GameStop Employee Gives RapeLay Interview, Gets Fired

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
buy teh haloz said:
Admitting to piracy when you work at Gamestop. Nice move, YOU FUCKING JACKASS!
How exactly did he admit to piracy, brah?

He never said that he pirated the game. All he said is that yes, it's incredibly easy to pirate anything, and you have to be living under a stone not to realize it. And that's an absolutely correct factual statement to make.

By your logic, me knowing what various illegal drugs look like and how people use them, all from the internet or even wikipedia alone, is somehow equal to me admitting to using said drugs?

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I maintain if the Globe had any morals at all, they'd have gone with 'a member of Gamestop staff said...' or something to that effect, instead of 'this guy's name, so the bosses can fire him, said...'.

I know if I lived in that area and the Globe asked me for a snappy soundbite I'd be all 'screw you guys, I like having a job.' Of course, the guy in question probably should have considered before speaking, but he's just a regular guy, he doesn't have an army of spin doctors around him, and when you consider the amount of crap politicians manage to say, even with advisors surrounding them, I guess it's easy to say the wrong thing.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
He gave an interview and told the truth. The simple fact is that too many people know about torrents for that to be any kind of news or instruction at all. From where I'm standing it sounds like he got fired just for using his right to free speech in order to get honest with the public about Rapelay and piracy.

'Course, GS can do what they want with their employees. Because apparently despite all their flagrant labor violations, nobody has had the presence of mind to bring them up on charges yet. Not for this kind of thing-they've done so much worse.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Billion Backs said:
buy teh haloz said:

He never said that he pirated the game. All he said is that yes, it's incredibly easy to pirate anything, and you have to be living under a stone not to realize it. And that's an absolutely correct factual statement to make.

By your logic, me knowing what various illegal drugs look like and how people use them, all from the internet or even wikipedia alone, is somehow equal to me admitting to using said drugs?
Any business like Gamestop, or any other game retailer is scared absolutely shitless of piracy. He basically said, "hey, I played this game because I pirated it. If I can do it, so can you." He was wrong to say he was an employee of Gamestop, as well as what he said about it.

And RapeLay is a game with so much controversy surrounding it. If Gamestop has someone who's played and thinks it isn't a big deal, they have to toss them out to protect their profits and consumer interests.

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
So shocking, yet so predictable. And the scariest part, is that Rapelay, for better or worse regardless of the ban, isn't LOCALIZED to America . . . so even if it's NOT banned, there's about an oh . . . 100% chance it wont' be on store shelves in America unless say a pawn shop, or small game stores that take in trades of really weird games or computer games at all for that matter.

The problem I see, is it comes down to politics. Forget Gamestop firing him, he did technically cross the line, saying he IS an employee of Gamestop and then saying it's easy to illegally download popular videogames is enough to get him fired even if he's management. But rather, Rapelay gets into the news again with NO media faces (except people like the Escapist that know what they're talking about) mentioning that the problem with videogames being so likely to shape a person kind of isn't true enough to be absolute. They keep conveniently ignoring that there's plenty of movies about Rapists that not only do what they do, but get away with it, or are portrayed as Heroes. Anyone seen Devil's Rejects? hmm? tell me why the Media wasn't banning THAT movie, or trying to sue Rob Zombie into his inevitable grave? oh wait . . . that wasn't a videogame, so that was exempt.

Great job politics and media . . . keep screwing it up for us . . .

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Matt_LRR said:
sunpop said:
That aside saying he worked at game stop and therefore can be considered somewhat of an expert is a load of crap. That logic would mean the CEO's of game stop are the ultimate source for gaming knowledge when odds are they don't even play games.
That he, as a person who works with videogames on a daily basis, is somewhat more knowledgable on consumer behavior, game content, and the industry at large than a lay person or average news viewer is in no way a load of crap.

-m
That would be true and still could be correct in this particular case, but I'm going to go with the opinion of longtime GS employee Whistleblower and his anti-GS videos which were made for free over the course of nine months. That guy worked for over a year at several different GS locations, and according to him the average GS employee knows about as much about video games as the average goldfish.

I realize the irony of a former GS employee saying GS employees know nothing about the games they sell, but not everyone who works a sales job likes or uses the products they sell. And at the end of the day, GS employees are salespeople and nothing else.

Billion Backs

Apr 20, 2010
buy teh haloz said:
Billion Backs said:
buy teh haloz said:

Any business like Gamestop, or any other game retailer is scared absolutely shitless of piracy. He basically said, "hey, I played this game because I pirated it. If I can do it, so can you." He was wrong to say he was an employee of Gamestop, as well as what he said about it.

