Games that you've lost momentum with (stopped playing)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Lack of pacing/structure is what kills it for me, so usually it happens with RPGs and sandboxes.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Zen Bard said:
The Darkness - Fun game with great voice acting and atmosphere. The Darkness powers make it pretty unique. But as an actual FPS, it's sort of mediocre. And those WW1 levels were a bit tedious. Still, I had fun when I played it. But I stopped about midway through and never felt compelled to go back.
This makes me very sad face; "The Darkness" is one of my favorite games from last gen. It got so little love, but it was such an incredible game!! The characters alone were worth the money, then you add in those vicious darkness powers?? Ugh, makes me want to play it right now... #IllAlwaysLoveYouJenny

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
I'm really trying to resist this nowadays, as before I would really easily drop whatever game I had been playing for something new and never really get back to it. As such, I'm trying to get all the trophies in games before I move on to something else, if it is reasonable to do so. Still, I do have quite the backlog.

Watch Dogs - typical sandbox open world game with an interesting but very underdeveloped hacking system. Story is rather dull and wandering around doing whatever is more entertaining. Will try to get back to it at some point.

Samurai Warriors 4 - I enjoy the Warriors series of games. They are great for unwinding after a busy day, letting you hack and slash through hundreds of mooks in a 20 minute or so span of time. There are just so many factions in this particular game, though, that I have not managed to get through them all and moved on to other games. I do plan to go back to it though, maybe in little bursts between other games.

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain - I DID finish the storyline of this game, but I would like to get all the trophies. I just needed a break from it since I played nothing but it from September when it was released until January when I finished the story (I don't get a lot of gaming time these days between work, kids, and spending time with my wife), and I just haven't gone back to it.

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 - I've practically abandoned my PS3, though I refuse to get rid of it as I have a bunch of games that I may replay at some point. This is the one I was last working on before stopping though. I would like to finish it as I really was enjoying the story of Dracula.

Lego Marvel Super Heroes - Just got tired of a bunch of similar stages with too many instances of needing a superpower I did not have available. Lots of replay available that I just didn't want to do. Hopefully when my kids get a bit older we can play it together.

Currently avoiding working more on Uncharted 4 because I've gotten a bit stuck on Crushing difficulty, so I've been playing the classic battles in Injustice: Gods Among Us. I keep working on Uncharted now and then, but after spending 5-6 hours on one part of the game, I'm getting a bit demoralized (first enemy section of the Marooned chapter).

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Divinity: Original Sin. I want to keep playing, but I made the mistake of allowing one character to have an AI personality and she's fucked up every single dialogue where I want to cooperate with NPCs. I'd restart, but I'm like 5 hours in and I cannot be bothered to do so. Which is a damn shame because I was enjoying the gameplay and world.

Also Darkest Dungeon. It's a fun game and I really dig the Lovecraftian atmosphere and plot, but there is so much grind in the game. Grind for days. Literally. Plus, some of the bosses have ludicrously powerful, uncounterable attacks and watching as the Sonorous Prophet or the Collector skullfucked my 2nd level party did not help me want to keep playing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
COMaestro said:
Samurai Warriors 4 - I enjoy the Warriors series of games. They are great for unwinding after a busy day, letting you hack and slash through hundreds of mooks in a 20 minute or so span of time. There are just so many factions in this particular game, though, that I have not managed to get through them all and moved on to other games. I do plan to go back to it though, maybe in little bursts between other games.
The irony is that I never was a big fan of Koei-Tecmo's (Koei before their partnership) Warrior series. I started with Hyrule Warriors (a non-Zelda fan a too) and it got me hooked. Then I got Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition and ripped through most of it. I still have to finish Wei's, Shu's, & Lu Bu's "what-if" scenarios though. Samurai Warriors 4 was just amazing for me and a lot of fun. Within two weeks, I've already gotten through all of the game's campagins. the only thing left is to finish Chronicle mode, which I am in the middle of now. I got it for twenty dollars used.

