Gay characters in children's cartoons

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Tsaba said:
mr_rubino said:
Sesame Street is for pre-school and the elementary school age.
"Where do babies come from?" was probably asked a lot.
Nobody rioted.
Do you have a link to this? Because, I don't think they aired the crap they show in high school to them.
You missed what I said by so far I can't even think to respond.

ChieftainStag

Apr 14, 2011
I read on one of the posts above (can't remember which) that parents would say:
"You're turning my child into a queer!" now to counter the people and/or parents that would possibly say that: queer basically means wierd in complexity it means: strange or odd from a conventional viewpoint. which could be said about Gays however only in the part the part under Slang in dictionary.com does it say: a homosexual, particularly a male homosexual. however the quote as a whole could be countered with a simple: "and what's wrong with that?"

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
I actually disagree with the idea. As a former child myself, I can recall a time where I would roll my eyes at the "boring love stuff."
Sexuality really doesn't have a place in children's programming, because children are not sexual beings yet. When you say:
A Weary Exile said:
Just so that I?m not misinterpreted understand that I don?t want to turn all kid?s shows into some PSA for love and tolerance of all peoples, kids want to be entertained not feel like they?re being lectured,
I agree, but HOW would you integrate that into a children's show without turning it into a PSA? It would have to be integrated into the plot, and at that point you're getting into subjects that are too adult for kids shows, or intricacies that would probably go over their heads (like your Naruto example).
I think aiming to point out that a character is gay (without turning them into a flaming stereotype, at which point they've gone back to being a joke) would feel just as contrived as trying to point out that a character is straight.

Your heart's in the right place, but I personally don't see a way for it to work!

chunkeymonke

Sep 25, 2009
Bara_no_Hime said:
GreatTeacherCAW said:
I see the LGBT community found something else to ***** about.

Sure, bring on more homosexual cartoon characters. As long as they are not overly flamboyant or another SpongeBob, I wouldn't have a problem. Basically, more Ian McKellen and less Perez Hilton.

But then if you had a homosexual who acted like a normal human being, you wouldn't even know he was gay without implementing the sexual aspect, so looks it doesn't work.
Sure it does. Again, using the MLP example:

Rarity (girl) has crush on Prince Blueblood (boy). There is an issue of romance, but not sexuality. We also learn that Rarity has a crush on Blueblood in episode 3 - she doesn't actually get a date with him until episode 26.

To create the parallel, Rainbow Dash (girl) who could have a crush on Spitfire (girl). Even if nothing ever happens - even if Rainbow Dash never even speaks to Spitfire, the fact that she has a crush on her would let the audience know that she was gay.
From what i'm reading you seem more stereotypical of homosexuals and lesbians than anyone in this thread. I'm tired of all lesbians being percieved as only tomboys who are tough, what are you inferring that rainbow dash is gay from? She idolizes a member of the same sex? If that were the case then almost everyone in the world is gay, adding token gay characters for no reason other than to make some people happy would be a detremental to a culture as adding a sterotypical black person into any show is.

LCP

Dec 24, 2008
Sexuality in children's shows.... no....

Gays in children's shows... absolutely not... Believe me, it's best for both sides... For once, trying to instill that gay is a valid choice is wrong... for the other hand, you do realize that gays would be shown as flamboyant weirdos in most shows.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
CM156 said:
Nimcha said:
Xanadu84 said:
I see a problem here. How, without discussing sexuality that goes over childrens heads, do you portray, in a Cartoon where features are naturally exaggerated, Homosexuality without resorting to stereotypes, in a way that small children with no real understanding of sexuality can understand?
Like I said, simple. Just make the character attracted to the same sex. That, again, is all homosexuality is. There is absolutely no need to drag in any stereotype or other character trait. There's no need to explain it or to handle it any differently than any other relationship on that particular show.

Why can't people let go of the idea that being gay has anything to do with character traits besides which sex one is attracted to?
Because few others in real life have shown us any diffrently. My cousin?s friend is the most flamboyant and campy person you will ever meet. Again, it may be unfair, but the world isn?t fair at all.
Anecdotal nonsense? On MY Escapist?
Try again.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Nimcha said:
Xanadu84 said:
I see a problem here. How, without discussing sexuality that goes over childrens heads, do you portray, in a Cartoon where features are naturally exaggerated, Homosexuality without resorting to stereotypes, in a way that small children with no real understanding of sexuality can understand?
Like I said, simple. Just make the character attracted to the same sex. That, again, is all homosexuality is. There is absolutely no need to drag in any stereotype or other character trait. There's no need to explain it or to handle it any differently than any other relationship on that particular show.

Why can't people let go of the idea that being gay has anything to do with character traits besides which sex one is attracted to?
In a kids cartoon, how often do characters talk about having sex, straight OR gay? Maybe a good 10 percent of cartoon Characters are gay, they just make that fact known as often as the rest of the straight characters, i.e., not at all.

Also, there's a sticky situation here. Homosexuals are exactly as deserving off all rights as straight people, and are just as capable of filling any type of personality as anyone else. It's wrong to assume that sexuality forces you to be anything, and its wrong to assume that a stereotype is a straightjacket. However...there are flamboyent, feminine male homosexualy, and butch female homosexuals, and the percentage of flamboyant or butch individuals amongst the gay population is much higher tehn among the straight. There is a behavioral difference besides sexual partner amongst the entire population. I didn't want to believe it myself, but I couldn't ignore the observable facts. And since this phenomena exists, it seems that we should accept it, and aknowledge that it may be real, but it is fundamentally irrelevant.

