Gamestation Defends "Sexist" Ad

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
So wait, are they saying that isn't cheaper then your girlfriend? I find that hard to believe.

I give them props for standing up for their decision. Ya some people won't like it but boo-hoo too bad. Also, the advertisement seems very well aimed for the Blops demographic.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
So what? Gamestation makes jokes at the expense of lots of people, not just girlfriends. You could also claim it was homophobic by ignoring gay men.

Honestly, I find Gamestation's advertisements quite funny and appealing.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"It is pretty openly sexist - girls being cheap, obviously, but it's also pandering to the old stereotype that gamers are guys," she continued. "And of course any discrimination is banned by Game's own employee regulations, so I don't see why the company itself should be able to get away with it."

I don't think she got it...it's not saying girls are cheap it's saying that girls are expensive...no wonder she is pissed off she's stupid and overly sensitive. People like this screw up the world because they go out of their way to be offended.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
***** please. Beside the fact girls can have girlfriends, would she be upset at an ad that says "cheaper than your boyfriend"? Didn't think so.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I saw this ad today while I was in Gamestation, have to say it make me chuckle a little.

But I took it to mean that buying the game is cheaper than taking your girlfriend out... nothing derogatory at all. In fact my girlfriend would rather I bought the game (Not Call of Duty, I hasten to add) and we'd play it together so... no harm no foul eh?

Andy Chalk said:
Chicks, eh?
Touché!

Sorafrosty

Nov 19, 2009
While I do not think this is sexist, translated this would not be sexist at all in my language, as the word for girlfriend/boyfriend is the same. Would that solve it and make everyone happy; finding a word that is neutral, so it for read "Cheaper than your..." ?

Hoopybees

Jun 22, 2010
Uff. I can see why the girl's annoyed but it's practically a 'your momma' joke, I assume it's meant ironically. As long as their whole campaign isn't hanging off of similar jibes I think it's probably okay.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Oh Gamestation.. how i hate you.

Im suprised in all honesty, its unlike us Brits to take offence to anything.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
It's not sexist. It doesnt imply that women are cheap. Talk about missing the point OP. It means that women are expensive and the game is cheap. *Facepalms*

IronicBeet

Jun 27, 2009
Right, and there's never any ads that show women being smarter/more competent than men, right? Sexism is a one-way street, everybody knows that!

Of course, I don't mean to imply that my sarcasm says that I'm offended by the opposite happening. I don't get offended by man/woman bashing because I'm not a little baby-man.

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
Almost as appreciated as the XXXL men's t-shirt and Axe cologne freebies that came with my Gears of War 2 pre-order. It's not that the statement itself is offensive, and I'm used to my demographic not being so much as an afterthought in the marketing of FPSs, but it's kind of disappointing nonetheless.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
I hate Gamestation. I always shop at GAME, despite the fact that it's all the same company, simply because it always seems like, no matter where in the UK I go, the employees at Gamestation are cocky twats. Seems like their marketing team are also cocky twats

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
Yeah, I could see her getting offended if it said something more like... "Even your girlfriend isn't this cheap."