And RapeLay is a game with so much controversy surrounding it. If Gamestop has someone who's played and thinks it isn't a big deal, they have to toss them out to protect their profits and consumer interests.
No, he didn't. All he said was "?It?s relatively easy to pirate these games, when all one has to do is type in the name of what they want and add ?torrent,?? Littlejohn said. ?Usually, some sort of link turns up." That, I'm afraid, doesn't include anything along the lines "I pirated it". All he's saying is that yes, it is easy to pirate things because it is. For all you know, he could have imported it.

And your last paragraph is just a disgusting example of censorship and discrimination based on something that's not even fucking illegal. Companies shouldn't meddle with their employees private lives, especially when they aren't committing any recognized crimes.

While doing the interview was definitely a bad idea for him, getting kicked out solely for owning and having played the video game (and I'm sure Game Stop will have other excuses if matter of law suit comes up) is just fucking enraging.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
He didn't really 'explain' how to pirate, if you don't know what a torrent is then you're not the kind of person who uses a computer anyways. He still did a stupid thing because he broke the rules, no matter how dumb the rules are.

dashiz94

Apr 14, 2009
Dr Ampersand said:
Well he must be the talk of the town. Must be fun getting fired when talking about how you acquired a game where you rape people. Religious nuts must love him.
Religious nuts must have crucified him.

Dudeakoff

Jul 22, 2009
2 years working for a company, say something that could be found out with a quick Google search (and all he was doing was making a point about censorship being pointless in this instance) and you get fired, no warning, no recognition of how he's worked there for 2 years, just kick him out because he can be easily replaced with someone else.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Billion Backs said:
buy teh haloz said:
Billion Backs said:
buy teh haloz said:

No, he didn't. All he said was "?It?s relatively easy to pirate these games, when all one has to do is type in the name of what they want and add ?torrent,?? Littlejohn said. ?Usually, some sort of link turns up." That, I'm afraid, doesn't include anything along the lines "I pirated it". All he's saying is that yes, it is easy to pirate things because it is. For all you know, he could have imported it.

And your last paragraph is just a disgusting example of censorship and discrimination based on something that's not even fucking illegal. Companies shouldn't meddle with their employees private lives, especially when they aren't committing any recognized crimes.

While doing the interview was definitely a bad idea for him, getting kicked out solely for owning and having played the video game (and I'm sure Game Stop will have other excuses if matter of law suit comes up) is just fucking enraging.
And what you said in the first paragraph is enough to make any game retailer shit themselves on the spot. Fact is a lot of people heard of Rapelay through CNN, and yes, even if it isn't illegal, I'm pretty sure Gamestop wouldn't want to be affiliated with a game that promotes rape. It's about creating an image for your business, see? And being affiliated with a guy who played RapeLay and said, "oh it's just a game" is enough to fuck their image up terribly.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
yea, admitting to piracy with a job selling games and telling people the basics of torrents is a dumb move.

BUUUT isn't piracy the only way to get that game?

NeutralMunchHotel

Jun 14, 2009
Matt_LRR said:
He's 100% right in what he says.
Yes, and I would be 100% right in saying that homosexuality is for the most part unnatural.

In both situations, there's a time and a place to say things like that, and anyone saying either must be incredibly careful in saying either otherwise... well.

He didn't choose too wisely.

EnigmaticThor

Jun 28, 2009
Calamity said:
Straying Bullet said:
All in all, I still find the fact he was fired idiotic, he is a resident in the USA, which values their so-called Freedom of Speech alot. Apparently, they do not. His opinion is hurting Gamestop or promoting whatever kind of behaviour.
He still had his freedom of speech. He freely spoke to a member of the press representing the company he works for, where he freely told his employers and the world that he's a pirate.
Exactly. Way too many people seem to think that 'freedom of speech' means 'freedom from the consequences of your speech.' In any case, if the gov't had gone after him for what he said, it would have been a violation of his freedom of speech. But businesses have the right to limit what's said by their employees (or even their customers in some cases -- you can get kicked out of stores for saying offensive things.)

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
The really stupid part about this entire story is what no one wants to bring up:

All of this started because CNN is in the dumps in ratings and decided they needed a controversial story so they bring up a game that is five years old and not commercially available in America. This isn't a matter of "this game is wrong" or "does this game cause damage to those who play it", this is a matter of the media once again wanting a witch hunt on something that they don't control. Remember how music was labled by the media before every company merged? They did the same thing until they were getting a piece of the pie. Today it's video games, so they had to find one to vilify no matter if it is old and not relevant to anywhere but Japan. This guy got caught in the crossfire of the media creating a frenzy about nothing. If he's smart, he'll sue the reporters for not doing their job correctly and protecting their sources.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
All in all, I still find the fact he was fired idiotic, he is a resident in the USA, which values their so-called Freedom of Speech alot. Apparently, they do not. His opinion is hurting Gamestop or promoting whatever kind of behaviour.
The concept of free speech refers to the government. Gamestop is not a government entity, and he was not jailed or anything, so this doesn't go against that concept, which is only really a safeguard against things like arresting people for having different views from the party in power, etc.

P.S. Thanks