Games you wished you liked

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
Shin Megami Tensei(in general). I love the persona games and I've tried Nocturne, DDS and may give SMT 4 a try, but damn if I don't want human(oid) party members. Recruiting demons is cool and all, but I'd rather they be in use by human party members. I think it's hilarious to have Mara in my party, but I don't want his boner-chariot-with-tentacles parked next to me on the battlefield .

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Dishonored is a big one. I love everything about it, the style, the powers, the gameplay, but I'm only on the second real mission. On the first mission I spent about 2 hours carefully sneaking around and eliminating enemies one by one and it was a blast, but then I made one stupid tiny mistake and got seen, couldn't lose my persuers, and haphazardly slashed through the remaining third of the level like it was nothing and that cheapened all the fun I just had trying to be careful.

Also the witcher 2. I feel like it's a really petty reason but if a game expects me to roleplay a character to the degree where I choose everything they say or do and am supposed to want to invest hundreds or hours into them, not having at least some kind of customization options seems like a much bigger misstep than it probably is. That white ponytail feels like a constant reminder that I am not this character exploring and living in this world and I think that detracts a lot of the appeal I find in RPGs. I'm sure if I forced myself to play a few hours of it I'd get into it, but I don't feel compelled to and I have other things I feel much more compelled to play.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Oblivion and in turn Skyrim and possibly Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

I feel like I'm missing out on some really great set of games that I could really enjoy and get a lot out of.

Not liking it frees up a lot of my time though, for good or ill.

Alssadar

Sep 19, 2010
Civilization: I find it too slow of a game, as fighting takes forever, and seizing cities costs too much for the long run, so I always Science and Diplomacy my way through any conflict for some AI to randomly win, although they've been fighting 4 wars and lost plenty of them.
I tried to replay it today, and, after the 2.5 hours of 330 turns, I lost to Gandhi. Ragequit uninstall. It's one thing to be able to win by using tech and cultural dominance: it's another to just arbitrarily be decided (I know there's an option, but, c'mon, I wasted 2.5 hours)

Company of Heroes: It's like Dawn of War 2, only played as Imperial Guard without any fun units that add differentiation or a unit card to make sure you don't lose your unit that dies under three seconds of fire.

Empire:Total War: It's just lines of infantry shooting at each other whilst cavalry die and cannons just bomb shit. There's little tactical variation and battles aren't interesting

Serious Sam: You're just shooting the same groups of enemies with different guns. I know it's supposed to be a throwback, but a flimsy plot and having to rely on backwards motion doesn't keep me interested.

Pokemon & Final Fantasies: It's just turn-based combat that I don't like. Too slow and uninteresting

Castle Story: I know it's still in alpha, but I've become less interested with its building mechanics as I've toyed around with it. I hope it'll improve as I learn more about it as the game develops.

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
Thebazilly said:
Austin Howe said:
Final Fantasy X or Final Fantasy XII, I feel like the only guy I know who doesn't like them.
Lots of people didn't like Final Fantasy XII. I thought the battle system was weird and too automatic. (There were literally grinding guides that told you how to set up your gambits and leave the game to sit and play itself overnight.)
And therein we have the gameplay reason I hated it. It was also poorly written and had a garbage soundtrack.

Bagged Milk

Jan 5, 2011
Fallout 3. I just cannot get into it. I played it for about 3 hours before putting it down, I picked up the first fallout when GOG had it for free and I played it for a bit before being confused about how to fight and giving up. then I just got fallout 2 from the summer sale and I am completely engrossed. it is wonderful. I don't know what it is about it but as soon as I got out of the tutorial dungeon, I just loved every second.

Also, sorta, but not really, but, skyrim. I loved it when it first came out, beat the entire main campaign by the second day and had about 35 hours put in within 48 hours of it being released. played it a bit more, and now it just sorta sits there. I only have about 62 hours in it.

And Dota 2. I see it being played and it looks like a blast. It's deep and neat and everything, but I just cannot learn everything i need to know to play it. I've gotta learn every skill on every hero and what every item does to every hero and I just cannot.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Not Gabe Newell said:
Probably Mafia II.

It's sad. I've always wanted a neat next-gen game about the mafia, but Mafia II always comes up short.

-Its cars are neat but its driving mechanics are horrible, and the roads are so narrow it doesn't even matter
-Its story is great, but it's too damn short and streamlined
-Its clothes are fashionable, but there's no real reason to buy the fancy suits as you only stay a Mafia member for like two missions
-Its guns are amazing but the shooting mechanics are so stiff and unresponsive

Top all that off with the fact that half of the content was cut to resell later as DLC and you have a game I really wish I could have enjoyed.
Yeah, Mafia II was a huge fucking letdown. I played the demo and enjoyed it, and later bought the full game, big mistake.

Cretgren said:
STALKER series. I get motion sickness from the head-bob.
BloatedGuppy said:
Cretgren said:
STALKER series. I get motion sickness from the head-bob.
You can mod/edit that out. It was one of the very first things I did. That head bob is intolerable.
Huh, I never thought that the head bob was that noticeable. But kudos for the mod community to make the game better for others.

Some mods actually increase the head bob.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
1st/3rd person shooters in general, but to be more specific
Bioshock series
Mass effect series
Fallout series

Sadly enough I don't have great aim, so thanks to that I get to miss out of some famous series. Oh well.

Estarc

Sep 23, 2008
I can't say I've ever had this feeling. There have been games that did not appeal to me as much as others, such as Dishonored, Rage and the Batman Arkham games, but I'd rather find a game that really appeals to me than have my tastes in games altered.

Have I ever, on the other hand, wished a game I wanted to like and had expected to like didn't suck so hard? Oh yes.

Mister K

This is our story.
Apr 25, 2011
webepoop said:
And Dota 2. I see it being played and it looks like a blast. It's deep and neat and everything, but I just cannot learn everything i need to know to play it. I've gotta learn every skill on every hero and what every item does to every hero and I just cannot.
But... You don't have to! If you like the game itself, then find 2 or 3 characters of each group (STR, AGI and INT, 6-9 heroes in total) that you like and stick to them in All-pick mode.

OT: I usually buy games that I actually like. But 2 times I've jumped on a hype-wagon and those are Skyrim and The Last of Us.

The former is just boring. Enchanting is nice and it had a few good moments, but overall lack of good (quality-wise) characters and story, plus the fact that you have to max out everything, not a selection of skills, to max out your level.

The latter felt like an oscar-bate movie: characters, that you are supposed to either like or hate, but you actually don't fell anything towards them. And I also think it's just a result of The walking dead success. "A game set in zombie post apocalypse, where a grown man is taking care of an underage girl is successful. Lets make our own game like this, but with guns and NOT zombies".

The only reason I want to like them is to justify spending precious money on them.

Zombie Badger

Dec 4, 2007
I really want to like LA Noire a lot more than I do, because on the surface it seems like exactly my kind of game, being mainly based around the story and detective work where you have to look for clues and interrogate people. Unfortunatly the writing is merely ok, the protagonist is completely flat and played by one of the most wooden actors I've seen in years, and there really isn't much to the detective work and the interrogations.