Games you couldn't understand the hype over?

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
Halo, Mass effect, World of Warcraft <- Massive massive Over rated game. and pretty much any MMO

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Reaper195 said:
Half-Life 2. No...seriously. There is a reason FPS games stopped having grenades and melee weapons as entirely separate weapons. The story seems to have a shit load missing. Alyx Vance is NOT interesting (Nor is she really that likeable). I have no idea where the fuck the game takes place, aside from somewhere in eastern Europe (Possibly one of the Soviet satellites). What the hell happened at the end of the first game, which somehow connected with the second, and why is the G-Man even still....anything?

Seriously....Half-Life 2 seems like the kind of game people SHOULD be spending large amounts of time in the Internet complaining about, instead for complaining about how ME3s ending was crap. It seemed the only thing the game had going for it was the physics system and graphics.
What's to complain about? the very high standard of writing and characterization? the great understanding and implementation of a character/player driven narrative within an interactive context? the unique use of visual design elements as world building and expository devices? well balanced and dynamic gameplay that easily incorporates action, puzzling and mood building? pioneering a physics engine as a gameplay element? the masterful pacing?

Even your few criticisms have little actual weight... it doesn't really matter where the game takes place... it's not relevant to the story... having separate weapon slots is important to the pacing and flow of action... if it were set up... like say... CoD... it would suffer the same problem... in that the action would be far too fast paced to concentrate on anything else and seeing as how puzzles and thinking are an actual element in the game you can't just faze out and just run around shooting people in the face... as far as the story goes let's not forget that it's an episodic series and we're still waiting for some details that will no doubt be cleared up in Half-Life Episode 3 or Half-Life 3 or whatever... and a lot of the details concerning Half-Life 1 connecting to Half-Life 2 are actually easily cleared up in the second game... there are very few things... aside from the G-Man that hasn't been cleared up... that's relevant to the overarching plot anyway...<.<

Also, the bit on Alyx Vance is a matter of opinion...

OT: The Halo games... they've always been really bleh... nothing special... I mean they do nothing particularly wrong... but at the same time they do nothing particularly right... just always somewhere in the middle... though I suppose that's why... just bland enough to have a mass market appeal...<.<

Fallout 3/ New Vegas... I mean they're quite innovative I suppose... but that's it... clunky interface... clunky gameplay... impossible to roleplay... boring world... boring characters... boring plot... just nothing I particularly like about them... though I suppose up against everything else lately the series is a breath of fresh air... though I find it utterly unpolished...

Borderlands... yus it has a unique visual style... but that's all I see in it... the rest is just mindless repetition... and annoying robots...

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Any shooter that tries to pretend it's CoD (no, I know how it ends. Spoiler alert! It won't kick CoD out of the throne).

I also couldn't bring myself to care about Uncharted and Killzone 2-3. Uncharted looked and played flawlessly but a game is not the sum of it's parts, it was still generic.

Loved the first Killzone and didn't like the sequels at all. I don't understand what went wrong but to me the most mediocre title of the series is still the best.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Reaper195 said:
Half-Life 2. No...seriously. There is a reason FPS games stopped having grenades and melee weapons as entirely separate weapons. The story seems to have a shit load missing. Alyx Vance is NOT interesting (Nor is she really that likeable). I have no idea where the fuck the game takes place, aside from somewhere in eastern Europe (Possibly one of the Soviet satellites). What the hell happened at the end of the first game, which somehow connected with the second, and why is the G-Man even still....anything?

Seriously....Half-Life 2 seems like the kind of game people SHOULD be spending large amounts of time in the Internet complaining about, instead for complaining about how ME3s ending was crap. It seemed the only thing the game had going for it was the physics system and graphics.
There is a reason, and that reason is quick gameplay in online matches.

The best shooters I know have grenades as a separate equipment, like you have to do in real life. Sling your rifle, take grenade, pull pin, throw. You kinda need two hands to do it.

Story seems to have a shitload missing... fair enough, but Lost was the same thing to me and didn't make it enjoyable.

Alyx Vance? A lot of people don't like her.

Don't forget that HL2 suffers from the "Seinfeld Effect". In hindsight, it can appear awful to many because they don't realize that HL2 is part of the reason why games are like they are today.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Well... i didn't expect Duke Nukem Forever to be particulary good and i have no idea why many people thought it would be. I mean, it was pretty obvious that the developers spent most of their fifteen years picking their nose and hoping someone else would finish the game for them. And because the world is unfair someone else actually did finish the game for them.

TephlonPrice

Dec 24, 2011
Battlefield 3. Would I be chatised for saying I thought it was a fancy tech demo like Crysis but without the interesting gameplay mechanics (eg. Nanosuits), a tacked-on campaign which plays like a giant QTE sequence instead of giving you an idea of what you'll be hopping into, and an MP that I could see the hype for, but made me long for BF2 or Unreal Tournament 2004 again?

Did I mention BF3 could've used some more content to help it along a bit? Ya know, like mod tools so I could recreate Ponyville for an FPS? Or some decent bots so I get used to vehicle controls without putting an F-18's engine up my ass & in the ground? Or something like a class-based survival mode, where 1-12 players, each with their respective classes, hold out in a building against enemy forces who use the destructible environments with reckless abandon to kill you?

