Games that you're ashamed to admit they scare you

Iconoclasm

Nov 25, 2009
...still can't finish Condemned... they just don't make days bright enough to escape the rabid sociopaths...

Alberio

Jun 10, 2009
Half Life 2 - the parts where zombies suddenly appear out of no where or when you look up and see yourself getting closer and closer to a barnicle.
Resident Evil 2 - the sewers, thats all I'll say on that one.

Gyrefalcon

Jun 9, 2009
Nincompoop said:
pimppeter2 said:
Oblivion

When Mudcrabs sneak up on me
This Lol... I'm serious. You be hearing the combat soundtrack, but you can't find your enemy. Turning around like crazy, getting paranoid and then BAM suddenly you get attacked, God that has often scared me.

OT: Apes was scary =/... Not really ashamed to admit it, nor anything else. I actually like being scared.
Mudcrabs and racers both-there is an enemy and you can't spot it! You barely escaped some dark cavern and you are sure you missed something or a lich has followed you outside and BAM! It's a racer directly overhead or a mudcrab sneaking up the bank.

Although...the Dreugh in the water were the creepiest to me.

Clocktower-where the guy jumped out of the locker and the scene with the police officer where you *thought* you were safe, right under a nice bright streetlight. That game made me jump more times than Resident Evil.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
Guitar Hero sometimes scares me when I play it.

All those notes coming at you so fast...

GodAnnihilation

Oct 17, 2009
Just for a laugh. I killed everyone at the beginning of fallout 3. Later in the game, I found a vault (Can't Remember Which One) and I took a little look inside. While walking down the corridor, the lights changed to a slight purple and I was like wtf!? So I took a few steps back and the light went normal. I assumed it jut happened after adventuring so far. However, after walking forward again, the light remained normal, till I hit a big long corridor. The lights turned purple, I turned around, EVERYONE i had killed earlier from vault 101 appeared and attacked me, I turned around to find more attacking me, and I was taking damage. After running forward, they all disappeared and the lights turned normal again. I was half way into the vault at the time, and severely scared to return back to the entrance.

A long Story I know, But definitely my scariest experience in a game by far.

TJM8

Jan 25, 2009
almost every game has that effect on me at some point hah. Even though its supposed ot be scary as hell, im ashamed of how scared Condemned made me. Half life 2 had its moments xP

Aug 13, 2009
Assasin's Creed 2's parts with subject 16 are fing scary

If I were to go back a long time ago I was terrified of dieing in Banjo Kazooy (however you spell it) becuase i was scared of the witch

and Fallout 3's hallucination part in that one expansion

Lamppenkeyboard

Jun 3, 2009
At 3am in the morning, I was terrified that the companion cube really would begin to threaten me. That is the only real example.

xscoot

Sep 8, 2009
The Ugly.

What makes it embarrassing is that it's a flash game on Newgrounds, while Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil games never scared me.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Gyrefalcon said:
Nincompoop said:
pimppeter2 said:
Oblivion

When Mudcrabs sneak up on me
This Lol... I'm serious. You be hearing the combat soundtrack, but you can't find your enemy. Turning around like crazy, getting paranoid and then BAM suddenly you get attacked, God that has often scared me.

OT: Apes was scary =/... Not really ashamed to admit it, nor anything else. I actually like being scared.
Mudcrabs and racers both-there is an enemy and you can't spot it! You barely escaped some dark cavern and you are sure you missed something or a lich has followed you outside and BAM! It's a racer directly overhead or a mudcrab sneaking up the bank.
What's a racer? Anyways, when you're approached by Lucien the first time is freaky =P. Or when you've broken one of the Dark Brotherhood tenants and you have to redeem yourself by defeating an a avatar of Sithis in those nasty ghost forms.

Spiner909

Dec 3, 2009
I'm not ashamed about this, but on MW2 Spec Ops...I screamed on my mic when the juggernauts started chasing me.

This was veteran, mind you.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
xscoot said:
The Ugly.

What makes it embarrassing is that it's a flash game on Newgrounds, while Silent Hill 2 and Resident Evil games never scared me.
I'm gonna play it...

Numb1lp

Jan 21, 2009
The Batman Scarecrow trip out thing was a little creepy. Come to think of it, that game as a whole was a little odd.

Zomni42

Jul 22, 2008
Playing Batman Arkham Asylum was fun and unscarry till it had me utterly convinced my Xbox had just died.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
F.E.A.R. got me, but it was cheap scares, like rounding a corner then having a bloody face flash on the screen with a scream. Was more annoying than scary, knew I wouldn't like it and took it back.

BioShock got me a little bit, when you're walking into the Doctors area and you enter that dark passage and you can see his silhouette performing crazy surgery.

Also the various traps in Dragon Age fucked with me, even if I knew they were coming, especially the explosion ones. I jumped quite a few times.

FallenJellyDoughnut

Jun 28, 2009
Journeythroughhell said:
Half-Life 2.
You can say anything about Valve but, man, do they love cheap scares.
Also, the athmosphere of that game is brilliant.
They do? I never noticed other than the headcrab falling out of the Ravenholm entrance and the zombies who suddenly wake up.

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
Evil Tim said:
thatstheguy said:
Title says it all. I would say for me, it'd be Donkey Kong 64. Why? Those freggin' caves and enemies respawning out of no where to scare you. That and K. Rool.
Not Mario 64? CLANG CLANG CLANG THE PIANO HAS TEETH NOW
I remember that. All it really did was startle me though. I do remember trying for hours to see if I could kill the thing to no success.

Evil Tim

Apr 18, 2009
thatstheguy said:
I remember that. All it really did was startle me though. I do remember trying for hours to see if I could kill the thing to no success.
I found the Boo dialog to be uncharacteristically creepy, too.

"Ghosts...don't...DIE!"