Gay characters in children's cartoons

NoDamnNames

Feb 25, 2009
Homosexual oriented persons appearing in cartoons appealing to children I think is fine, unless they are reinforcing homosexual stereotypes of so called "flaming gays".

Just because a person is gay does not by default make them a perverted deviant as many people think homosexuals HAVE to be.

Notable homosexual characters in kids shows (in my theory) are TinkyWinky - Tellatubbies, Team Rocket James - Pokemon, Sailor Venus *shifty eyes* - Sailor Moon

Bottom line in my opinion, Homosexuals depicted as normal people who can be role models OK, homosexuals depicted as stereotypes who are decidedly different from other characters "BCUZ IM GAY PENIS PENIS PENIS I LIEk PENIS" is neither beneficial to the child audience or the immage of the the homosexual community.

DuctTapeJedi

Nov 2, 2010
I think the reason for this is mostly that characters in kids' shows never discuss their sexuality. We just assume they're straight.

There are ways to expose kids to other view points while staying age appropriate, though. I think it was the show 'Arthur' that caught a bunch of crap a while back for having a little girl with two moms. I see absolutely nothing wrong with including homosexuality in kids' shows as long as it's age appropriate. (I don't want straight characters discussing their sexuality, either.)

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
I would say there's nothing wrong with having homosexual characters in kid's shows, but I'm not sure if the US in particular is ready for it. As much as it pains me to say it a lot of parents in the US would probably be outraged if their kid's favorite show had a guy who gets a crush on another guy, "You're turning my child into a queer !" Would be the complaint of many a parent. While it might be a step forward for homosexuals gaining wider acceptance in America it could very well do the opposite at this point in time, if you know anything about America it wouldn't surprise you to know this could even be seen as homosexuals "attacking" heterosexual ideals.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
CM156 said:
In a TV show for adults?

Fine

For teenagers?

Sure, why not

For young children?

Ehhhh, no.

I don?t think children at that age need to be thinking those sorts of things (Adult things). Let children be children, and you can tell them at an older age.
So I guess Sesame Street is really progressive then? I remember the Hispanic couple popping a kid out.
By the reasoning presented here, every good American's ass should be tightening shut with that "sudden Puritan fury" that's so common when we want to avoid uncomfortable subjects.

Evil Moo

Always Watching...
Feb 26, 2011
I am somewhat torn on this matter. While I have no issue with the concept of gay characters, I am inclined to say no, I don't really think there is a place for gay characters in children's cartoons.

I don't think that sexuality should be a factor at all in children's cartoons and if the creator of one is making the conscious choice to make one of the characters gay, then there will inevitably be at least some focus on their sexuality. If on the other hand there is no focus on the sexuality of the gay character, then there is no reason for them to be defined as gay at all; they might as well have no sexuality rather than a character trait that will have no reference in the actual plot. It seems unlikely to me that a gay character would be anything other than a token character, reinforcing stereotypes and possibly confusing children who haven't so much as thought about their own sexuality. I suppose it depends how young the audience is to some degree (I'm basing my thoughts on a fairly young aged audience) as to how well they will understand the situation.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
I grew up on Bugs Bunny. People seem to forget how often he crossdresses, and how often he kisses male characters. And there are a few Loony Toons cartoons featuring Sylvester getting a white stripe down his back and becoming an object of affection for Pepe Le Pew.

It can be done. People are just so focused on new things changing that status quo that they forget the obvious examples that already exist. And if things like that are so easy to miss, are they really so bad?

Vinterdraken

Apr 4, 2009
My personal belief is that incorperating gay characters in some extent in television aimed at a younger audience is important. I am however not saying that incorperating references or explanations of sex should be done in anyway. The suicide rate amongst teenagers who are homosexual is frightingly high today, and two of the large contributing factors to that number is the bullying and outside pressure faced by those young individuals by their peers and the fact that many have issues with their self-image and have a wrongfull perception that they are abnormal and wrong. Its important for everyone to feel that they are accepted and the simple truth today is that most young individuals with a different sexuality of any kind from the norm (btw norm and normal are not entirely the same thing) have no way to come to understand their feelings or find a way to relate to society. Often a young individual doesnt understand why they feel the way they do, and unless they have the fortunate luck of having a role-model through which they can understand that its perfectly normal to feel the way they do, they will feel different.

