Games that you're ashamed to admit they scare you

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
Morrowind.

Seriously, enter an Ancestral Tomb without any light or good weapons and armour. The sounds you hear in those places scared the crap out of me. Whispers, footsteps, angry spirits talking through the walls... And everyone knows that at the beginning in Morrowind, a goddamn rat can kill you, so fighting ghosts becomes even more scary because you know that you *will* die sooner or later. And I usually played it at night with my headphones on too.

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
For some reason games don't scare me.

People on the other hand, do.

EDIT: Oh, I remembered something. There was this really freaky indie-game... Penumbra or something? That was scary, you didn't have any weapons, and there were (insert the kind of monsters that game had, here) creeping all around you, not attacking you, but just being ambience. I never got too far into that game, I was too young for subtle horror.

Spaceman_Spiff

Apr 16, 2009
Abe's Odyssey, the entire planet is a meat factory inhabited by green things with tentacles for mouths and you find out they are going to butcher and eat the entire workforce. And the scariest part? They're doing it for money.

Looking For Alaska

Jan 5, 2009
Abandoned buildings(Springvale school especially) in Fallout 3. Especially early on when you suck and have little ammo.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Spaceman_Spiff said:
Abe's Odyssey, the entire planet is a meat factory inhabited by green things with tentacles for mouths and you find out they are going to butcher and eat the entire workforce. And the scariest part? They're doing it for money.
Surpriseingly that didnt scare me, or even phase the fear in my mind, maybe I was to young but what did scare me was the jungle part, being chased by those god damn Scarbs(I think:p)christ.....that stufff is scaaarryy

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
Fallout 3 freaks the fuck out of me. Played in the dark, through headphones. Suddenly getting attacked. Spare underpants time!

In fact, most survival / horror games played through headphones will do it.

Hobo Joe

Aug 4, 2009
Metro Tunnels in Fallout 3; you hear the ghouls scream but you have no idea where from, you turn round and they're on top of you. Many a change of boxers needed.

JenXXXJen

Mar 11, 2009
Bottom of the well in Ocarina of Time, plus the zombies still scare me.

I was also scared of those giant slug things that eat your shield until recently, when I saw them described as an evil pile of pancakes xD I lol'd.

Mar451

Nov 25, 2009
Scarecrow in Batman was pretty unnerving, i also found the first encouncter with the Witch to be freaky, especially when you try to melee her...grrr.

MercenaryCanary

Mar 24, 2008
Oblivion and Fallout.
I have... this thing about being inside. I don't know why. It just irks me when I don't have the option of running away, and when you're in the tunnels or the dungeons, you can't. Its dark, creepy, and cramped. I absolutely panic whenever I go into those areas, so I don't.
I'm no Dungeon crawler.

Scooter789

Sep 2, 2009
Giantcain said:
banjo kazooie clankers cavern and rusty bucket bay
When I was younger, this, although not so much for Rusty Bucket Bay. I simply refused to go into Clanker's Cavern until I had absolutely no other option. Rusty Bucket Bay didn't scare me, but it did freak me out. I'm not a fan of underwater areas. On a similar note, Jolly Roger Bay in Super Mario 64. That damned eel; that damned shipwreck. Of course, the ship was taken care of right away.

Nowadays, Ravenholm in Half-Life 2. Holy balls, that place was scary. I fully understand why they don't go to Ravenholm.

Also, playing L4D or L4D2 with my friends, the room is dark, and I'm really getting into a game. When I immerse myself, and really feel as if I'm there, the Witch's cry and the Hunter's growl sends chills through me.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
Dead Space didn't get me too bad the first time around. There was the occasional gasp and jump. But the second time, it was the expectation that killed me. Then I got to Chapter 5. That chapter. I just couldn't take it chasing you, I almost wet myself, quite literally. I turned off the game and haven't played since.

Poofs

Nov 16, 2009
Oblivion- when enemies just apear and rape your health

Clive Barkers Jericho- Creepyas all hell at times