Games you liked but quit playing due to an (arguably) stupid problem.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I tried playing Demon's Souls recently and I realised that it wasn't actually as bad as I remembered from the first time around. I actually got around to killing the first demon and I thought that I would enjoy playing it this time. Then I got back to the Nexus and got told to go see The Elemental or The Monumental or something. It took me about 2 hours to find him, by which time I'm pretty annoyed. Then I started level 1-2 and got to the bit where the dragon flies overhead torching everything on the bridge. After dying about 5 times by fire, I get to the end of the bridge and get gang murdered by the bad guys there.

By this point I have had enough, rage quit the game and delete everything from my hard drive.

Yeah, good game, but after 2 separate attempts at playing this game, I realise I really don't have the patience for it.

Raika

Jul 31, 2011
Rift comes immediately to mind. The combination of abhorrent character design and an inability to rein in its own gimmick killed the experience for me.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
Tiswas said:
Shadows of the Damned. Wasn't particularly amazing but was enjoyable enough.

Then came to the Big Boner section. Just put it down and quit the whole thing with that.
I quit for the same reason. Well that and the unskippable cutscenes.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

I felt it was too short, I completed it in just 1 day.

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Misterian said:
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

I felt it was too short, I completed it in just 1 day.
Um I wouldn't say that you quit it since that usually implies you didn't beat it.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Shogun 2. The loading times for battles is just atrocious.

As a result I only ever managed to finish the campaign once (and I picked autobattle when possible which is a bad sign for a total war game as I bought it for the battles) out of 4 attempts or so and all coop campaigns I've tried have failed due to other player telling me "these loading times are ridiculous, cant we play something else?".

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
endtherapture said:
Quit Assassin's Creed 2 because I had to CLIMB A TOWER to CONTINUE THE STORY, with the stupid tower climbing jumping mechanic thing which didn't bloody work properly.

Quit Assassin's Creed 1 because I had to fight AN ARMY OF TEMPLARS despite the rest of the game being based on escaping your enemies and not fighting giant groups.
I assume you mean where you play as Altair? hold the jump button below the wooden thing for 5 seconds, then release. The jump mechanic works fine, it's just there is no situation other than that where it can be used, and you aren't told how to do it.

OT: Deus Ex: HR: When you get to the chinese place, I got very very lost. After Fate/Stay Night and Mass Effect 3 I'll try to get back to it.

Arkham City: The side quests pissed me off. By side quests, I mean, the 1 million riddler puzzles that you spend ages trying to do and then realise you need a special gadget for them.

Witcher 2: It was either too easy (casual) or too hard (normal) - yes I'm a terrible player, sue me. Not playing the first game thus finding it very hard to RP didn't help.

spacemutant IV

Feb 25, 2012
Gothic 2. I rage-quit this one because it presented me with a riddle I couldn't solve, and after a while didn't even want to solve anymore. I didn't want to go online and find the answer there either, because I refused to have this action RPG lure me into goddamn adventure territory. I hate adventures.

It was around the time the hero was getting ready to leave with the ship, and it involved some kind of note on a piece of paper that you were supposed to make something of. That's all I remember.

silverbear002

Nov 11, 2009
This might not count as a problem with the game but a couple of my friends consider a stupid reason I quit playing.

Mass Effect 2 - I love Mass Effect and the whole story, I also love rpg's and looting. In Mass Effect it had a constant stream of new armor, new weapons, new upgrades as you were playing. But, Mass Effect 2 took that away and I became bored using the same weapons and armor.

Toshiooh

Mar 17, 2011
My experience was with fallout new Vegas. I had sort of played a character that wanted to know everything but half way through the game I felt like all the characters where treating me weirdly... I think it's because all of the dialogues felt unnatural and kind of like picking from a menu and ordering a reply. I didn't feel that in Fallout 3 since Bethesda understands that their tools aren't that good at creating more than about 5 memorable characters.

Also I was kind of getting sick of my character for being so unresponsive to her dehydration and sleep deprivation.

So I tried to power through too the end and hit the bit where you decide to save/kill a robot/something else and I sort of wondered about it tried different ways to decide witch one my character would do... but the result didn't give me supreme power over everything so I felt cheated.