I think SW4 is the best KT has so far has to offer in terms of their genre. SW4 may not have as much content nor weapon variety as DW8XL, but makes up for it with super fast gameplay. Not that DW8 is not fast paced, but combat does feel a sluggish compared to SW4 or HW. Avoid SW4-II, it's lazy a expansion pack with a worse story, and much less content to offer. I don't know about SW4: Empires but since I am already going through Chronicle mode, I see no need to get it now even though Empires dropped to thirty dollars at this point.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Xprimentyl said:
Zen Bard said:
The Darkness - Fun game with great voice acting and atmosphere. The Darkness powers make it pretty unique. But as an actual FPS, it's sort of mediocre. And those WW1 levels were a bit tedious. Still, I had fun when I played it. But I stopped about midway through and never felt compelled to go back.
This makes me very sad face; "The Darkness" is one of my favorite games from last gen. It got so little love, but it was such an incredible game!! The characters alone were worth the money, then you add in those vicious darkness powers?? Ugh, makes me want to play it right now... #IllAlwaysLoveYouJenny
Don't be sad!

There are always these vicious

(Sorry...couldn't resist!)

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I've lost steam with LoZ: Oracle of Seasons, which I was playing for the first time several months ago.

I'm also losing steam with Guild Wars 2, but that's a long process, and I'll still drop in whenever they release something new. It's just that the expansion didn't contain enough to keep me going for long.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Technically every game ever.

But notables? Fallout Everything, WOW, Resident Evil everything outside of 4 and 0, Final Fantasy everything outside 6. And every other game ever, ever

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Happyninja42 said:
Poetic Nova said:
Fallout 4.

This is appearantly becoming the new standards in "rpg".
Not only does it fuck with the lore even more than 3 did (which I consider a decent spin off but nothing more), it also removes eveything a RPG stands for and streamlines it into a shooter with the Fo brand on top of it.

Really boring mess. Spend 10 hours on it, sold it afterwards and went back to New Vegas.
Speaking of New Vegas, that was another title that I just gave up on, for years. Every time I tried to play that and beat it, I just couldn't give a shit about what was going on. It didn't feel post-apocalyptic to me at all, considering it was just "the desert". They even mention that the New Vegas area of the world was largely left untouched by the Great War, so it was mostly undamaged. Which for me, translated into a setting that felt like it was modern day, just in a desert. I didn't feel like I was centuries in the future, I just felt like I was in some rundown ghost town dirt hole area in Arizona or Nevada, a place I could easily find today. And the plot, just couldn't care about it at all. I eventually sat down and beat the game, but it took a lot of mental fortitude, and I had to make my character be Dr. McNinja (ran around in a lab coat, and a Legion face mask item, closest I could get to ninja mask, and attack everything with a katana), to actually get invested enough to beat the game.
Frankly, while I love the game, I cannot blame you. Although I do want to argue that it is set in a society that was rebuild on what did survive the war. While the apocalyptic feel may not be there (that is something LR did way better) I stil find it a interesting world myself, even if it could use slightly more colours than 5 shades of sand.

I think that the real meat of the game lies in Dead Money, Old World Blues and Lonesome Road.
Dead Money is survival, with a hint of horror (for me it works very well, and I do love this DLC) and I think it is underappreciated.
Old World Blues is 40/50's science fiction realised in a game. Great humor and yet, it fits well in with the rest of the game.
Lonesome Road, this one really gives a post apocalyptic feel, up to the point of making me depressed by looking at the remnants of the 2 cities alone.

Kerg3927

Jun 8, 2015
Skyrim ... As a 30-year RPG veteran, I wandered around for about a week looking for the story before giving up. At first the scenery was cool, but it quickly became incredibly boring. Someone online once described it as a "Scandinavian hiking simulator" and I think that sums it up perfectly for me. Mainly, it just made me realize that I don't like massive open world RPG's.

