Games that you will never play. Ever.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
Vigormortis said:
Zeren said:
I won't play the half life games. I missed them when they were new and innovative, so now they have nothing to offer me.
Since you haven't actually played them, isn't that a bit presumptuous?

I mean, unless you only play new, innovative games. Then I see where you're coming from.

Though to be fair, I suppose I could say the same thing about Mass Effect 2 and 3. I played a bit of the first one and was bored to tears. The story just did nothing for me and the characters and universe didn't draw me in.

Quazimofo said:
As for games I never will play...
Well, as said above, I'm not one to write off genres as a whole. Many individual games I've seen I've not got much interest in playing, but never entire genres.
This is where I stand. There are some games I will flatly refuse to play; for example anything from Zynga or King; but I won't ever really write off any particular genre.

Or even a series, really. I'm always open to a dev churning out something surprising and fun - even if they've not done so in the past.

moostar said:
Moba games, and any Counter strike games. These types of games both contain a toxic community of players,
Well, let's be honest here, every game-based community contains it's toxic elements. I've seen just as many vehemently hateful players of, say, Dark Souls, as I have of anything like League of Legends or Dota.

and on the plus side, the game play in both of these games gets me bored in seconds.
I tend to experience the same thing with most "realistic" sports games/sims.

If I wanted to watch a sport, I'd turn on ESPN. If I wanted to play a sport, I'd go outside.
I don't play it because I don't see what it could possibly offer me that I haven't already seen in terms of gameplay and story. I've watched it be played, I've seen reviews, and I've been told over and over that I should play it, but I just don't see a reason to at this point. Everything that it's done has already been done by some other game I have already played.

KennardKId5

May 26, 2011
MOBAs, more specifically DoTA. I have a group of friends who never fucking shut up about that game. Worse still, they keep trying to get me to play it. The last thing I want to do is be yelled at by some autistic fuck because I didn't maxi my AoE or some shit.

Fucking Dark Souls. All I hear about it is that "ZOMG is so difficult" bullshit. Just because your retarded 12-year-old ass thinks that it's difficult does not make it fun. And the fucking community, Jesus.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Any Modern Military Shooter - I just don't see the appeal
Any Halo game - same as above
Any MOBA - I'm just not that great a strategist.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Zeren said:
I don't play it because I don't see what it could possibly offer me that I haven't already seen in terms of gameplay and story. I've watched it be played, I've seen reviews, and I've been told over and over that I should play it, but I just don't see a reason to at this point. Everything that it's done has already been done by some other game I have already played.
Well, I'd think it could be played for the same reason one would play any solo, narrative-driven game. The story, the setting, the characters, etc.

I'm not saying you have to play it. I'm not even suggesting that you should. I was just saying it sounded odd that the reason you wouldn't was that it was no longer innovative. I know someone who gave the same reason as to why she would never play Homeworld - seeing as modern RTS games like Starcraft 2, "Offer so much more."

I mean, it's a genuine reason. I'm not 'attacking' you nor anyone else for it. It's just a reason I've heard now and again that never made sense to me.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
Meriatressia said:
All GTA games. I hate that overhyped crap.
Dark souls, etc. I would'nt touch that overhyped sh*te, for anything.
I refuse to play games that are ridiculously hard. There is no fun or point in overhard games. And the fanbase of collosal twatbaskets who act like being a gaming masochist makes them precious has made me loathe and despise them and the game.
I think lots of people misinterpret the Dark Souls hype. Dark Souls isn't loved because of its difficulty, rather how it handles it, through fair challenge.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
canadamus_prime said:
Any MOBA - I'm just not that great a strategist.
Don't need to be. Just load up Dota 2, pick Viper, Sniper, or Drow Ranger, get some decent supports on your team, then right-click to victory.

Seriously though, I get where you're coming from. I used to be bloody awful at simultaneously micro'ing and macro'ing, years ago. It was one of the primary reasons I steered clear of many multiplayer focused RTS games back then.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
Vigormortis said:
Zeren said:
Well, I'd think it could be played for the same reason one would play any solo, narrative-driven game. The story, the setting, the characters, etc.

I'm not saying you have to play it. I'm not even suggesting that you should. I was just saying it sounded odd that the reason you wouldn't was that it was no longer innovative. I know someone who gave the same reason as to why she would never play Homeworld - seeing as modern RTS games like Starcraft 2, "Offer so much more."

I mean, it's a genuine reason. I'm not 'attacking' you nor anyone else for it. It's just a reason I've heard now and again that never made sense to me.
That's one more thing. I already know the story well enough that it's not enough to get me to play it. Years of people talking about it has ruined all of the twists, made the characters seem plain and boring, and I never found the setting interesting in the first place.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Mostly Moba games, Sports, turn based (except the much older FF and Advance wars and Disgaea games).

Dark Souls especially as stated by other users on the first page, the fanbase put me right off it as well as the view on challenges, normally I don't mind a challenge but 'm in no way for brutal all the way or brutal to start with and I detest repetitive punishments, dying a lot to me means I'm not having fun, not the "I'm doing shit and must perfect myself to jump over that hardcore based challenge" feeling that some like to stamp on others.

