Gearbox CEO On Gamer Criticism: "Some People Are Sadists"

Ima Lemming

Jan 16, 2009
I expect the "Anyone who criticizes my work is just a troll who revels in tearing down other people because they can't create themselves!" attitude from people who make terrible webcomics, not the CEOs of major game development studios. Go to hell, Pitchford.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
What was it Yahtzee once said? "People who live in glass houses shouldn't make poorly optimized, severely broken games."

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Coming from someone else I might at least see where the comment was coming from. It's easy to rip something to shreds, so easy you sometimes forget people put a lot of effort into making it. And I can understand partially see how really hard criticism might seem hurtful if you've put your heart and soul into a game.

But from the creator of Duke Nukem Forever? That (and obviously I can't say for certain, I'll reserve myself for having misjudged the situation) wasn't just a bad game, that was a bloody ruse. They took over a decade old trainwreck, brushed it up to where it could just barely be classified as a game, accelerated the hype-train to 300 mph, and hoped to sell enough copies to make a profit before people realized it was sheit.

I can understand if creators feel like gamers are reacting in an unfair or overblown manner at honest failures or under performances. But if there is one failure in recent gaming history that I would call anything but honest, it's Duke Nukem Forever.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
honestly I think they are taking what he said out of context for the most buzz worthy story. I think and I must stress THINK that he was talking more about the people who you know sent gearbox death threats over aliens and duke nukum rather then those who shared their legitimate disappointment with the game.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
The foolish man builds his house upon the sand, imagine how incompetent you have to be to build the house out of sand as well...

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
How fucking delusional you have to be to completely dismiss the absolutely valid criticisms of both A:CM and DNF?, not only that, but outright lying to your customers about the game you're selling with complete bullshots of the game's footage.

Sega should sue the fuck out of Gearbox, I'm glad I got Boderlands 2 via the Humble Indie Bundle and gave NONE of my money to 2K/Gearbox.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Dynast Brass said:
The other irony here is that GG doesn't really seem to target big companies like Gearbox anyway. You hear orders of magnitude more every day about "Wu" or "Quinn" than you've heard in the lifetime of GG about Gearbox.
I'm not actually sure how GamerGate is related to this?

On topic:
Man, I remember Gearbox being a company that would make pretty excellent PC ports, and some excellent games of their own, like the Brothers in Arms games, Borderlands, etc.

Now it just seems like they're wallowing in self-pity, taking on projects that have no interest in finishing properly, and then drama-queening when Gamers are unimpressed with their half-baked efforts.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Some people are sadists, and some people lie about their games and their games end up being a horrible broken mess.

In fact there's probably quite a bit of crossover their, it's not a giant leap to imagine someone who has lied to their customers on multiple occasions and given their customers shit for their money could be both.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Some people ARE "sadistic assholes" but that's human nature. What's worse is to use this tiny minority of sadists to smear and disregard legitimate criticisms.

Oh, and, in this case, Mr Pitchford you don't make an outright lie in your "Vertical slice" trailer and then expect people not to be mad when the kobe beef filet mignon you promised turns out to be fried dogshit.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Sorry Randy but when you're asking £40 for people to come see a castle, handing out flyers showing a castle made out of jewels and marble only for the reality to be made out of sand and dog turds, then some sandcastles deserve to be stood on... and then pissed on... and then covered in rotted mackrel... and then the seagulls come for the mackrel and tear the landscape apart... and shit on it.

I think I may have gone a bit overboard here...

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
Marxie said:
ecoho said:
honestly I think they are taking what he said out of context for the most buzz worthy story. I think and I must stress THINK that he was talking more about the people who you know sent gearbox death threats over aliens and duke nukum rather then those who shared their legitimate disappointment with the game.
Go spend at least $40 on Colonial Marines. I'd like to see you holding yourself from sending anonymous death threats after that.
And that's where you live. $40 is is about 1/10th of my entire salary in my country, and I work in STEM FFS.

Dynast Brass said:
The other irony here is that GG doesn't really seem to target big companies like Gearbox anyway. You hear orders of magnitude more every day about "Wu" or "Quinn" than you've heard in the lifetime of GG about Gearbox.
To be fair - if I were GG, I could at least understand that Randy is being a whoring corporate shill who's reading a text his (not so good) PR department wrote for him. Whoring one's name out = understandable, nothing can be done about it in the contemporary market environment. People who're doing pretty much the same effect but for their ideology though? Not much can be done about that either the way I see it, but I also see it being a lot more insulting and enraging to a lot of people.
first off a game is NEVER worth the life of another so yeah not hard for me to hold myself back on that.
second if its 1/10th your salary to buy games you should maybe wait for reviews before buying a game.

Honestly you sound a bit like a twit when you say things like this, and I know your not after seeing your posts in other threads, so maybe try reading before you post a bit more.:)

Jun 20, 2013
Wow, what a douche.

Yeah, there are a lot of sadistic assholes on the internet, but your perspective is fucked if you think everyone who doesn't side with you is just being a sadist.