Gamestation Defends "Sexist" Ad

IronicBeet

Jun 27, 2009
Sorafrosty said:
While I do not think this is sexist, translated this would not be sexist at all in my language, as the word for girlfriend/boyfriend is the same. Would that solve it and make everyone happy; finding a word that is neutral, so it for read "Cheaper than your..." ?
"Cheaper than your significant other/life partner."

Less fun, but maybe it would stop people from crapping their pants about it.

Oct 30, 2010
The problem isn't whether women are cheap or expensive, it's that women have a price at all. (or men)

It really hinges on how one views dating relationships. If everything is about having a permanent partnership, then implying a person can be bought is somewhat offensive. But if a relationship is about having a good time, then clearly price is important.

Personally, I'll give the store the benefit of the doubt that they intended the second interpretation.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
I feel like it wasn't calling women cheap, but making a joke about how much it costs to take your girlfriend on dates and such.
Oh well, I suppose it does still sound bad and they could have thought that one through a little better.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
thedeathscythe said:
She doesn't even understand the ad, it's not saying girls are cheap, it's saying they're expensive, and buying that game at that price is less expensive than your girlfriend. So she just fulfilled another stereotype in my own eyes.
I don't think that's what really bothered her. Her main complaint seems to be how the ad can only apply to people who can have girlfriends (non-heterosexual females). Still, ever since the explosion of the casual gaming market, I've gotten used to seeing ads that weren't meant for me, so I think she's overreacting a bit.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
I dunno, for £45 you could get a meal for two at a reasonable restaurant and a movie. Hell, if you don't spend too much on food you could get those fancy seats too! That way, if the film is crap - and most of them are these days - you've at least had a comfortable seat. There's nothing worse than having to sit through a terrible movie on a terrible seat to get the most of out of your money... actually, you're probably best forgetting the movie altogether... what else can you do for £10-£20? Ice Skating? That's a date thing, right? Bowling? Lasertag? Another meal? A reasonably expensive bottle of wine? A few drinks down the pub?

But I digress - Sexist, yes. But also and perpetuating the stereotype gamers are all lonely pasty teenagers and also kind of false advertising too. No wonder I've never brought anything at Gamestation... (though that could also be because there isn't one where I live)

(Yeah, I know it says £30 on the poster, but let's face it, it's going to cost you £45 unless you jump through a few hoops first... but I've ranted before about how these games are overpriced...)

(Captcha - Hothr together - Inglip knows the truth too!)

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
*rolls eyes* the majority of gamers are males.
the advertisement wasn't calling girls cheap it was calling your girlfriend expensive.
the PC monster strikes again *political correctness*

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
I feel bad because I actually laughed with the ad. I mean I still won't buy the game, but it's still funny.

Sorafrosty

Nov 19, 2009
IronicBeet said:
Sorafrosty said:
While I do not think this is sexist, translated this would not be sexist at all in my language, as the word for girlfriend/boyfriend is the same. Would that solve it and make everyone happy; finding a word that is neutral, so it for read "Cheaper than your..." ?
"Cheaper than your significant other/life partner."

Less fun, but maybe it would stop people from crapping their pants about it.
You're quite right:) Less fun, yes, but it would stop a few people getting angry... then again, could we achieve the same amusement by writing "Cheaper than your ex"? I mean, a different slogan, sure, but it in the same group, in a way...

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Stupid idea in the first place, how did they think people would react?

It wasn't necessary at all and it's very sad that they somehow see something like that as a selling point.

Plus the centre of the discs are way too tight...

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
That's not really sexist though, is it?
It's just insulting!

And given that it's a public ad, that also makes it really quite funny, especially since it's not really aimed AT anybody.

So...yeah, on this rare occasion I find in favour of the company. Crude, silly, but not really offensive. Next case.

deus-ex-machina

Jan 22, 2010
Really, would half of you noticed if this thread wasn't here? I've walked into Gamestation countless times and seen the adverts and thought 'meh, irrelevant to me - wrong console' or 'uh, still too expensive' - I have a fiancee and I found this pretty funny. I didn't take offense. Unless your girlfriend was strapped to your arm as you walked in and you made the error of saying 'that IS cheap', I don't see the problem to any guy or girl thinking 'Hmm, that's a good price!' because in all honesty, until I tried to figure out what the thread was about, all I saw was the price and the game.

Libya? Japan? Gamestation.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
For. Fuck. Sake.

The ad doesn't say a girlfriend is cheap, it says she's worth/upkeep costs, at the absolute least, more than £29.99; which is fucking true. It implies having a girlfriend is expensive, an understatement if ever there was one. Any girlfriend with a brain would look at that and think, "I would bloody hope so!"

The complainer also ignores lesbians.

The only leg she's got is that as a hetero female (or a hypothetical gay male) she isn't the target of the ad. Well boo fucking hoo, I'm not the target of ads for things I buy and couldn't give a hoot. I don't even care about the ads I am a target of, unless they make me laugh of course. Then I care enough to laugh. Then I piss off.

That last was a lie actually; I do care if I am the target audience but am implied to be a complete and utter twat, vis-a-vis EA's your mum will hate this.

Generally, ads that you ostensibly are the target of are more offensive than those that miss you out.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
I laughed openly. I laughed and I laughed until i could laugh no more.

Its not sexist at all. Its true. Women are expensive, more expensive than $35 (give or take, did a quick conversion in my head, seems close enough) I can see where someone could think that its implying that girls are cheap, but thats not what its implying at all.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Move over, EA, your bad advertising department has a contender.

Nice to see people ***** about so called 'political correctness' though.
The actual term is 'Not being a dick'.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
if they are advertising to their typical demographic, why would they have ANY experience with having a girlfriend?

Bazinga

Mr. Eff_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2009
Oh, come off it.

Firstly, it's saying that women are expensive to please. It's not saying they're cheap.

Secondly, it's a joke. It's an advertising campaign. It was meant to be humorous, not hurt anyone. Some people really need to take a step back and wonder if what they're complaining about is really worth it.