Games you never found another player of (or even heard of)

ethan22122

Dec 18, 2009
Rascarin said:
Beasts and Bumpkins - from 1997, a PC RTS where you, an exiled medieval lord, slowly build yourself up back to power. It's quite funny, and really difficult. I've never managed to complete it, and the only other person I know that played it is my best friend.
My mum bought that for me when I was around 7, it would always run dodgey on my PC but I liked it.
OT, I've never spoken to anyone else who's played "Binary Domain".

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
Aariana said:
Guardian's Crusade, well...that was by far one of my favourite playstation games. You play a knight who meets a little pink baby monster while out adventuring, and you take it upon yourself to return him to his mom. Sound childish? Yeah, maybe a little. But on the course of your journey, you have a run-in with cannibals, save a town from being taken over by a corrupt mayor, and help to take down a cult that's taking over the world. Not quite as childish as it may seem. Also, the baby monster was frigging cute!
I loved the hell out of that game. But with the advantage of it being my first JRPG so had nothing to compare it to.

The game I've yet to find another escapist that even knows of is Great Greed for the Original Gameboy.
It was a pretty obscure almost pokemon type game gameplay and graphics wise. (No monster collecting just the one main character though)
The weirdest part was they named everything after food

That enemy's name? Ham man.

Moralio

Feb 2, 2012
Yojoo said:
Lords of Magic for PC. It's an RPG/RTS hybrid with a turn-based movement and economy system that switches to a real-time tactical battlefield when combat is initiated. There were eight different "faiths" you could play as, like order, chaos, life, and death, which gave the game a lot of replay-ability.

The only people I know who actually played it were my brother and I.
MoM player represent! It was really brilliant for it's time and it kinda is something that Heroes of Might and Magic was built upon. Shame we never got a sequel.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Roofstone said:
Dog's life for playstation 2.

I've never met another person that is even aware of its existence, which is a shame. Cause it is the best game ever made!
I played it! It has really awful camera that gave me motion sickness.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
The one that really comes to mind is Interstate 76. It's basically a less ridiculous Twisted Metal with heaps of car customization and a campaign with a storyline. The graphics have aged terribly but I had a great time with it when it was the only PC game I had. There's also Urban Assault which was a great combination of RTS and vehicle combat...I think it may have a bit of a cult following but I've never met anyone who's mentioned playing it.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
s69-5 said:
IllumInaTIma said:
I've yet to meet someone who adores Front Mission 3 as I do.
This guy.
I own and have beaten both Front Mission 3 and 4.
Now if only you said FM 1 or 2...

I hate these threads because they remind me just how many games I've played.
At least there are games in this thread that I haven't played.
I've been to some of these threads were I played them all...
I've never played FM4 since i never had PS2. I tried to emulate it countless times, but always failed=(
is FM4 as good as FM3?

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Zydrate said:
I never see anyone for Timesplitters. At least, from 3 onward. 1-2 wasn't very good.

3 and Future Perfect were a big part of my teenage years, though.
There were only ever 3 Timesplitters games. They were also very popular.

OT: One played a nice little indie game called Thomas Was Alone. Really likeable game, never met a single person who's even heard of it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm surprised Pandemic Studios isn't revered the way other tragically shut-down developers are, or even mentioned for that matter. Clover Studios gave us three (excellent, amazing) titles on the PS2 and it's been deified as a developer-saint ever since Capcom shut it down. Pandemic gave us nothing short of amazing games and was shut down by none other than EA... specifically speaking, I'm surprised Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction doesn't get mentioned more often. Amazing, wide open, free roaming sandbox as the PS2 never had (GTA franchise aside). I've seen it mentioned exactly once in here, and only because I brought it up. Same thing with the Destroy All Humans! series. How come they don't come up more often?

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I was going to say Sacrifice, but I actually know a handful of people who played it.

Anybody here know The Tone Rebellion? Also known as Leviathan?
It's a strategy-RPG-sim kind of thing with minor puzzle elements. As a tribe of "floaters" (see an example to your left; my avatar), you have to fight against the evil Leviathan who splintered the world and infested it with its creatures. Along the way, you need to solve ancient mysteries to gain the powers to destroy the Leviathan in the end. You see, while you build up your military, the Leviathan is more than just its armies. Mere weapons won't destroy it.

