Games you wished you liked

hooglese

Feb 14, 2011
I'm talking about games that when you were playing you thought to your self "this is so awesome I don't how I could hate this" but for any reason, you just stopped playing the games.

Some of these games for me were
Bioshock
Dishonored
Warframe
Xcom Enemy Unknown
Psychonaughts
Dead Space.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Skyrim.

I really feel like I'm missing out because it looks amazing and other people have so much fun with it but I bought it on release day and just couldn't get into it.
I tried for a couple of weeks but unfortunately that type of game just doesn't draw me in.

Boo-urns.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
World of Tanks

I really wanted to like it, it doesn't seem like a bad game at all, but the horrible matchmaking (hey, we're just gonna throw your glass-cannoned ass into a match consisting of higher-tier tanks you can barely even hurt. Ok?) and a few other things just put me off too much.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Colour Scientist said:
Skyrim.

I really feel like I'm missing out because it looks amazing and other people have so much fun with it but I bought it on release day and just couldn't get into it.
I tried for a couple of weeks but unfortunately that type of game just doesn't draw me in.

Boo-urns.
I had similar issues with Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3. It wasn't until I made a decision to stop fast traveling and play the games like RP sandboxes that something clicked over in my head and they became some of my favorite games of all time, instead of curious disappointments.

Not saying that would work for you, and some people view not fast traveling as the rankest of insanity, but it sure worked for me.

OT: I can't think of anything off hand. There are precious few games that I can't merit in, and the real stinkers I'm usually aware of well in advance and simply don't touch them.

In all honesty I find the volume of complaining about decent-strong games on this forum and others baffling. I don't know if it's a lack of perspective, or people just hard wired to be cranky, or what. There's a world of difference between a solid but disappointing title like, say, DA2, and a truly broken game.

Not Gabe Newell

Jul 14, 2013
Probably Mafia II.

It's sad. I've always wanted a neat next-gen game about the mafia, but Mafia II always comes up short.

-Its cars are neat but its driving mechanics are horrible, and the roads are so narrow it doesn't even matter
-Its story is great, but it's too damn short and streamlined
-Its clothes are fashionable, but there's no real reason to buy the fancy suits as you only stay a Mafia member for like two missions
-Its guns are amazing but the shooting mechanics are so stiff and unresponsive

Top all that off with the fact that half of the content was cut to resell later as DLC and you have a game I really wish I could have enjoyed.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Dishonored - I actually liked it, but I wanted to like it a lot more. The setting was really cool.

Witcher 2 - It did a really good job with the story choices. I just wish I could give the slightest vestige of a shit about said story. Annnnd I've bitched about this enough elsewhere. Except now the next one is coming out... I guess this is how members of the Call of Duty hate brigade feel every year when reviewers are creaming themselves over the latest entry.

Bethesda games - I have this weird thing with them. I enjoy them to begin with, play them for quite a while, then it's like someone flips a switch and just like that I can't stand the sight of them. It usually happens when I can't build my character any more and I suddenly realise that there's actually nothing to do besides clear dungeons.

Shadowrun Returns - "A cyberpunk RPG? Sign me the hell up! And... and the combat is like XCOM: Enemy Unknown! I am in paradise! This is... this is... hang on, this is like playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown: Shit Edition. Dear God, what have they done?! NOOOOoooo[sub]ooo[sub]ooo[/sub][/sub]"

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Zhukov said:
... hang on, this is like playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown: Shit Edition. Dear God, what have they done?! NOOOOoooo[sub]ooo[sub]ooo[/sub][/sub]"
I genuinely loled.

I enjoyed Shadowrun Returns well enough (always a sucker for that turn based combat) but this is such an accurate descriptor of it I cannot help but be amused.

Another

Mar 19, 2008
Monster Hunter :(

I tried to get into both Unite on the PSP and 3 Ultimate on the 3DS, but I just couldn't do it.

On paper it sounded awesome! It takes skill!, craft your weapons!, fight giant monsters! But, I couldn't stand the PSP camera. The 3DS camera was fine, but that's when I discovered that it take ages to be able to kill anything fun. Maybe if I was in high school again and had time on my hands, but between a job and having doing an engineering degree, I just don't have the time.

Nonomori

Nov 20, 2012
Games with good writing but disappointing gameplay, especially Psychonauts and Planescape: Torment. I can't force myself to play, but there is something to admire.

SilkySkyKitten

Oct 20, 2009
Far Cry 3

I'm one of those weirdos who absolutely adored Far Cry 2, so FC3 appeared to be more of the same with all the annoyances fixed. Seemed like the perfect game for me then, right? Well...
As much as people complained about FC2 being boring and repetitive, I found FC3 to be even worse. Because when it all is boiled down to "do jumping puzzle at a radio tower, clear out guard post after guard post, maybe do some little story mission here and there". The environment itself was really boring too, as it was just one big series of tropical islands with... no real variety in them. In FC2, you had all sorts of neat environments. Deserts, wide open grasslands, thick jungles, shanty towns, industrial complexes, massive lakes, winding rivers. In FC3 it's basically tropical island, tropical island, tropical island... that's it. No real variety to it.
And don't get me started on the main character, ugh. I know they put him and his friends in there to be "relatable", but all of them just seemed like annoying whiny rich douche-bros whom I couldn't relate with at all. And the main character just wouldn't shut up too, which made it worse and really ruined my immersion.
Now, I will admit, Vaas was a pretty creepy and well written villain. Probably one of the better villains I can think of in recent gaming history, but... he was really the only major highlight in a game that had too many annoyances for me to enjoy it.