The argument could be made that parents amongst other groups should be more vigilant and active in their childrens growth but the problem there lies in that if the child hasnt come to terms with its feelings and individuality (which lets face it, usually doesnt happen until after ones teens) it can be hard for parents to notice any signs and come to the right conclusion. Also, we have to face the fact that alot of the children today recieve a great deal of their learning from other sources then their immediate family and school, Youth today is constantly exposed to TV, Games and other media and it will affect how they percieve their world. People fear that which they cannot understand, and its impossible to understand something without any exposure or information about the subject.

To try put things simply, having characters and role-models that children can relate to growing up is healthy for them. And for the majority of children who are heterosexual, understanding that love can work in other ways and that it is just as normal and beautiful can do no harm.

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
I personally don't see the problem with doing this. If characters can be clearly straight and still G-rated, they can be gay and still G-rated. You know...he's crushing on the new boy instead of the new girl? She's falling over herself to impress a hot woman instead of a hot guy? I don't see the scandal; it's just a couple of gender-flips.

The only real issue would be that the self-proclaimed moral guardians would have conniptions. I don't see why their conniptions should be taken seriously, but even so.

And Spongebob may be flamboyant, but (IIRC) he's canonically borderline ace with slight hetero tendencies.

AnkaraTheFallen

May contain a lot of Irn Bru
Apr 11, 2011
Bara_no_Hime said:
It has been shown that many children are aware they are gay long before they are aware of sexuality or romantic issues - they just know. Having a character who they can relate to as part of the television they watch is essential for developing self-esteem and confidence.
I completely agree, looking back on my childhood, I always knew I was gay, even if I did deny and repress it till I was older.
I think having positive gay role models would be a great thing to have... personally I feel it would have helped me feel that I was 'normal' rather spending years of my life denying that part of me and generally feeling I was some kind of freak later on in life.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Kipohippo said:
Canid117 said:
Kipohippo said:
Canid117 said:
Pretty sure he is trolling.
I'm not. Any sex in kids shows, imo, is not okay. Sure, have a flamboyant character, but that just plays on stereotypes. I feel the same about macho men and helpless princeses. Plus, whats the big diffrence between homosexuality and hetrosexuality? The sex. So, when my future kid walks up to me and asks me why spongebob and patrick can't get married but spongebob and sandy can, what do I say? Imo, best to educate them about this seperatley.
Tell your child that in your state marriage is not legally allowed between people of the same gender. Do the characters even need to get married? Can't it just be a grade school crush like every other relationship between a protagonist and a side character in cartoons that has ever existed. By the time they are old enough to actually bother watching the cartoon on a regular basis or care about the characters your kids will already have a sexual orientation. They may not know what it is yet but your kids will either be gay or straight or bi by the time they are five and Rainbow Dash isn't going to change that especially seeing as how the relationship would only be shown as an emotional one.
I dont think you have much experience with kids. THEY ARE FUCKING CURIOUS. Just seeing a man and a man together will spark 15 questions. Besides playing on sterotypes or putting a man with another man, there isnt a easy way to represent this in a kids show.
So... God forbid you have to answer your children's questions, essentially?

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Mrrrgggrlllrrrg said:
You know what in the middle of typing a paragraph I just figured I'm gonna keep it short. Firstly Rainbow Dash is only perceived as gay because of stupid stereotyping and labeling based on differences. The show does it best, if you're different be you and friends wont focus on those arbitrary differences. Shows have had that message forever but we as a society still stigmatize anything outside of the norm, that shit needs to stop. So a girl likes sports, who cares what their sexuality is, no sense speculating.
See, here's the issue with this. Rainbow Dash is NOT the standard lesbian stereotype.

