Games you wished you liked

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Colour Scientist said:
Skyrim.

I really feel like I'm missing out because it looks amazing and other people have so much fun with it but I bought it on release day and just couldn't get into it.
I tried for a couple of weeks but unfortunately that type of game just doesn't draw me in.

Boo-urns.
I found it boring, I wish I did not. Also I wish I liked brawlers more so I could enjoy the games behind the GFWL batmen series.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Another said:
Monster Hunter :(

I tried to get into both Unite on the PSP and 3 Ultimate on the 3DS, but I just couldn't do it.

On paper it sounded awesome! It takes skill!, craft your weapons!, fight giant monsters! But, I couldn't stand the PSP camera. The 3DS camera was fine, but that's when I discovered that it take ages to be able to kill anything fun. Maybe if I was in high school again and had time on my hands, but between a job and having doing an engineering degree, I just don't have the time.
I'm with you on this one. I like the idea of the game, I like the designs of the monsters, I even love how delightfully "Japanese" it all feels despite not being much of a fan of eastern games/anime/entertainment products.

But despite all of that, I just could not find joy in Monster Hunter. I'm determined to try again at some point in the name of giving it a fair chance though. Maybe some day I'll get a WiiU. I hear that had a really good version of the Monster Hunter game on it.

Cretgren

Mar 26, 2009
Like some others have said, Bethesda games such as Fallout 3 and Morrowind. For some reason, I managed to like Oblivion and Skyrim, though.

Grand strategy, like the recently-released Europa Universalis IV. They seem so interesting, but I just can't get into them. Total War is the closest I get, and I'm horrible at them.

STALKER series. I get motion sickness from the head-bob.

Any well-received indie game. As unpopular of an opinion as this is (and as much trouble as I have coming up with a reason why), I just don't like indie games very much. Kentucky Route Zero has my interest piqued, however.

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
Borderlands and skyrim.
My friends seem to really enjoy them, but I can't be bothered about them.

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
Pokémon. After the first few gyms, I've usually caught all the monsters I want, so I don't really wanna go any further. I guess because I just don't have that 'will to win.' To me, the game isn't about the trainer, it's about their pokémon.

geezah91

Feb 17, 2010
Oblivion and Skyrim.

I've tried giving Oblivion so many chances but the silly facial expressions mini game just ruined what little immersion was left for me. They both simply bore me.

Another

Mar 19, 2008
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Another said:
Monster Hunter :(

I tried to get into both Unite on the PSP and 3 Ultimate on the 3DS, but I just couldn't do it.

On paper it sounded awesome! It takes skill!, craft your weapons!, fight giant monsters! But, I couldn't stand the PSP camera. The 3DS camera was fine, but that's when I discovered that it take ages to be able to kill anything fun. Maybe if I was in high school again and had time on my hands, but between a job and having doing an engineering degree, I just don't have the time.
I'm with you on this one. I like the idea of the game, I like the designs of the monsters, I even love how delightfully "Japanese" it all feels despite not being much of a fan of eastern games/anime/entertainment products.

But despite all of that, I just could not find joy in Monster Hunter. I'm determined to try again at some point in the name of giving it a fair chance though. Maybe some day I'll get a WiiU. I hear that had a really good version of the Monster Hunter game on it.
The one you are talking about is MH 3 Ultimate. Same one I had on the 3DS, except better controls and graphics. Even on the 3DS it is clear that it's not a bad game. I just lack time. But I'd say if you plan to get a Wii U anyway, give it a shot. Just be prepared to drop a hefty amount of time into it.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
The Mass Effect games.
It has everything I could want, the sci-fi genre, a good story with a deep backstory, good combat, but I don't know, it feels like there's something I'm not getting about them.

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
Daggerfall and Morrowind.

Daggerfall is just unwieldy to someone who didn't "properly" get into gaming until 2009 (Dragon Age: Origins). The only things I had before that was the Unreal Gold game, and a few point-and-click puzzle type game... things. Egyptian Prophecy, Sacred Amulet. Those sorts of things. Although I find it funny that there's fast-travelling in it (and I don't even have to have BEEN there to fast travel to it) and that's one of the main whining points for "classic" fans of the series about Oblivion and Skyrim. It's kind of necessary in Daggerfall though, you can't tell where you're going...

Morrowind's RNG type combat just kills it, and it's a HUGE game so the inability to just quickly go to whichever city/whatever I want gets very tiresome very fast. "But u can fast travel u just need to take the boats or the silt striders111!11!" people say. I STILL HAVE TO WALK HALF THE MAP TO GET TO ONE GUYS.