It's incredibly imaginative and weird. Far from perfect, especially the controls are kind of crappy in a lot of regards, but the graphics (prerendered backgrounds) were absolutely stunning at the time and the story is full of mysticism and fictional spiritualism. Lovely experience, I think I'll play it again soon.

LordMithril

Jul 10, 2010
Shanicus said:
Raptor: Call of the Shadows - fun forward-scrolling DOS game that was kinda like a prelude to modern bullet-hell games. Had some pretty neat graphics (for it's time) and some really sweet music. Despite being made by Apogee, I've met all of 2 people who actually played it back then. Basics of it were you were flying around in a Fighter Jet that could shoot various flavors of missile, bullet and laser, fighting off hordes of smaller ships to blow up a much larger ship at the end of the level.

Grandia II - Nice, fun RPG with some good characters but a completely broken battle system (You can spam ultimate attacks really easily and one character has a 2 minute long paralysis spell that works on all the bosses), but went fairly unnoticed by people. Hell, I didn't even know there was a Grandia I when I picked up II, so it's at least understandable if nobody has ever heard of it before.

[snip]

I remember Jill of the Jungle!
...well, I remember playing it at least, about 8 years ago when my only computer was a Computer that could barely run Windows 95. Can't really remember a lot of the specifics of the game, sadly.
I played the hell out of Raptor back in the day.
My uncle had it on his pc, when I came over I almost killed the keyboard playing it :D
Also Jill of the Jungle and Cosmo.
For Raptor check Good old Games. And pickup Tyrian 2000 to. Same Idear but a lot more guns :D
Also.. Raptor + Monkey code = ownage :D Cows with Twin Azure beams.. ouch.

Grandia 2.. owned it on PC but lost it :( great game though.

For me the games would be:
Tyrian 2K [http://www.gog.com/gamecard/tyrian_2000]: A lot like Raptor but faster and more insane
Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmo%27s_Cosmic_Adventure]: Weird ass Keen like platformer.
Also R.O.T.T. but it seems there is a remake coming so apparently people did play is :p

Pakkie

Apr 4, 2010
Robit, a game I made entirely myself from scratch...
Got about 1000 "hits"

It was pretty unoriginal though, more of a test-game before I failed to complete some bigger, more original games.

...Do I win?

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
Roofstone said:
Dog's life for playstation 2.

I've never met another person that is even aware of its existence, which is a shame. Cause it is the best game ever made!
That was the one where you had to rescue the lassie girl by finding bones and coloured smells right?

Nobody i know has heard of the Dark Cloud series, even though many had a PS2.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Dead_Man said:
Custom Robo for the Gamecube. Friggin' loved that game, and everyone looked at me like I was crazy whenever I mentioned it.
I'm right with you. Loved me some Custom Robo and everyone gave me a queer look every time it came up.

I'm gonna say Mission: Impossible for the Nintendo 64. I've never once heard anyone ever say anything about it. I loved that game.

ShakyFiend

Jun 10, 2009
Luigi's mansion from the Gamecube, scared the shit out of me when I was eleven, to the extent that I literally couldn't finish it, been meaning to go back and confront my childhood fears one of these days, also BALKAN!:

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
A Smooth Criminal said:
DrunkOnEstus said:
I'm the only person I know in person who's played Ikaruga, or any Cave shmup. I've had people personally thank me for having them play Rez with the lights off and trance vibrators, but never anyone who played it before they met me.
I actually completed the first stage of Ikaruga without switching polarities. Well... It was more that I didn't know that you could change polarities until after I beat the first stage.
Impressive! Probably not from a score standpoint, but surviving the times that the screen practically fills with red. It's a puzzle game at first, then once you know the "keys" it turns into an orchestrated dance if you're going for score and chains. This isn't me (I wish it was), but for your viewing pleasure. 1 man, both ships!

And that soundtrack! Mmmm.

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
Mr Cwtchy said:
Wondering if anyone has had to sit through the ten minutes of crappy dialogue, then the ensuing completely unexplained, shitty gameplay that is Robot Warlords:

For the sake of humanity I sincerely hope not.
Yep, I did as a younger me, found it reasonably enjoyable for what it was.

edit:

mine would probably be DOS games. Hello mummy and the original dos version of prince of persia spring to mind.

leeprice133

Sep 25, 2011
Zydrate said:
I never see anyone for Timesplitters. At least, from 3 onward. 1-2 wasn't very good.

3 and Future Perfect were a big part of my teenage years, though.
Say whaaaat? Timesplitters 2 was AWESOME!