Is she athletic? Yes. However, Applejack is more so.

Rainbow Dash is also very spontaneousness, prone to running off before she knows the situation, or sticking her head into things before she ready.

She also has hidden self-confidence issues, that come out rather spectacularly in one episode.

She is extremely loyal, but also kind of a ***** to her friends.

Of these, only the athleticism is a lesbian stereotype.

The support for her being gay (or bi) is as follows:

Her rainbow motif (gay pride colors).
The fact that she seems to crush on all of the Wonderbolts equally (male and female alike).
The fact that she is rather physical (both on affection and just rough-housing) with her female friends.

And honestly that isn't much to go on. The fact that she stalks Spitfire and Soaren through a party is the best evidence for it, IMO, but even that can be attributed to simple fan obsession.

tldr: My point is that Rainbow Dash is not actually a lesbian stereotype.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Kipohippo said:
Bara_no_Hime said:
Kipohippo said:
I never said it was bad. Homosexuality is just not normal, it is somewhat rare compared to hetrosexuality. Would majority/minority be better wording?
First of all, yes, if you mean it is in the minority, then use minority.

Asian Americans are a minority - but they are also normal.

And by that logic, if you have an Asian-American character, then why not a gay character?
Well how would you portray a gay character without playing off sterotypes? You really cant, gay people look just like anyone else. This isnt the 40's. Speedy gonzales wouldnt cut it with todays standards.
By making them liking someone of their own gender? Contrary to what you seem to believe, being gay is nothing else but that.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
Why should a characters sexual orientation be brought into play in childrens cartoons, gay or straight?

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
mr_rubino said:
CM156 said:
In a TV show for adults?

Fine

For teenagers?

Sure, why not

For young children?

Ehhhh, no.

I don?t think children at that age need to be thinking those sorts of things (Adult things). Let children be children, and you can tell them at an older age.
So I guess Sesame Street is really progressive then? I remember the Hispanic couple popping a kid out.
By the reasoning presented here, every good American's ass should be tightening shut with that "sudden Puritan fury" that's so common when we want to avoid uncomfortable subjects.
I believe, and I could be wrong here, is that he is trying to say, small children are incapable of understanding adult content, it's like giving a five year old child a condom and then explain to them what it is meant for, education wise this is just absolutely ridiculous, why do they need to know that? Short answer they don't, everything should be done in a crawl, walk, and then run phase, and I'm pretty sure he nailed it on the head with his post, be it pretty blunt. I think it should be something that's explored for young adults, they should be allowed to see the world for what it is and find their place in it.

But, then again, they do know everything already, stupid teenagers... when I was their age..............

Peteron

Oct 9, 2009
Sexuality isn't important in children's cartoons. Unless your Johnny Bravo, sexuality isn't something that regularly appears. I can't imagine cartoons with homosexual characters, mainly because in this day and age the chances of such a thing being accepted are slim. I could care less if there is a homosexual character or not, mainly because sexuality isn't that common of a factor in children's cartoons. Plus, many children do not really notice or care about sexuality until they are much older. (teens) You remember "cooties" do you not?

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Kipohippo said:
Sporky111 said:
I grew up on Bugs Bunny. People seem to forget how often he crossdresses, and how often he kisses male characters. And there are a few Loony Toons cartoons featuring Sylvester getting a white stripe down his back and becoming an object of affection for Pepe Le Pew.

It can be done. People are just so focused on new things changing that status quo that they forget the obvious examples that already exist. And if things like that are so easy to miss, are they really so bad?
I also watched alot of classic loony toons. I clearly remember being curious, when i asked my dad he just said that boys kissing boys is bad. :( Best for schools to teach about it neutrally imo.
*facepalm*
Either you have odd, contradictory views, or you really are faking it.
Most people of your "type" say the parents should teach about homosexuality when the child is good and ready (i.e. 25). And schools teaching "neutrally" would have them put het and ho on the same footing. And according to you, that would be a bad thing. And yet...