Which is a shame, since in theory I should have loved Far Cry 3 and I tried to love it too. Instead, I was just disappointed by it. I don't hate it, I just don't think it was as good as it could have been or as good as a lot of people made it out to be.

[small]Now Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, on the other hand... that was a fucking amazing game.[/small]

Thebazilly

Jul 7, 2010
Austin Howe said:
Final Fantasy X or Final Fantasy XII, I feel like the only guy I know who doesn't like them.
Lots of people didn't like Final Fantasy XII. I thought the battle system was weird and too automatic. (There were literally grinding guides that told you how to set up your gambits and leave the game to sit and play itself overnight.)

I wish I could like Psychonauts more. The writing was awesome, but I just couldn't stand the gameplay. It doesn't help that I'm not really a platforming fan in the first place and there's a lot of platforming in it.

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
Torchlight (both 1 and 2). I played the shit out of diablo 2, and even enjoy diablo 3, but I just can't get into torchlight for the life of me. I don't know what it is. I want to enjoy them but.... no dice.

Ace Morologist

Apr 25, 2013
* Fable 3 -- tried to fix too many things that weren't broken. Also, black dye as DLC.

* Saints Row 2 -- After seeing the Zero Punctuation review of SR2 and SR3, I just naturally assumed that 2 was even better than 3 (which I already love). It was not.

* Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons -- A beautiful game with a neat, innovative gameplay mechanic set in an ever-so-slightly demented world. A grown-up's Fable... I -thought-. Until the third-act twist. I was enjoying you right up until that point, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. Why would you do that? What made that seem like a good idea? I assure you it was not.

--Morology!

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
I wish I liked League of Legends because so many of my friends play it. There's not really many games all of my friends unanimously like, so it'd be nice if I could have fun with the one game that fits the criteria.
I used to be able to, but it's like one day I just realised how much of the game I didn't actually enjoy. In fact, about all I was left with enjoying was playing Sona.

I haven't played frequently for about 3 months now, so I'm hoping a long enough break from the game will let me enjoy it again.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Zhukov said:
Bethesda games - I have this weird thing with them. I enjoy them to begin with, play them for quite a while, then it's like someone flips a switch and just like that I can't stand the sight of them. It usually happens when I can't build my character any more and I suddenly realise that there's actually nothing to do besides clear dungeons.
For me, that's mostly just Skyrim. I loved Skyrim at first, even got the platinum trophy for it, but suddenly I realized how shallow and awful that game really is. Sometimes I play it just to enjoy the world, but I don't put much time in it anymore.

Others of note:
- Bioshock. Didn't like the setting much. Maybe I shouldn't have bought that at the same time as Fallout 3, speaking of which:
- Fallout New Vegas. It didn't have the right atmosphere that Fallout 3 had. I'm replaying it again now to give it another chance. I know how much stuff that game has and by all rights I should like it like I liked Fallout 3, but it just doesn't work that way it seems.
- The older Final Fantasy games (before X). Never got into them. I love X and XII, and even like XIII, but the older ones never interested me. Maybe it's the older graphics. I really wish I could enjoy them.
- Bayonetta. Sometimes I really enoy spectacle fighters (even though I'm awful at them), but I can't understand why I loved the Devil May Cry and God of War series, while I couldn't be bothered to finish Bayonetta.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Just like it always is with these threads, The Witcher.

I should have loved this game. It's a PC-focused single-player RPG with an emphasis on story and character, with admirable depth of mechanics and a great deal of content. It's the sort of game that hardly ever gets made any more outside of Kickstarter. And it handles player choice extremely well, even if what you chose didn't matter all that much come the endgame.

Unfortunately, the story and characters are boring and unlikeable respectively; the content comes at the price of a ridiculous amount of back-and-forth busywork that you need to do to get anything done; and as much depth as there was to the levelling up, I never really felt like the perks and feats I chose made that much of a difference to how I played the game. Also, there was that stupid bloody child, Alvin, that you need to babysit in Chapter 4. I hated him so much.

Great potential, poorly executed. I keep being told that I should try the sequel, but I just don't have any interest in that world. It's dull, the inhabitants are all jerks, and I frankly don't care what happens to it.

Zhukov said:
Witcher 2 - It did a really good job with the story choices. I just wish I could give the slightest vestige of a shit about said story.
I feel your pain, assuming your pain applies to the first one as well. I think my biggest problem with the first one was that there's lots of interesting stuff going on around the story - the political shenanigans and the business with the Scoi'atel - but the actual plot is you going after a box of poorly-explained MacGuffins because of reasons. Snore.

takemeouttotheblack

Apr 4, 2013
GTA IV. I heard great things about it, that was wonderful and deep and in depth and different, played it for a bit and just felt as if the game was trying to suck all the fun out of my play. Looked great, but every car handled like a shopping trolley, combat was pretty damn impossible, the mission system was very dull and I hated all of the characters.

Thankfully, Saints Row 2 came along, and now with IV coming out, I'm not in the least bit bothered about GTA.

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
BioShock and PlaneScape: Torment. While they look like games with really interesting settings I just didn't find actually playing them all that fun.
Also Deus Ex: HR.

Generally I don't really like the traditional way games are set up; being railroaded from one challenge to another. I find that I spend far more time playing more open-world games that let me explore and do the challenges in my own time.