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I have mentioned this in the past but Portal 2, I just don't get why everyone is dry humping Valves leg over this game. Sure it was funny but it was so boring (and ugly and repetetive) that I only got so far and stopped playing due to the fear I was falling into a coma.

thememan

Mar 30, 2012
LiquidSolstice said:
Skyrim. After blowing $60 on it, I don't know how the fuck anyone stays patient enough to play it.
You obviously never played Morrowind. For the first 20-some hours you are effectively being ripped to shreds by Mudcrabs of all things. It is at this point you are graduated to "Nix-Hound kibble". Only after investing nearly a hundred hours worth of time can you confidently stroll the landscape without getting eviscerated if you wander across the random bestiary you did not plan to run into but did.

Skryim moves at lightning speed for anyone who played Morrowind. That said, it's a sort of game that isn't for everyone really. It's a whole lot of "making your own way" with little to no guidance at all. Which is what I have always loved about the series.

thememan

Mar 30, 2012
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Well... i didn't expect Duke Nukem Forever to be particulary good and i have no idea why many people thought it would be. I mean, it was pretty obvious that the developers spent most of their fifteen years picking their nose and hoping someone else would finish the game for them. And because the world is unfair someone else actually did finish the game for them.
Actually, the story of Duke Nukem Forever is infinitely more idiotic than that. The lead developer would get damn near finsished with the game, a new game engine would come out, and since it was new he had to have it! So the entire game was scrapped and they restarted from square one multiple times. On certain occasions, it was somewhere around 50% or so complete, on others I've read that it reached 80-90% complete in development... only to be completely scrapped and built from the ground up. As I recall this happened somewhere on the order of about 5 or 6 times during development. The current incarnation is the result of the license being bought with the game essentially at 75% or so completion, and producer effectively saying "Fuck it" and haphazardly finished it within a few months just to ship it.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
thememan said:
Actually, the story of Duke Nukem Forever is infinitely more idiotic than that. The lead developer would get damn near finsished with the game, a new game engine would come out, and since it was new he had to have it! So the entire game was scrapped and they restarted from square one multiple times. On certain occasions, it was somewhere around 50% or so complete, on others I've read that it reached 80-90% complete in development... only to be completely scrapped and built from the ground up. As I recall this happened somewhere on the order of about 5 or 6 times during development. The current incarnation is the result of the license being bought with the game essentially at 75% or so completion, and producer effectively saying "Fuck it" and haphazardly finished it within a few months just to ship it.
Actually when Gearbox got DNF it was nearly 95% done. All Gearbox did was finish some of the last things 3D Realms had left to do and release it.

When we got was exactly what 3D realms was planning to release anyways. Randy Pitchford over at Gearbox even promised not to change anything 3D realms made because of the fact he worked at 3D realms on Duke Nukem 3D back in the day.

It isn't the result of some rushed last minute development, it was as it was supposed to be.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
The amount of people (teenagers) in my hometown that were eagerly anticipating MW3 and expecting an entirely new gaming experience. Wow. It's funny, too, because there were no pre-orders of BO, MW2 or WaW in my hometown (at least not at EB Games or K-Mart) but MW3 was so popular it had a midnight launch at both stores!

*shrugs*

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Nothing new to add:
Skyrim - rented it, it felt lifeless and boring

Half Life 2 - just got bored

Halo - never liked the art style of this series

Fallout 3 - bought it for my (now dead) 360 and got bored even if i`m some kind of gore hound.

GTA4 - as much as i liked the characters and the whole story/setting it was kind of a drag to play and there was not much to do for an open world game (boring minigames/ i-net and social contacts aren`t my kind of fun). I liked both DLC episodes more and i love how Rockstar tied all three stories together.

COD - i like them but i started to rent the last entries. Activision got enough money from me and there`s nothing new to get hyped about (the last former pleasent suprise was the switch from WW2 to modern combat a long time ago). Now it`s like watching some action movie on tv when you`ve nothing better to do and forget about it as soon as it ends. Good forgettable fun tough.

thememan

Mar 30, 2012
SajuukKhar said:
thememan said:
Actually when Gearbox got DNF it was nearly 95% done. All Gearbox did was finish some of the last things 3D Realms had left to do and release it.

When we got was exactly what 3D realms was planning to release anyways. Randy Pitchford over at Gearbox even promised not to change anything 3D realms made because of the fact he worked at 3D realms on Duke Nukem 3D back in the day.

It isn't the result of some rushed last minute development, it was as it was supposed to be.
Wow. That's pretty damn sad then. Guess my info was wrong, and I wrote that at about 5 in the morning here so I was a tad less than concerned about looking up the actuality.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
That I have actually played so that I'm not speaking out of ignorance? Probably The Sims. Bored the ever loving FUCK out of me. Granted I only played the first one without any of the expansions, but I can't imagine how any of that would've made it any less boring.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
The Call of Duty and Battlefield series. I'm not a huge FPS multiplayer fan.

Skyrim, to a lesser extent. Wouldn't say it's a bad game. I'm sure lots of effort went into making such expansive environments and the like, but once the initial thrills wore off, and I realized just about every quest would follow the same fetch quest formula, it's hard to regain its appeal.
I mean, even for all the flak Oblivion got I at least spent more time interested in its plot and guild storylines, whereas the plots in Skyrim were spread noticeably thin.