2007
Hi there! I thought I'd offer some of my own suggestions / comments. And waht with this being my first post and all, thought it would be a nice place to start

So a few comments on games already mentioned :

Indigo Prophecy / Farenheit : Yes, on ONE Condition. Just so long as half way through the game it doesn't get drunk and start introducing random characters and aliens. I just reached a point in that game where I threw my hands up in frustration and said "RIGHT! I'm out".

Syndicate / Syndicate Wars : Ah yes. Yes please. Any Bullfrog game really. Magic Carpet 3 ? Yes sir! However there *was* a Syndicate style game in development a while ago. The plot wasn't the same, but it gave me a syndicatish vibe. It was called "Blue Vault" and was being developed by Elixir Studios ( The guys who brought us such gems as "Evil Genius" ). It didn't suprise me to learn that one of the lead developers, Demis, was an ex-bullfrogger. Unfortunately Elixir closed it's doors. So I don't think we'll be seeing Blue Vault anytime soon.

here's some info one it : http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=103044

Blood : Gosh I loved this game as a kid. And then when I played the sequal ( Blood 2 : The Chosen ), it just didn't feel the same. The comedy was gone ( and was that Tom Waits voicing the creepy guy at the fair in the first one ? "step right up! have your tickets ready!" weird ). And now I want to play blood again.

Okami : I loved this game. Though the second one should be on the wii. Give us a more natural painting style please ... also the ability to draw hats and moustaches on people.

Psychonauts : Yes.

Lucasarts Adventure Games : Yes again! Though not all of them. DOTT doesn't need one, Monkey Island certainly does, but only if Ron makes it ( so we don't get another Monkey Kombat sequence ), Indiana Jones Adventure Game ( Not a silly action game ? ) yes please.

Star Control : yes. I would like to see Star Control 3. ( well, one that doesn't suck anyway ). There were rumors that toys for bob were trying to get a third one made - but I think activision still holds the license for the game ...

As for me personally ?

I'd love to see a new Freelancer game. There arn't enough decent space games like it.
I'd also like to see a new Quest for Glory game, but I know Lori and Cori never envisioned a 6th one in the series.
I've love to see more Sierra adventure games in general really. Actually, I'd love to just see more adventure games. Seriously people.

Yeah, that will do.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I haven't read the entire thread so forgive any repetition...

Freespace - Freespace kicked ass, Freespace 2 kicked mountains of ass, so how is it we don't have a Freespace 3?

Planescape: Torment - someone else mentioned this, I know, but it bears repeating. Hell, I wouldn't even necessarily ask for a direct sequel, just give me a game in the Planescape setting with the depth and emotion of the original.

A proper end to the Thief sequel - I'm not one of these rabid Deadly Shadows-hating spazzes, but after the Dark Project and the Metal Age, it was a pretty big letdown. How about a wrap-up that works on a comparable level?

Deus Ex - see above, but with a bit more emphasis on the suckiness of the sequel. Actually, better make that a lot more.

Ultima Underworld - what kind of world do we live in that doesn't have a contemporary sequel to the greatest first-person RPG of all time? SOMEBODY MAKE THIS GAME GOD DAMMMMIIIIIITTT

Redfeather

Sep 18, 2007
VtM: Bloodlines - Agreed! Though the reason no one played this, it was pretty much unplayable for 80% upon release. This problem is probably one of the main reasons Troika made three games and went under. That being said, most of the problems were resolved in patches (and many further patches by the community) and it's easily in the top #10 best RPGs ever, and in my personal top 5.

Planescape:Torment: Agreed! I sold this like someone going door to door about their religion, I was a True Believer. It still shocks me today how many die-hard RPGers never picked up this gem.

Sid Meyer's Pirates!: Okay I don't even know how you'd do a sequel, but a game this much fun deserves it. Maybe I can even be a girl pirate next time around!

KOTORII The Sith Lords: Okay, I'd settle for this game being finished correctly. They stop the game pretty much about 60% of the way through, and rush it towards the end. While we might suspect this with some games, it's a fact with this one...they included the voice files. Gamers wept when they heard what could have been. And it would have been in the top 3 best RPGs ever...frankly it would have hit #1 IMHO had they done what they planned. But I'd love a sequel done right in a similar fashion. What made this 2nd one better than the first...the Han Solo-type character of Atton Rand (instead of Carth the whiny ***** we all hated from the first). And I'd mention the awesomeness that was HK-47, but he was in both games meatbag.

Jade Empire: Originally Xbox only, and then ported to the PC this absolutely deserves another game. It's basically an RPG of the 'KOTOR/Bloodlines/etc' genre set in mythical China. And since it was made by Bioware, same folks who did KOTOR it's not shocking that it's similar.

American McGee's Alice: I was looking forward to Oz, which apparently has died due to various issues. This game which is really hard to label, but I think got billed as an FPS was one of the most creative, fun and interesting games I had played in years. I even wrote a complete fanboi letter to American McGee gushing about the game...something I've never done before or since over a game...though I'd happily grant Roberta Williams rights to any firstborn I had.

Grim Fandango: This is one of those ones where I just can't believe there's not a sequel, especially when you consider some of the shit that gets made. I don't think anyone anywhere ever said anything bad about this game.

Clive Barker's Undying: This game scared the crap out of me, not something easy to do. Anyway one of the only true horror games I've ever played that didn't revolve around 'BOO!' tactics to be pseudoscary (like Doom).

Age of Mythology: Probably my favorite RTS, I know there's an expansion pack, but that's not really a sequel. Unfortunately I don't see Age of Mythology II where you can play Christians, Muslims, etc. being possible, even though it would be highly amusing.

There's more I could list, many more if I went through all the games I own, but that's just off the top of my head. If I could only pick 3 games to get a sequel, it would be:

Bloodlines, Planescape:Torment, and KOTORII (done correctly and a sequel by the same folks given enough time to do it!)

NinjaPengui

Oct 2, 2007
Guitaroo Man, Contact, and Kid Icarus are the only ones I can think of that haven't been mentioned (although I think there might actually be a Contact sequel in the works already). Beyond Good and Evil is definitely my first choice though!

Mr. Bubbles

Sep 27, 2007
Psychonauts & Okami. If I really thought about it more would come to mind, but I don't really feel like doing that at the moment.

Pyrrian

Oct 3, 2007
I must admit, this is one of the few places where people will beat me to Ultima (though I liked VIII and VII: Serpent Isle, darn it!), Syndicate, and Wing Commander: Privateer. In keeping with games from EA-fodder companies, I always loved the Westwood-made Legend of Kyrandia adventure games. The third one was a bit... iffy, but the first two were darn good.

Which reminds me that I'd love to see a The Longest Journey sequel done right. Which isn't to say that Dreamfall was bad, but it just felt like it could have been more.

Commander Keen is also something I'd like to see make a return. I think someone could do either a really nice Xbox Live Arcade-type game, handheld game, or something like that and get away with keeping it 2D and true to its roots. Watch-Pong is a must-have feature, of course.

For the heck of it, I'd also like to see a 3D action/adventure game based on Joust. Frankly, I really just want to swoop down and skewer something in high-resolution 3D.

Dragonmaw

Oct 3, 2007
A sequel to Warzone 2100 or Theme Hospital would be nice,, but what I REALLY want is a sequel to Herzog Zwei.