As a completionist, I feel compelled to explore under every rock, experience every storyline, and do every quest, and in games with ridiculously huge maps and tons of fetch quests, that only leads to mind-numbing tedium and boredom. I much prefer more confined games with focused storylines, and I hate the bigger-is-better trend that RPG heavyweights like Bioware are moving toward (e.g. DAI and from the looks of it, ME Andromeda). Even the Witcher 3 was a bit of a slog. It's the best of the few massive open world games that I've played, and I did finish it, but it would have been a much better game with a map 1/2 the size and a couple hundred fewer smugglers' caches and bandit camps, IMO.

Pillars of Eternity ... As a one time huge fan of Baldur's Gate, which this game was supposed to be modeled after, I respect what they tried to do, but I just couldn't get over the primitive feel. 1998-style RPG's should probably stay in 1998 where they belong.

Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void ... I loved the first two parts of the trilogy, but I just don't like playing as Protoss, and the story seemed really cheesy, even by Blizzard's standards. I quit about 80% through it, and have never gone back.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
A fair few...

Dark souls. Pissed me off in plenty of ways. With no sign posting I went from the campfire to the jason and the argonaughts style skeleton area. They look like low lvl mobs from any game but they turned out to by high level killing machines.

If heard DS was tough so figured this was why. I struggled through the area as the ai is terrible and the enemy jump off cliffs like lemmings. I thought shields were useless and never got one as the lvl difference meant the killed me through tne shield. Then the PVP... I looked forward to this but the lag made it unplayable. People wiuld teleport behind to back stab and swings from well out of range would land. They should habe cut pvp rather than release that mess.

Alien isolation. Figured I was playing hide and seek with something faster than me that I couldnt fight. Trial and error bs soon bored me.

Planescape torment. After reading multiclassing my charecter had ruined him i lost motivation

GTA4. I unlocked the middle island but then got really bored of it all being the same.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I've played a whole lot of Tokyo Mirage Sessions but stopped quite suddenly when I started recording gameplay of other things. Aquaman, Pokemon Green and, Demon's Souls happened which is probably why I slowed down with TMS but before that I stopped playing Twilight Princess HD to play Tokyo Mirage Sessions...I don't know when I'll get back into TPHD.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I been hearing for a long time how Fallout 3 and Oblivion and their sequels have ruined RPGs. People are even saying it on this thread.

People have also been saying Wasteland 2 was a real RPG. I played it and found the exact same problems that have been pointed out by other people to me that was wrong with the recent Fallouts and Elder Scrolls. Bad writing, bad endings, limited ways to get around a situation, limited choices in responses, sometimes you pick a response and something else comes out (which I think is worse in a text game as all you had to do was copy and paste) and no consequences to actions.

I then went back and played Baulder's Gate 2 which a lot of people see as the epitome of a good RPG. Same problems. Wasteland 2 retroactively made Baulder's Gate bad.

I didn't even get through half the game of Wasteland 2 and couldn't finish my new newest run of Baulder's Gate

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Poetic Nova said:
Happyninja42 said:
Poetic Nova said:
Fallout 4.

This is appearantly becoming the new standards in "rpg".
Not only does it fuck with the lore even more than 3 did (which I consider a decent spin off but nothing more), it also removes eveything a RPG stands for and streamlines it into a shooter with the Fo brand on top of it.