I don't mind some racing games but I'm not for the realistic ones like Forza but more for crazy ones like Burnout Paradise and Mario kart etc.

Smithburg

May 21, 2009
Fez.

The guy who made the game was such a massive douchebag that I won't touch any of his stuff.

Smithburg

May 21, 2009
Jasper van Heycop said:
Anything that "needs" Steam, Uplay, Battle.net or Origin to install.

Any PS4/Xbone exclusive, as I won't be getting either console.
So what you're saying is that you just wont play anything?

Victim of Progress

Jul 11, 2011
MoBa's. Also Goat Simulator and Sanctum 2. I had the misfortune of playing the first one. That company does not deserve any second chances.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I refuse to play any franchise that suddenly became online only. You know the ones I'm talking about. I don't support asshole tactics, and the games look like shit any way.

I also don't want to see any game that uses the same name as the original. Some of them had received some defense and so I checked them out, but it's what I expected from current gaming trends.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
I have zero interest in...

1. Sports Games
I've never had any interest, not even a passing interest, in real-life sports. So naturally I have no interest in sports games either.

2. Simulation Games
Because I totally want to work a full shift, then come home and simulate working another full shift at a second job that doesn't pay me.

3. Fighting Games
I have no interest in learning eight billion button combinations and sequences just so I can participate in a community that honestly seems more detestable than the bile-spewing 12-year olds playing Call of Duty on X-Box.

4. Puzzle Games
I suck at puzzles. No other reason. Only played the Portal games because I liked the writing.

5. MOBAs
Because the Fighting Games community totally needs a competitor for the "largest collection of humans with zero social skills" award.

6. Music Games
I love music, don't get me wrong here. But why do I want to spend hours upon hours of my life mastering a fiddly little plastic guitar for the dubious honor of being able to pretend I can play a classic rock song when I could just spend hours of my life mastering a real guitar and play the song for real?

7. "Casual" Games
Not "casual" like Diablo 3 (zing!), but "casual" like Angry Birds, Farmville, Candy Crush Saga, etc. I have no use for browser and mobile device games. I don't find them to be fun, and I find their common abuse of microtransactions to be incredibly insulting to their audiences.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Mine used to be Dark souls however after watching Alex on LRR's stream play it as well as helping Graham Stark getting into it I gave it a go with his advice and now i'm into it.

I guess now MOBAs would be top of that list, I just don't feel the genre despite my friends raving about it like its the best thing ever.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Zeren said:
That's one more thing. I already know the story well enough that it's not enough to get me to play it. Years of people talking about it has ruined all of the twists, made the characters seem plain and boring, and I never found the setting interesting in the first place.
And that's fine. To each their own, I say.

I wasn't really quoting you because you disliked Half-Life. I was just referencing your point about not wanting to try it because it was no longer innovative.

A point I covered in my last post. ;)

Just out of curiosity, what is your current, must-play title?

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
Vigormortis said:
Zeren said:
And that's fine. To each their own, I say.

I wasn't really quoting you because you disliked Half-Life. I was just referencing your point about not wanting to try it because it was no longer innovative.

A point I covered in my last post. ;)

Just out of curiosity, what is your current, must-play title?
I probably could have worded it better.

As for my current game, it's Robocraft. Building up my own robot to go kill other robots has been something I've enjoyed since I first did it in Chromehounds.

lawrencein

Nov 20, 2009
Tuesday Night Fever said:
6. Music Games
I love music, don't get me wrong here. But why do I want to spend hours upon hours of my life mastering a fiddly little plastic guitar for the dubious honor of being able to pretend I can play a classic rock song when I could just spend hours of my life mastering a real guitar and play the song for real?
You could try Rocksmith or Bandfuse, both of which use real guitars and are a strange hybrid of game and teaching tool.

Zukabazuka

Mar 7, 2012
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Mostly Moba games, Sports, turn based (except the much older FF and Advance wars and Disgaea games).

Dark Souls especially as stated by other users on the first page, the fanbase put me right off it as well as the view on challenges, normally I don't mind a challenge but 'm in no way for brutal all the way or brutal to start with and I detest repetitive punishments, dying a lot to me means I'm not having fun, not the "I'm doing shit and must perfect myself to jump over that hardcore based challenge" feeling that some like to stamp on others.

I don't mind some racing games but I'm not for the realistic ones like Forza but more for crazy ones like Burnout Paradise and Mario kart etc.
First time I heard about Dark Soul I thought I would need massive amount of skills to beat first map. But in short you don't, If you actually learn few things in the game it get very easy to deal with. The game offer open game, not linear like almost all other games. Levels don't matter that much since at level 9 you can use some of the most powerful weapons with the right stats. If you pick soldier you get a decent defense from the start and good stats. Not much jumping in the game, few places that has them only leads to new weapons or other loot.

Its an amazing game, its not brutal in difficulty and if someone keeps saying that they are wrong and refuse to learn. PvP is the only part of the game where skill is massive, but its not vital to the game and you can often stay away from it. So having to deal with those elitist people are easily avoided. The game is different from most games out there, So it will feel fresh when you play it. Sure beats almost all triple AAA titles.

As for games I don't touch, sport games. I had fun in them but not anymore.