Garry's Mod Pirates Get Stung

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
There are only three reasons for piracy: lazy, cheap, and a douche-bag. Those with the audacity to complain that it is unfair their pirated copy doesn't work are the very definition of douche-bag.

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
geizr said:
There are only three reasons for piracy: lazy, cheap, and a douche-bag. Those with the audacity to complain that it is unfair their pirated copy doesn't work are the very definition of douche-bag.
Couldn't agree more.

I hate pirates greatly. It's because of them that those of us who buy copies legitimately have to put up with crap like DRM.

I'm not saying pirates justify DRM, but they are the prime cause of it.

Hopefully, Garry's little victory here will inspire the bigger companies to drop over-reactionary crap like DRM, and use this much more effective means of rooting out and punishing pirates.

*Hopeful thinking.*

Mr S

Jul 13, 2010
Serves them right! (I'm one of those kind of people btw... :( )
You don't really expect that when you illegally acquire a game you have an assurance you get away with it do you?

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
aashell13 said:
sir.rutthed said:
My question is what exactly is stopping these guys from pirating it again? They obviously have no compunctions against it.
presumably the loss of all the stuff they bought through steam.
That's assuming they bought other stuff, rather than pirating everything or just having pirated Garry's Mod. I really don't see how this is going to solve anything long term; it's just a publicity stunt. A funny one, but a stunt nonetheless.

ChocoFace

Nov 19, 2008
He probably came up with this in his sleep. Acts of sheer brilliance like this are hard to come by.

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
sir.rutthed said:
My question is what exactly is stopping these guys from pirating it again? They obviously have no compunctions against it.
They can no longer use Garry's Mod because of the error unless they buy it.

Alien Mole

The Quite Obscure
Oct 6, 2009
This does make me wonder how he would have implemented a graphics problem that occurs only on pirated copies in the first place. Any guesses?

EDIT: Wait - if I got this right, it only says there's a graphics issue but it actually just refuses to boot, so no doing loopy things with the graphics engine. Did I get that right?

bpm195

May 21, 2008
I like it. I'm always on the side of not screwing your customers as you hunt for pirates, and this is a good simple solution. Somebody reports the error code and it's easy enough to check whether or not they have the game. The only potential shortcoming is people using the system maliciously to call other people who have the game pirates, but as long as they're cross referencing it with a list of people who have it they're fine.

Bravo!

hansari

May 31, 2009
sir.rutthed said:
Nothing is stopping them.

But in the grand scheme of things, this is justice without getting to overzealous and filing lawsuits against those who pirated the game.

1) Some forum communities become rather tight-knit and banning them kinda turns them away from a social avenue they likely enjoyed greatly. (Look at the Escapists "groups" or "clubs")

2) It serves as a badge of dishonor. Some won't care, but theres a difference still from privately being a pirate and publicly being marked as one on your account.

dagens24 said:
I support this but do think that Steam should allow for some sort of review of cases where gamers claim they had a legit copy and were mistakenly banned.
If it were up to me, I would allow a means for those banned to do so. But to stop my company from wasting its resources I would add the stipulation that in those cases where it is proven the person pirated the game, I get $20...

xavix

Mar 31, 2009
I didn't pay for Garry's mod. I played it, and hated it. SO glad I saved my $10 bucks.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Geez, Gary Newman is like frickin Batman. Now THAT was an epicly laid trap. Kudos, my good man.

And to all the pirates out there who will whine about this, I say only this: