Gay characters in children's cartoons

Teh Roflchoppa

Jun 24, 2009
The show Ed Edd and Eddy had, what could be considered a gay character. The boy was named Jimmy, he had a very high voice and only talked with the girls and followed the girls, he found the guys disgusting and he loved stuffed animals and bunnies. Anyone remember that show?

AnkaraTheFallen

May contain a lot of Irn Bru
Apr 11, 2011
Wenseph said:
Is the standard lesbian stereotype a butch girl interested in sports?

My image of someone who is lesbian, is someone who's flirtatious and open minded. The thing that made me think Rainbow Dash was gay, was actually her voice. Until someone said it was a girl in the show. I thought it was a boy, then I thought too much about it. I know it's ridicolous, but other bronies thinks the same thing and I like to think she's gay. If it's based on differences I can understand it, as I've been labeled the same because of being different.
The older stereotype for lesbians was a butch girl who hates men, loves sports, has piercings ect..
The truth is most are like you think they are (or at least I am and most I've met are) but people stick with the stereotype from decades ago.

bluewolf

Apr 16, 2011
This could end in two wasys, if they watch the show when they are old enough to understand it (about nine yrs old) then it could potentially traumatise them and make them downright homo-phobic. But if they watch the show when they are about four yrs old they may grow up thinking there is nothing wrong with gay people.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Tsaba said:
mr_rubino said:
CM156 said:
In a TV show for adults?

Fine

For teenagers?

Sure, why not

For young children?

Ehhhh, no.

I don?t think children at that age need to be thinking those sorts of things (Adult things). Let children be children, and you can tell them at an older age.
So I guess Sesame Street is really progressive then? I remember the Hispanic couple popping a kid out.
By the reasoning presented here, every good American's ass should be tightening shut with that "sudden Puritan fury" that's so common when we want to avoid uncomfortable subjects.
I believe, and I could be wrong here, is that he is trying to say, small children are incapable of understanding adult content, it's like giving a five year old child a condom and then explain to them what it is meant for, education wise this is just absolutely ridiculous, why do they need to know that? Short answer they don't, everything should be done in a crawl, walk, and then run phase, and I'm pretty sure he nailed it on the head with his post, be it pretty blunt. I think it should be something that's explored for young adults, they should be allowed to see the world for what it is and find their place in it.

But, then again, they do know everything already, stupid teenagers... when I was their age..............
That was my point: there needs to be context for the content.

Would I as a parent prevent my kid from watching such a show?

No

Would I watch it ahead of time and be prepared to answer any questions that came up?

Yes

...Christ, I feel like an old man.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
A Weary Exile said:
Questions to consider when posting:
-Does the idea of including more or any gay characters in a show targeted at younger audiences bother you? Reasons for why or why not?
-Speaking specifically about the character of Rainbow Dash: In the (Highly unlikely) event that she was to actually turn out to be homosexual how would you feel about this change? Do you think she would make a good gay character or does she fit too neatly into established stereotypes?

EDIT: Accidentally hit post before I could add the poll. Rectifying this ASAP.
I think the idea of having it as a completely passive thing would do some good in the world. Not focusing on the gay crushes, but simply having them as more or less background events could be good. I certainly think it would lower the stigma on being gay if kids are introduced to it from an early age in a passive/peaceful setting.

More mature audience oriented movies and shows have started introducing gay characters, or characters in gay relationships where it's fairly interchangeable and I think it's had some good effect on people, I could only assume it would have a better effect on kids.

Good thinking I suppose. Sort of hate the whole school yard crush thing, but it would be nice to see.

Klarinette

May 21, 2009
I don't think it needs to be right in kids' faces, but it's a fact that some of the kids they go to school with have two dads/two moms. The ones that do obviously might not bring it up right away, but when they do, the ones that don't are going to be a little confused. I think then would be the time to explain it to them. It's not something that should be hidden from them exactly, but it should definitely be explained when it comes up.

There was a gay character on Teletubbies. I don't know if it's on anymore, but Tinky-Winky was definitely gay. He was purple (as opposed to blue, seeing as the other three were just red, yellow and green), had a triangle on his head (I'm told this is a gay symbol, especially when there's a rainbow in it - don't yell at me), spoke with a bit of a lisp, and carried a purse. I... don't think I've seen anything like that in a kid show since.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
FeralCentaur said:
Doctor Glocktor said:
Isn't Spongebob gay?
He's a Sponge, Sponges have no genders... although I'm not sure about Star fish...
Kipohippo said:
I never said it was bad. Homosexuality is just not normal, it is somewhat rare compared to hetrosexuality. Would majority/minority be better wording?
...So you're saying minorities shouldn't be shown in kids shows?
stop screwing him over with "Poe's Law"

anyways, i'm for it, but flamboyantly gay is a bad thing, because that's just stereotyping

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Kipohippo said:
Normal is the opposite of uncommon. It is abnormal, to say its not would be a lie. I have pectus exavatum among some heart issues, is that normal? No. Is that abnormal? Yes. Is it natural? Absolutley.
No. You are wrong. Linguistically speaking, you are absolutely wrong.

Normal is the opposite of abnormal.

Common is the opposite of uncommon.