Really boring mess. Spend 10 hours on it, sold it afterwards and went back to New Vegas.
Speaking of New Vegas, that was another title that I just gave up on, for years. Every time I tried to play that and beat it, I just couldn't give a shit about what was going on. It didn't feel post-apocalyptic to me at all, considering it was just "the desert". They even mention that the New Vegas area of the world was largely left untouched by the Great War, so it was mostly undamaged. Which for me, translated into a setting that felt like it was modern day, just in a desert. I didn't feel like I was centuries in the future, I just felt like I was in some rundown ghost town dirt hole area in Arizona or Nevada, a place I could easily find today. And the plot, just couldn't care about it at all. I eventually sat down and beat the game, but it took a lot of mental fortitude, and I had to make my character be Dr. McNinja (ran around in a lab coat, and a Legion face mask item, closest I could get to ninja mask, and attack everything with a katana), to actually get invested enough to beat the game.
Frankly, while I love the game, I cannot blame you. Although I do want to argue that it is set in a society that was rebuild on what did survive the war. While the apocalyptic feel may not be there (that is something LR did way better) I stil find it a interesting world myself, even if it could use slightly more colours than 5 shades of sand.

I think that the real meat of the game lies in Dead Money, Old World Blues and Lonesome Road.
Dead Money is survival, with a hint of horror (for me it works very well, and I do love this DLC) and I think it is underappreciated.
Old World Blues is 40/50's science fiction realised in a game. Great humor and yet, it fits well in with the rest of the game.
Lonesome Road, this one really gives a post apocalyptic feel, up to the point of making me depressed by looking at the remnants of the 2 cities alone.
I'm glad you enjoy the game, but I disagree about the DLC's, and the overall feel of the game. All the DLC's felt completely isolated from everything else, and the tonal shift of them was so stark, that it felt more like several mini games that were all just under the same brand name of New Vegas. And I understand they were going for a different feel, by design, with New Vegas. My point is just that that "new feel", didn't really sing to me. It didn't feel like I was stalking the remnants of a nuked out carcass of the United States...it just felt like I was in a shitty desert town area. And it could've been at any point in time really. They had running lights, massively actually in places. Almost zero radiation, clean water, a public transportation system between two of the major hubs, agriculture, etc. And while those things are cool, and if I'm part of building those things in a game, I'm invested. But when they're already there, I just kind of...*shrugs* meh.

Firoth

Jul 14, 2010
Dragon Age: Inquisition. I got to the Winter Palace for the ball and completely lost interest. I already maxed out every character and completed every quest/DLC/secret that are available to that point. I may get a guide and go back again...maybe. I loved and completed the first 2 games multiple times, including Awakening.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Ezekiel said:
bjj hero said:
Alien isolation. Figured I was playing hide and seek with something faster than me that I couldnt fight. Trial and error bs soon bored me.
Alien: Isolation isn't trial and error. If you understand stealth games, you should be able to avoid even a randomly moving AI instinctively. The only trial and error I can think of is the alien pulling you up into vents, but it drools and you can see it on you radar and hear the ping and the creature, so you should be aware of it. The game is fair. I did die a fair number of times the first time (Hard mode), but not even close to the point of being annoyed. Finally we get a stealth game that doesn't have the same scripted, predictable enemy locations and patrols every time and people criticize the thing that sets it apart.
Hiding in a closet waiting for the big nasty to leave got boring for me. I could have been playing something in that time. Im not trying to be a smart ass. I found myself bored and stopped playing a game Id paid for and had been looking forward to.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
I'm the kind of guy who *hates* putting down games without any good reason or complaint, but every few months I have a few contributions to threads like these. I can't seem to compile all the most recent ones, but I'll list a few out here:

- Alan Wake: really dig the story, but the combat wasn't doing it for me somehow. Was turned on to better things soon after. Maybe one day.

- Divinity Original Sin: Also loved this game, but it is fairly nuanced and intricate with the combat elements. I left it too long after moving countries (separate computers and whatnot) and couldn't bring myself to crash course through it again.

- Grim Dawn: Now this I really have no good reason other than that I got Fallout 4 soon after. I WILL finish this game eventually, because it's relatively simple (for an RPG) and really fun to play.

-Project CARS: I was a little too fired up for this game, and was severely disappointed. Next to other sims like DiRT: Rally and Assetto Corsa it just feels like garbage so I stopped playing after a few hours.