Games you didn't like, but you liked the idea of

Myndnix

Aug 11, 2012
The World Ends With You.
I love absolutely everything about that game...except the gameplay. I loathe touchscreen control. If that was optional, I'd probably love the game.

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
100% Spore. The game on paper sounds great but the end result was a game that was 5 mini games joined together. It just completely lacked any depth for a concept that is potentially limitless in what could be done.

Greni

Jun 19, 2011
I'll go off the rails and say Crysis.

The premise is cool, a secret supersoldier squad with badass nanosuits in south america (I think) killing some mooks in awesome ways for their mookish evildoings; but then enemysquad of nanosuitwearing supersoldiers and suddenly ALIENS and a spaceship and WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING!?

Yeah, the premise is cool, the gameplay mechanics are cool, the graphics and physics are fucking beautiful, but the story and execution is a mess. Seems to me they were trying to tell three stories at once.

The multiplayer was average as well.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
It has already been mentioned, but I sorta kinda have to agree on Brütal Legend.

I was expecting a fun adventure/hack-n-slash type of game. Then I got to the first RTS-moment in the game. For fucks sake Double Fine, how the hell do you expect me to organize this shit from the ground? I couldn't see shit from down there. And yes, I know that you get wings later on and can play it like a real RTS, but that first RTS-battle was so confusing and offputting that I haven't played in almost 3 years. Shame, 'cause it's cool as fuck otherwise.

Red Dead Revolver (NOT Red Dead Redemption, that was awesome) got boring quick. It was basically cutscene, shoot some badguys, another cutscene, shoot some other badguys, yet another cutscene, have a drinking contest with martians. Sorry, I meant shoot some badguys. I don't remember how far I got, but it was the same damn thing over and over. I really wanted to like it since games that take place in the old west are so rare, but it was just dull as hell.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Greni said:
I'll go off the rails and say Crysis.

The premise is cool, a secret supersoldier squad with badass nanosuits in south america (I think) killing some mooks in awesome ways for their mookish evildoings; but then enemysquad of nanosuitwearing supersoldiers and suddenly ALIENS and a spaceship and WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING!?

Yeah, the premise is cool, the gameplay mechanics are cool, the graphics and physics are fucking beautiful, but the story and execution is a mess. Seems to me they were trying to tell three stories at once.

The multiplayer was average as well.

Its funny because for me the game was pretty boring until the "enemy nanosuitwearing supersoldiers" and the aliens showed up. Then it got a LOT better.

The final boss was pretty meh thougt.

recurve6

Jan 8, 2011
Mirror's Edge, though I did like it up until the last 1/4 of it. It becomes so difficult and cheap with the combat/obstacles that it's not fun anymore.

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
Fracture. The whole idea of a modern civil war brings a different outlook to the Deux Ex style "what really is man?" conversation. If explored with actual depth and given major gameplay revisions (I'd actually like a hybrid RTS with the ability to send agents on third person missions to sabotage buildings or execute important agents for the other side), it could have been a ton of fun. Sadly, Fracture was not fun. At all.

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
Woodsey said:
Alpha Protocol was atrocious, but the concept remains appealing.
I actually didn't mind the game that much, but I agree the concept could have been much better executed. Honestly, I wish all open world games made your actions have legitimate in game consequences like Alpha Protocol tried to do

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Falcon123 said:
Woodsey said:
I actually didn't mind the game that much, but I agree the concept could have been much better executed. Honestly, I wish all open world games made your actions have legitimate in game consequences like Alpha Protocol tried to do
The odd thing about it was that Obsidian's saving grace is usually its writing, but Alpha Protocol's was fucking awful: dialogue and story. But yes, the plot malleability was impressive. Just a shame about the rest of it.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
The pokemon games. Granted, I didn't mind the games when I was a kid. But considering the fact that, gameplay wise, it hasn't changed for the last two decades, it's really put me off playing them ever again. Not to mention the extra four hundred pokemon that...well...I don't even know what to think when I see half of them. I wouldn't mind the disgusting amount of grinding you need to do in the games if it weren't for the fact that walking around in the same patch of shitty looking grass on a portable Nintendo device was just so...old.

Essentially...if Pokemon was an open-world 3D game, played somewhat similar to recent Elder Scroll games, I would go back to loving the series. But not it just feels like that girl you slept with for the first time in high school. But now you're out of school and in the real world, she's the biggest whore ever. And still wear's that ridiculous school girl outfit, even though she doesn't fit it. And is fat.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Recently quantum conundrum. Could have been really good, but was actually boring and at times annoying to play.

Sande45

Mar 28, 2011
Far Cry 2. On paper everything was perfect, but it turned out shooting mechanics, driving mechanics, AI, story, health system and map design were awful.

DayZ. --Before I continue, I'm happy say that there's still hope for this game since it's still in beta(?) and a whole new console version is being developed etc.-- The idea is f***ing brilliant: Realistic open world zombie survival with an actual emphasis on survival. But technically it's a complete, utter mess and something has to be done to discourage people from killing each other.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Overusedname said:
Oddly enough...Kirby's Epic Yarn is high on the list for me.

Amazing Art, fun premise, lots of potential for creative gameplay based off the visuals...and then you actually start playing it.

I love several kid-friendly games but well...Mario can be enjoyed by anyone, so can Zelda, so can several older Kirby games. But oh god, this game feels like it was made for infants. The bed-time story presentations and the creepy narrator, the boring, risk-free gameplay, the overly cute and peaceful atmosphere with no emotional variation whatsoever.

*sigh*...it looks so pretty...and it's kirby. Why is it so bad?
Because originally it wasn't going to be a Kirby game. Seriously. Good-Feel was originally going to make a new IP and Nintendo was like "Hell with that, it's cute and fluffy, let's slap Kirby on it!"

OT: Now I'm trying to rack my brain here. I've always sucked at Mario games, but they are fun... nope, don't really have anything on the top of my - wait!

Rage. What a piece of shit that was, for all of their touted graphical and AI revolutions. The thing barely even ran on my PC at launch, and when it did run it was one of the buggiest and ugliest things I've ever played. Sad, too, because it looked interesting for a post-apocalyptic first-person shooter.

Captcha is making puns now... "sloane ranger".

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
Most any game I looked forward too, but turned out like shite.

The list thus far:

Brink
Homefront
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Mirror's Edge
Bioshock 2

There should be others I forgot at the moment.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
Sonic '06... hell yes I said it and I mean it.

It made me wonder what a co-op 3D platformer would be like with each character having their own talents and knowledge of the situation at large. You think that wouldn't be something I took away from this but there it is.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Woodsey said:
This. So much.

I loved how much each decision seemed to affect the story. Thornton's decisions all seemed to be my decisions, too. There were so few moments where personal choice was taken from you and every choice had legitimate, far-reaching consequences. Multiple playthroughs can almost feel like different stories. It helps that the writing and story were great themselves, so you WANTED to play again to see how different scenarios would play out.

Unfortunately, the stealth mechanics were bullshit, the AI was bullshit, the shooting was MASSIVE bullshit and it was a glitchy mess. There's a bit in one of the middle eastern levels where you open a door and one of the guards IMMEDIATELY runs after you. He hasn't spotted you, he's just homing in on you and if you don't kill him before he sees you an alarm automatically sounds. Not to mention that running will alert guards three floors up, I mean, what the F? In order to remain hidden, half the time, you had to abuse that ridiculous ability that makes you temporarily invisible, it was awful.

I wanted to love that game so much, but there's just far too much wrong with the actual gameplay.