These are entirely different.
Normal = the way something is supposed to be.
Abnormal = something that is incorrect

Common = something that occurs frequently
Uncommon = something occurs infrequently

Your pectus exavatum is both uncommon (infrequent) and abnormal (a flaw in your design). However, that does not mean that uncommon and abnormal are the same thing - just that your condition happens to be both.

And no, your heart problem IS NOT natural - it is a flaw in your body. Your heart was born damaged.

Thus your simile and your analogy were both incorrect.

I am a gay woman. I was not born wrong. There is nothing faulty with my equipment.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Teh Roflchoppa said:
The show Ed Edd and Eddy had, what could be considered a gay character. The boy was named Jimmy, he had a very high voice and only talked with the girls and followed the girls, he found the guys disgusting and he loved stuffed animals and bunnies. Anyone remember that show?
Shows efeminate males, maybe. Was he actually accepted for it or was he sort of outcasted/rejected for that very reason though?

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
GreatTeacherCAW said:
Still the sexual aspect. The fact that the girl character has a crush on a girl still unveils a small amount of sexuality, even if it is innocent. There is no way to bring a gay character into a show without him or her having to go out of their way as a plot device to show that they are gay. It is pointless.
How is it any more pointless, or any more of a plot device to show sexuality, than the example with Rarity and Prince Blueblood?

Kurokami said:
Shows efeminate males, maybe. Was he actually accepted for it or was he sort of outcasted/rejected for that very reason though?
Jimmy was stereotypically "effeminate" (that is, utterly devoid of machismo) and preferred the company of girls to that of boys, but he pretty clearly had a little schoolboy crush on Eddy's sister. I don't recall him being treated like a reject.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
I don't think they should make efforts to add gay characters into already going series. They shouldn't add a gay character into a tv show just for the sake of having a gay character either. Thats stupid. However, I do think that some tv series need gay characters, just to help allow it to be socially accepted.

SteveZim1017

Jan 14, 2009
IT depends on what is meant by "children's cartoon" Anything that is targeted at young children doesnt need any mention of Gay OR Straight. There doesnt need to be anything that Prompts a sex discussion of any kind from a young kids show. Aside from the sexual orientation I have never seen a consistant difference in mannerisms between any of the gay, lesbian and straigh people I know so from my standpoint any and or all of the characters could all equally be gay/straight/lebian/bi.

Once a show hits an age where its characters are showing some sort of sexual distinction (crushes/boyfriends/girlfriends etc) I see absolutly no problem with a gay character.

SteveZim1017

Jan 14, 2009
I must also point out that there are many posts on here that seem to assume that unless blatantly expressed otherwise a character must be straight. There a Many Many characters on shows that have shown no inkling towards gay or straight, if you are assuming them all to be straigh that is your own bias.

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
sorry, it's late and i'm tired so i didn't read the whole post (was a bit long!) but yes! i actually started said thread and i agree entirely! where boys are allowed to like girls in cartoons the same should be true for same-sex relations. If we admit that homosexuality is fine and no different from hetrosexuality as far as morals are conserened, then we shouldn't hide it from our children

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
mr_rubino said:
Sesame Street is for pre-school and the elementary school age.
"Where do babies come from?" was probably asked a lot.
Nobody rioted.
Do you have a link to this? Because, I don't think they aired the crap they show in high school to them.
EDIT: ie. I did some footwork and I'm not finding proof to your claims or people really did riot and it has been erased from the internet therefore not ever existing at all..... like the vikings we do not speak of the dead.
CM156 said:
That was my point: there needs to be context for the content.
Would I as a parent prevent my kid from watching such a show?
No
Would I watch it ahead of time and be prepared to answer any questions that came up?
Yes
...Christ, I feel like an old man.
Don't worry I'm there with you, that's why "we" as adults need to help decide what is best for "our" children, sometimes parents can be over protective, but, I think some things (such as this) should come in moderation.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I see a problem here. How, without discussing sexuality that goes over childrens heads, do you portray, in a Cartoon where features are naturally exaggerated, Homosexuality without resorting to stereotypes, in a way that small children with no real understanding of sexuality can understand? This alone would be nearly impossible for even the most skilled animator, never mind the fact that overly sensitive homophobes are right there to make a huge fuss. If you manage to do it great, but I'm not sure how reasonable it is to expect that. A kids cartoon probably doesn't stumble randomly into the issue of homosexuality, and having a plot point dependent on homosexuality runs the risk of the kid just seeing Homosexuality as different. A better solution would be one that is about as old as kids cartoons: Teach tolerance, acceptance, and respect for people who are different, and let the kid realize for themselves that this applies to gay people when it comes up.

And actually, Rainbow Dash is the only character I can think of in a kids cartoon that handles this, and handles it well. I kinda identify her as Bi, but in a manner I suspect will never come up in the show itself, and is actually kinda cheating through the rainbow imagery (Also, its not shoehorned imagery since its based on a pre-existing character). The beauty of her character is that no one will ever be able to say that she is gay or bi, but a kid might actually recognize certain traits that are associated with homosexuality, but not exclusively so. It's so subtle, I couldn't tell you what they are, exactly. And the fact that it is a complete non-issue is perfect.