GameStop Employee Gives RapeLay Interview, Gets Fired

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
PapaJupe said:
He was fired from Gamestop because he didn't harrass the interviewer about putting $5 down to reserve another game.
LMAO your comment made my day.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Shouldn't it be a company policy to sack people who openly admit to potentially hurting their business? Or admit that they participate in regular illegal activity?

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
SnootyEnglishman said:
Smart move dumbass. Should have known that when you're giving an interview and you identify yourself as a worker of a worldly recognized retail chain that mean you don't tell people how to do thing which would derail them from the business.
Exactly. The retail magnates come down hard (as they should) if an employee compremises a buisnesses potential revenue in any way.

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
I was trying to see where he claimed to have any representation for his company -- it's certainly not anywhere near the quotes referenced here. It probably would've been more prudent if he had just answered their questions of "Where do you work?" with "A videogame retailer." Although there's no background there to say that the Globe reporter didn't catch him in his GameStop shirt on his lunch break and just started asking questions about the game, maybe only pausing to ask "How long have you worked at GameStop?" For all we know, the reporter may have asked "How long have you worked at the video game store?" and chose later to publish the name of the store himself.

The only exception to this comes later, when Littlejohn seems to make an off-hand remark:
The Globe said:
?The only reason the game is really known stateside is because of a third party releasing it in Britain via Amazon, which was shortly removed due to people?s complaints,? Littlejohn said. ?Banning has never been an issue with Gamestop.?
That could be construed a few different ways, like "Banning has never been an issue because GameStop will sell anything", depending on how far out of context you take his statement.

Everything else, it's questionable as to what information he volunteered.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Matt_LRR said:
Dude should have adhered to GameStop's "don't talk to the press" policy.

Dumb.

That said, if the media paid more attention to statements exactly like his we might see more reasonable policy making and discourse with regards to the industy.

The game isn't available here, and is only obtainable through piracy. Banning it will achieve nothing, because you already can't buy it here anyhow. Regulating this game simply sets an uncomfortable precedent, and fails to actually regulate access to the game at all.

He's 100% right in what he says.

-m
Except he wasn't representing GS. This is BS. I can't believe The Escapist actually defends a chilling corporate policy like this.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
RowdyRodimus said:
The really stupid part about this entire story is what no one wants to bring up:

All of this started because CNN is in the dumps in ratings and decided they needed a controversial story so they bring up a game that is five years old and not commercially available in America. This isn't a matter of "this game is wrong" or "does this game cause damage to those who play it", this is a matter of the media once again wanting a witch hunt on something that they don't control. Remember how music was labled by the media before every company merged? They did the same thing until they were getting a piece of the pie. Today it's video games, so they had to find one to vilify no matter if it is old and not relevant to anywhere but Japan. This guy got caught in the crossfire of the media creating a frenzy about nothing. If he's smart, he'll sue the reporters for not doing their job correctly and protecting their sources.
This isn't really about the media kicking up a fuss about RapeLay. If anything, it's about the general public opinion to do with it, which would have been pretty similar to how it is now even if the media had stayed out of it. Over here in the United Kingdom, we've seen very little of this 'frenzy' you mention.
I would say that it's just Gamestop trying to make a point by submitting to the public, if that makes sense. Or rather, trying deliberately not to make a point, though I'm not sure if the American populace is likely to boycott Gamestop until they issue a statement saying they hate the game.

Strategia

za Rodina, tovarishchii
Mar 21, 2008
Now I don't know about this sort of thing (I never did an honest day's work in my life), but are GameStop clerks eligible to back pay or something when they get fired? If they do, then this might just be a guy who hates his job and found an easy way to get fired. Or, more likely, he's just an idiot.

Seldon2639

Feb 21, 2008
Matt_LRR said:

Dumb.

That said, if the media paid more attention to statements exactly like his we might see more reasonable policy making and discourse with regards to the industy.

The game isn't available here, and is only obtainable through piracy. Banning it will achieve nothing, because you already can't buy it here anyhow. Regulating this game simply sets an uncomfortable precedent, and fails to actually regulate access to the game at all.

-m
http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2008/12/why-defend-freedom-of-icky-speech.html

I have nothing of great substance to add, so... I'll just leave this here

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
The saddest part of this story is that people in the media, or the viewers of said media, would ever think that a clerk at GameStop could be considered a "resident expert" on the video game industry, or even the underground game phenomena.

So I guess when an indie band does a controversial song, the media is going to the nearest music chain-store and asking a "resident expert" there on what the song was about?

No?

I didn't think so.

As was already said, this is just about the media failing as a business and making desperate grabs at anything that will make them money from ratings, or will harass outside industries into buying them off. They are worse than the mafia. Crazy statement, you say? Well, has the Mafia ever tried to sell War to the people, and in turn, profit off of said war? Nope. Gee... the media sucks pretty bad, doesn't it?

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
Matt_LRR said:

Dumb.

-m
Except he wasn't representing GS. This is BS. I can't believe The Escapist actually defends a chilling corporate policy like this.
Having been identified as an employee of GS, he explicitly was representing Gamestop. He wasn't speaking on behalf of gamestop, or representing the company's opinions, but his statements reflect on the corporation. Absolutely they do.

It's written into the emplyee agreement at GS that employees are to decline to speak to the press, and forward all requests for media to the corporate communications department.

Had he identified himself as "a gamer" or "a game retailer" this would be no issue. But the moment he names his employer he bacame a representative, and an unauthorized one at that.

That he got canned should be surprising to no one.

-m

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
...hold on. You're actually defending the idea of firing people who work for a company - that has no authority on what games to ban, or on any of the issues he actually spoke on - because he identified himself as an employee..

Did someone say.. "clear connections" a little further back there?

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I would wager that RapeLay had absolutely nothing to do with why he got fired. He was right, of course, about everything he said, but he should've known that GameStop wasn't going to be to happy about him essentially endorsing piracy in their name.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
I think it should be said, that it's probably not a big deal that he got fired from GameStop. It isn't exactly quality-of-life threatening to not have to work for a mechanical franchise store.

It's like saying, "Oh no, I got fired from pumping gas, what am I going to do now?! My honor, my pride... is... tainted!"

The guy surely doesn't give a shit, either. It was probably a part-time job anyway.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I agree with him.
I don't think he should be fired. If he wants to talk to the press he certainly can, it's within his legal rights to do so even if it's against "company policy".

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
The title is very misleading. It makes it sound like he got fired because he said it was nothing but a game, but it was because he admitted to pirating it along with other things.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
A little off topic... but do you actually simulate raping people in RapeLay, or is this just an urban myth?