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
mr_rubino said:
Tsaba said:
mr_rubino said:
Nobody rioted.
Do you have a link to this? Because, I don't think they aired the crap they show in high school to them.
Your right, we're talking TV here, not the (insert expletive curse word here) comfort and safety of your living room.

katsumoto03

Feb 24, 2010
Kipohippo said:
Bara_no_Hime said:
Kipohippo said:
I think you guys are over shooting this. Being straight is biologically normal. Should we not present that as a norm? Yes, homosexuality is a part of life, but we dont need to stuff it into entertainment for the hell of it. Especially a kid's show. If a kid is going to be gay, let them find that out for themselves instead of doing it because this character from this show is gay.

Edit: Plus, i dont want to have to explain ANYTHING about sex to my children. Keep it simple.
You don't need to explain anything about sex - explain about love.

Also...

Being straight is biologically normal? Um, no. Homosexuality exists all throughout nature. Homosexuality is as biologically "normal" as heterosexuality.

Please don't make such ignorant and offensive statements.
I never said it was bad. Homosexuality is just not normal, it is somewhat rare compared to hetrosexuality. Would majority/minority be better wording?
Claiming that something is "normal" and claiming that the "majority" of people fall into a category are two very different things.

Besides, the majority of fictional characters are hetero, therefore your comment is completely pointless.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
mr_rubino said:
CM156 said:
Nimcha said:
Xanadu84 said:

Because few others in real life have shown us any diffrently. My cousin?s friend is the most flamboyant and campy person you will ever meet. Again, it may be unfair, but the world isn?t fair at all.
Anecdotal nonsense? On MY Escapist?
Try again.
Right, because (Up sarcasm level) noooo GLBT person in this or any thread has eeeevvverr brought up their own life as an example.

Also, I am not trying to say that homosexuality is wrong, I am trying to explain how people feel that way.

If you had a fear of cats, using the fact that you were attacked by one would be a valid explanaition

Condor219

Sep 14, 2010
LCP said:

Gays in children's shows... absolutely not... Believe me, it's best for both sides... For once, trying to instill that gay is a valid choice is wrong... for the other hand, you do realize that gays would be shown as flamboyant weirdos in most shows.
Response to "being gay is not a valid choice": Error, trolls will not be responded to.

To the second part: The problem is that they already are show as flamboyant weirdos. The solution would be to create a gay character that isn't completely "fabulous" off the deep end.

ConeFTW

Jun 23, 2010
Kipohippo said:
Sorry, i didn't mean to offend. Im not trying to use the term 'defect' offensivley, but i dont know any other term. As far as I know, homosexuality is uncommon. And in my belief, i think it is a brain defect since its not carried on in dna. Just trying to show you where I am coming at.
Actually it is carried in the DNA...

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Nimcha said:

Bingo.

Again: sexuality, such as it is in kids' shows, is usually displayed by way of one character becoming infatuated with another. What's coming to mind right now is Doug Funnie's crush on Patti Mayonnaise, or Helga Pataki's messed-up tsundere crush on Arnold. But I somehow doubt anyone's going to define either character strictly by that.

Well, maybe Helga. But that's because she makes such a big deal of it.

LCP

Dec 24, 2008
Condor219 said:
LCP said:

Response to "being gay is not a valid choice": Error, trolls will not be responded to.
Translation: Any opinion that differs from mine must be a troll.

What's the point of adding sexuality to children's cartoons? Unless you have some sort of deviant plan...

Mrrrgggrlllrrrg

Jun 21, 2010
Bara_no_Hime said:
Mrrrgggrlllrrrg said:
To quote the famous Ms. Magazine debacle, Kathleen Richter;
"I was immediately concerned that the only pony that looked slightly angry or tomboyish was the rainbow pony. Since there's a false stereotype that all feminists are angry, tomboyish lesbians, it was disconcerting to think that a kid's TV show would uphold this. I watched the video clip and, indeed, the rainbow pony stands out as having a perpetually maniacal expression while the others are cute and cuddly."
HA! ^^;; She clearly hasn't seen Episodes 25 or 26. Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy will soon fix her impression of the rest of the cast as cute and cuddly.

Also because Dash is very cute in that episode.

Mrrrgggrlllrrrg said:
My point is just as there are flamboyant straight men and girly lesbian women, there is no reason we should ever make prejudgments that cannot be guaranteed based on half information and assumptions.
... why? If it makes me happy that there is a female bisexual character in a show I like (when I'm a bisexual woman myself) then why can't I make that assumption?
It sounds like a good intention for it to be that way but to be honest we dont know the characters sexual orientations definitively. It is akin to saying that a man who happens to act flamboyantly is homosexual if he's straight, it is unfair to the person and it harms them from acting the way they feel comfortable. Instead we shouldn't make assumptions and should take people as they are, if they happen to be gay or straight it shouldnt matter. Good intentions dont always lead to a good place.

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
Tsaba said:
mr_rubino said:
Tsaba said:
mr_rubino said:
Nobody rioted.
Your right, we're talking TV here, not the (insert expletive curse word here) comfort and safety of your living room.
My mistake. I thought you were a native speaker and took your vocab the wrong way.

AnkaraTheFallen

May contain a lot of Irn Bru
Apr 11, 2011
Kipohippo said:
Sorry, i didn't mean to offend. Im not trying to use the term 'defect' offensivley, but i dont know any other term. As far as I know, homosexuality is uncommon. And in my belief, i think it is a brain defect since its not carried on in dna. Just trying to show you where I am coming at.
It's not some brain defect (if it was someone would have found out what part of the brain caused it and tried selling a 'cure' to parents, or some stupid thing along the same line). We are the exact same as everyone else... truthfully I don't know what makes people gay, the most common belief is it's caused by some hormonal balance we have or something. But we are the exact same as any straight person when it comes to our DNA and brain functions, it's just we happen to like members of the same sex.

As others have said, homosexuality is uncommon compared to heterosexuality, but that doesn't mean it isn't natural.