I guess the point is that I'm lazy and can only take in so much pretty scenery before I get bored.
I won't apologise I like what I like and no one can blame me for that.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Metal Gear Solid, I like Metal Gear and all, but the gameplay and look is just atrocious. I can deal with graphics that don't agree well with me, but when the gameplay is so unintuitive like the original MGS, it cannot work out. I legitimately can't have any fun with it no matter how much I want to.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Pokemon - It's just redundant and unnecessarily competitive. I mean.... I liked Pokemon Snap and even the much-maligned Pokemon Channel because hey, at least it wasn't all about Pokemon beating the crap out of OTHER Pokemon. I DO understand why people LIKE Pokemon and I sorely with I could relate to my friends by having the bragging rights to all the amazing virtual accomplishments I've achieved and what sort of natural occurrence I threw out of balance by capturing that one really rare one that controlled the weather, but alas.

Also Bethesda Games in general - As someone else said, I start out REALLY invested in them, but they get REAL old REAL fast and I become irritated when people keep talking about their amazing characters and what they did.

For some odd reason (Especially being the Silent Hill fan that I am) I could never get into Resident Evil. I'm not talkin' about the new ones that may or may not suck depending on the interpretation, but I mean the original four. Especially 4. And I've wanted to become invested in them SO bad - especially because a friend of mine loves them to death and it bothers me that I can't enjoy a game that he loves as much as I SHOULD (again, especially being a huge Silent Hill fan) but I think if I don't enjoy them now, I probably won't ever get a feel for them

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008

Played it (the original) about a month ago. Awful. Completely ruined by modern UI's spoiling us. I had people over. Four controllers slapped into the N64 and everything. We were going to make an evening of it. Nope.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Cretgren said:
STALKER series. I get motion sickness from the head-bob.
You can mod/edit that out. It was one of the very first things I did. That head bob is intolerable.

Nadia Castle

May 21, 2012
Halo, I seriously want to see this rich, character driven universe that stuffed with imagination everybody tells me about, but all I can see is lazy cliches piled on top of each other. Same with Killzone. Both have perfectly fine game pay but design wise their about as lazy as can be.

Also Final Fantasy, either there is more appeal in DVD selection menus than I realize or I'm just missing something.....

maconlon439

Nov 16, 2011
I wished I could have liked the new remake of Leisure Suit Larry, since I love Sierra adventure games and want to support the revitalization of old Sierra series, but the original game was mediocre, and the new changes didn't help that much.

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
Just Cause 2. I'm sure I'd like it if the protagonist wasn't such a **** and the controls didn't make me want to bash my own skull in due to frustration

Eve Charm

Aug 10, 2011
Playstation all stars, This should have been better >.>

Borderlands and other type of loot grindy games that I hate cause of hacked weapons and duping.

attackshark

Nov 16, 2010
couldn't get into Dishonored one bit, which was a complete let down. i had been looking forward to it for months, and when i finally bought it over the summer sale i was like, "yeah, bitches! this shit is on!"

i got bored after about 45 minutes. i was completely disappointed.

if i had to guess, i would think that, for me, it's because they didn't blend the action and stealth well. it can obviously be done correct, per Assassin's Creed franchise, but Dishonored felt like it was expecting you to jump in rambo style, and then it docked a fair amount of points for not being stealthy. i just couldn't handle being judged like that, especially when i'm keen on a stealth approach. i will concede that maybe i didn't play the game right, but if a dev gives you two clear cut ways to play a game and then dotes on you for playing not the way they wanted to to play, i feel like i'm being bullied.

i also have issues with first person games. first person stealth? fuck you.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
Car games.

They are all the same (excluding Mario kart) and there are loads of them. Think of the hours of fun I could have.... all I need to do is buy a few and get that lobotomy booked.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
FreelanceButler said:
I wish I liked League of Legends because so many of my friends play it. There's not really many games all of my friends unanimously like, so it'd be nice if I could have fun with the one game that fits the criteria.
I used to be able to, but it's like one day I just realised how much of the game I didn't actually enjoy. In fact, about all I was left with enjoying was playing Sona.

I haven't played frequently for about 3 months now, so I'm hoping a long enough break from the game will let me enjoy it again.
It's worse when you're dating someone addicted to it and she won't take, "I don't want to abuse my mouse with that much clicking" for an answer.

OT: Basically all of the modern military shooters, even Spec Ops (and I really wanted to like Apocalypse Now the game), and...Ocarina of Time. It's not that it's a bad game, definitely great for 1998 and fairly entertaining, but the whole greatest of all time thing doesn't cut it for me. I wouldn't even call it the best Zelda game, top five at best really. The best thing I can really say about Ocarina of Time is that it served as the basis of the vastly improved Majora's Mask.

[small]Then again the two games I play the most right now are Minecraft and Papers, Please so I might just be insane..[/small]