Games you feel have too much padding

RubyT

Sep 3, 2009
TopazFusion said:
You must be new to the Bioshock games, because the other games in the series are like that too. (The first game especially so)

On more than one occasion, all you have to do is cross to the other side of a room and go through a door. But before you can, something bad always happens to block your path, and it forces you to go on some side trip (one of them is a collection mission) just to reopen the door again or unblock your path again.
This.

BioShock promised to be the most awesome game every made in the first hour or so, but then drifted into standard FPS mechanics - to open the door you need to start the engine in part a of the city, override a cable in part b and the flick a switch in part c - and repetitive fights with the same 3 enemies. Oh and don't forget about that minigame you had to play 5000 times.

The game had enough ideas for a whole series and more opportunities than Wile E. Coyote, but they must've run out of dev time.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
BrotherRool said:
I'm annoyed that I can't think of a specific example right now, but whenever you have a game where you get to the last mission and it tells you 'ah but you've got to do X extra crud before you can play it'. It didn't happen to me, but if you haven't maxed out your Karma in inFamous 2 it does this.

Shoggoth2588 said:
I'm replaying the original Mass Effect and while I do like the Elevator moments (because squaddies talking to each other is pretty cool) it feels like padding. So too does the, "you can only fast travel where we say you can fast travel" thing on the Citadel...reading some of the other comments makes me feel Bioware RPGs in general are well padded...
The lifts in Mass Effect 1 hid loading screens, so I don't know if that's padding per-say
True...but there were also plenty of actual load screens that I keep getting stuck behind when traveling to different systems, entering structures, etc.

---

I thought of another one, this one for Skyrim. Remember how in Morrowind or, Oblivion you could conceivably stumble through a cave's back-door if you knew where to go? You would skip out on the bulk of a dungeon but it would quickly finish up quests for you. The best example I can think of is finding The Brotherhood's hidden base in the hollowed out tree instead of going through a moderately lengthy dungeon. In Skyrim however, you can find backdoors all over the place but after about 15 to 20 paces, BAM! You encounter a door that is locked and can't be picked...screw you Skyrim, this is worse than New Vegas putting up invisible walls and effectively disabling the ability to walk up a vertical incline.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
my best examples are crime games, Mafia 2 and Sleeping Dogs
both games just kind of run out of things to do in act 2 and you just drive people around so they can go shopping or some other stupid excuse for a mission
sometimes you wouldn't even shoot anybody, just driving and chit chat
excuse me, but I don't think I played a game that was basically sold on the brutal fisticuffs action to drive the wives of mafia members around
jeez...

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Half Life 2. The first part of the game was so padded, I decided to screw this noise and watch the rest of the plot on YT.

To elaborate: The very beginning - awesome. I appear in town, people recognize me, Combine soldiers chase me, I run away, situation looks bad, and then Alyx comes to the rescue. Sequence was action packed, major character established, great job. BUT THEN...

After getting a brief explanation of what's going on, they're going to teleport me, so I can start the job from there. Awesome... Except headcrab jumped in, and teleporter went loco. I need to get to the place on foot. Okay, I understand, we're introducing Breen into the game, and entire sequence would be fine, if it was 1 firefight, maybe 2, and then we get back on the track. But the sequence is awfully long, and have those terrible boat sections in between (generic weaponry and scripted enemies didn't help as well). What a bore... But okay, I made it, I got an awesome gravity gun, now I can start rolling, right?

Nope, rocks fell, I'm separated, Now I must go through this spooky town to basically get back AGAIN to the starting point plot-wise. Again, I understand, father Grigori shows up, fine, but if it wasn't for gravity gun, Ravenholm would be a serious contender for worst level in gaming history.

Okay, I made it again, can I start the plot? What, another boat section? Oh no, not this time, fuck this game.

Seriously, whenever someone tells me that HL2 (or HL1 for that matter) has a good pacing, I die inside a little. For me this game is seriously overrated overall, but his particular part is just mind boggling for me, especially coming from people who bash other games for bad pacing, and then with a straight face tell me that HL series does it great (Yahtzee is a good example).

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Surprised no one has mentioned Darksiders 2.

I loved the game, but Christ did it feel padded at times. As Yahtzee joked about, everything about it is in threes. You go through this huge quest to reach the King of the Dead, and then he says you must kill 3 of his Lieutenants. During the quest to kill one of them, you have to retrieve 3 items to proceed, and that's merely the beginning. Pretty much everything in the game is a giant tease where you get to this major objective, only to discover that now you need some magical maguffin to make it work.

Like I said, I loved the game, but there were times when I said "you have got to be kidding me!" when I was told I needed to go retrieve 3 orbs of power to open this next door or whatever.

And as someone already mentioned, the Dwarf quest from Dragon Age: Origins. Christ I felt like I was running around in those tunnels for days.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Coakle said:
Wasn't DMC 4 famous for padding out its game length by making you fight each boss two times?
Actually you fight most of the bosses 3 times, and the second half of the game is just backtracking through the first half, just in a slightly different order.