And then new vegas crashed again, at the beginning of what I guess was the last mission in the main quest because I didn't restart at that point. My immersion was utterly destroyed and I left it at that.

PS: there was this bit with Benny after a speech success when he then *spoiler* tries to kill you (no kidding) but the entire thing felt so much like a bug that I had to check online to see if it was normal... it was and I was not amused.

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
Fallout 3. The terrain was far too bleak. I understand that it's a post-apocalyptic game, but all of the scenery looks exactly the same. And I was continually lost in the caves/basements/whatever (see below).
Also, I can't really think of any that I actually quit off of the top of my head, but games that have dark/confusing corridors that I can't find my way out of usually cause me to quit for at least a few days.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Sadly I only 50 hours of playtime of Skyrim thanks to one audio glitch with NO FREAKING SOLUTION!

Side note: The issue is an audio pop starting after about 15 minutes of playtime (PC)

Here is a picture to catch the attention of scrollers

Saltychipmunk

Jan 17, 2012
Country
USA
assassins creed 1 and 2
1 because the controls were wonky
2 because it was just so damn easy
dues-exe human revolution, the jerky cut-scene character animations oh god they were awful
torchlight, lack of multiplayer meant it was pointless.

zerobudgetgamer

Apr 5, 2011
Dragon Age: Origins, for a couple reasons, really. 1. I hate both of the available Mages in the game (one's a *****, the other's just too old for my tastes), 2. I hate PLAYING as a Mage, for reasons I've never been able to fully justify, and 3. The combat system; I hated the Gambit system in FF12, so seeing it redone in this game just makes it strike three.

Also, Oblivion, for a reason I believe many will support: The Oblivion Gates. Nothing else, just got sick of bumping into a new one 5 minutes after clearing one, or finding three surrounding a town I wanted to do some quests in.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Half Life 2. I got stuck somewhere in Ravenholm and I couldn't figure out where to go next. I ran around for a while but after the second time the enemies respawned I gave up. It was probably some stupidly obvious lever that I just never noticed. I decided I ought to look it up but I never got around to it and I doubt I even have the save file anymore.

Saltychipmunk

Jan 17, 2012
Country
USA
manic_depressive13 said:
Half Life 2. I got stuck somewhere in Ravenholm and I couldn't figure out where to go next. I ran around for a while but after the second time the enemies respawned I gave up. It was probably some stupidly obvious lever that I just never noticed. I decided I ought to look it up but I never got around to it and I doubt I even have the save file anymore.

the level was actually designed so that you use the gravity gun to kill stuff.

also was it the part where you had to crush zombies with cars?

Berenzen

Jul 9, 2011
Fallout 3, I when you learn that you need something to purify the ocean of radioactive material. RADIATION DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT. It's been 200 years, so most of the extremely dangerous radioactive materials will be in very small amount, it's the GODDAMNED OCEAN, dropping every atomic weapon would barely affect the radioactivity of one of the great lakes, let alone the fucking ocean. And it's set on earth, so it's not like Bethesda has the excuse of saying it's in another universe. Not to mention if they wanted to 'purify' the water, all they needed to do was create a proper fucking filter.

God I hated that so much. Companies need to do their goddamned research if they want to set a game on earth.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
saltychipmunk said:
manic_depressive13 said:

the level was actually designed so that you use the gravity gun to kill stuff.

also was it the part where you had to crush zombies with cars?
It was after that. I looked around and there appeared to be a platform above me connected to a sort of conveyor mechanism. I couldn't find the thing that activated it. Like the title says, it was a stupid problem. It was probably one of those situations where you get stuck in a game and when you finally find out where you're meant to go you feel like a dolt because it was right in front of your nose the whole time and you just managed to repeatedly overlook it somehow.

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
I stopped playing LA Noire because I couldn't stand Roy Earle. It's pretty rare for me to quit playing a game because of an annoying or loathsome caharcter, because games usually tend to give you an option of beating the ************ up or have terrible things happen to them. I don't know what happened to Roy because I lost interest in the game as whole. Loss of interest + Characters that make me grind my teeth = No profit.