God that game annoyed me so much. If it wasn't for the fact that the combat system is FUCKING BRILLIANT it would be one of the worst games I've ever played. Then again, because the combat is just that brilliant, it is in fact one of the best character action games.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Bioshock Infinite: Just about half of the gunfights and the entire finding the gunsmith guy. Just. Waste of time.
DMC4: As said above.
Grand Theft Auto 5: No, Michael, I don't care about your family or your studio crap in the later acts. Trevor also felt like 90% padding, I can't honestly remember him adding much to the game as a whole.
Far Cry 3: Uh, after Vaas was just padding. Seriously. Also, the forced turning on your friends segment.
Far Cry 2: I just.... over half of that game. At least. Fun, but oh my god.
Turrets: Every shooter ever.
Last of Us: About half of the hunter fights in/after the city.
Pokemon: Key item roadblocks, and other things. They're rarely needed and sometimes harm the experience.
Mabinogi: Every damn dungeon with like eight different forks in the road with nine of them ending in a pointless end of the hall. Oh my goodness.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Most games are much too padded for me personally. My 3 recent games have been Far Cry 3, Alice: Madness returns and Bastion.

Far Cry 3 got to a point where I was doing the exact same thing with the odd little interesting mission thrown in to keep me interested. It didn't work for long and I got very bored of the game.

Alice's platforming and combat sections felt a little dragged out and very repetitive, adding unwanted length to the game.

Bastion was fine until they decided to throw a little twist in there and have you collect fragments instead of cores, adding unwanted length to the game.

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
The worst game for padding I ever played was Suikoden IV. You spend like 50% of the game sailing across a boring-ass ocean dealing with random battles on the same boring ship background, that have very little variance.... so awful!

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
The most recent game that suffers from this is DD Dark Arisen. 90% of the sidequests are "Kill X amount of Y for person Z". Also, most quests take place on the opposite end of the noticeboard that you got the quest from. I normally wouldn't mind that but this game has a really bad fast travel system.

Like, really bad. Might as well not even have one.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Zelda: Skyward Sword springs to mind...

I normally like long games...especially if the story is captivating enough for me to push on through the dull bits. You don't really play Zelda games for the story though and I just wanted to push on but they kept throwing in a fetch quest before you could get to the next temple/dungeon.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
sanquin said:
Skyrim. Yes, the game's intention is to provide an open world with tons of small things to do in it. But the main story suffers because of it. Heck, some side-quests are better than the main storyline. If you put a main story in your game, you should damn well make sure it's at least as good as any other quest, instead of filling the game with dozens of generic dungeon crawling ones.
As much as I agree with you to an extent (and everyone else who mentioned Skyrim) but at least they were good attempts at padding, and allowed a good access for roleplaying. I would have liked to have seen more attempt at closing off certain quests based on your character build though... Why did my duel wielding pirate who focused on strength manage to beat the mages guild quests when all he could really do was summon a flame atronach?

I wouldn't count that as padding as much as 'collect the token' sandbox games such as Assasins Creed, Crackdown and Saints Row 4... All I remember from those games is a vague recollection of the story, and how I spent hours giving in to my OCD and collecting goddam everything!

The Saboteur had something similar too, but the 'collection' was similar to that in mercenaries, where a lot of the time you didn't just collect a token or place yourself in a certain area, but you had to blow something up, or fight yourway through an area! Much more exciting, and gave you mini adventures across the board!
The other thing that made The Saboteurs' collection better was it fitted neatly into the story. The whole idea was that you worked with the French resistance to liberate paris from German control. By taking out all the stuff in the game like V2 sites, AA guns and encampments this further freed up areas to your control that made you feel like you were progressing. The missions just helped open up areas, and were usually really good with fun set peices! The art style was good too... German areas had cloudy skies and were largely in greyscale with a splash of colour, whereas liberated areas were in full colour with blue sunny skies... it really gave you a feeling of progress through the game.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Someone already got AC 1, but allow me to throw Assassin's Creed 2 into the mix.

You had a fairly frantic pace up until you hit Venice, then suddenly you hit a bunch of boring almost-retutorial missions to assemble the thieve's guild. The Venice targets in general are barely given any screentime or role in the conspiracy. There's the tedious carnival minigame bit. After all that, you then have to go find all the Codex pages, and get the Armor, before it graciously allows you to go on the final mission.

The last part particularly seems like they just changed optional collectables into a requirement, to pad it out after failing to complete the missing chapters for release date.

deepdoop

Feb 10, 2014
I'm not an MMORPG expert, having only played maybe ten in my whole life, but MMORPGs in general. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy them, but they rely so heavily on fluff game play like taking eight years to walk from point A to B, then back to A from B, then go to C only to come back to B. Or A. I can't remember, I got lost.

Mind you, some definitely do a good job of making that easier. I know there are mounts and ways to teleport. However, there are MMOs I've played where this is more noticeable. I'm actually impressed by how well FF14:ARR handles it, even if it isn't flawlessly done. Probably one of the better MMOs I've played in that regard because you don't often have to walk real far.

It's kind of an interesting topic though, because recently MGS5: Ground Zeroes was criticized when it came out that it isn't very long. Some of it is valid because they are going to charge too much (BUT I LOVE METAL GEAR), but the bigger issue is basically, "Do games have to be long to be justified?" I say no. I'd rather a short but awesome experience over a long but mediocre game where they pad stuff just to add to the length.

Evangel

Apr 26, 2012
After just finishing it, Assassin's Creed 4 comes to mind. If you go story to story it isn't that bad but chasing 100% completion and a platinum added tns of tedium. Treasure chests and fragments out on the ocean, fleet missions taking up to 24 real hours unless you had friends on. And then making you hit 55 in the multiplayer to platinum. All this to pad out a good but short main story.