Gearbox CEO On Gamer Criticism: "Some People Are Sadists"

dragoongfa

It's the Krossopolypse
Apr 21, 2009
Ah Randy, Randy, Randy...

We don't hate you because we are bad people...

We hate you because of stuff like this:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/6912-Aliens-Colonial-Marines

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
vallorn said:
Loonyyy said:
Dynast Brass said:
The other irony here is that GG doesn't really seem to target big companies like Gearbox anyway. You hear orders of magnitude more every day about "Wu" or "Quinn" than you've heard in the lifetime of GG about Gearbox.
Could you not? I mean seriously, could you GGers not do this? It's an incredibly annoying derail, meant to start more petty bullshit. In fact, several of the people involved in various slap fights are in this very thread, condemning Pitchford. Hell, I don't think I've read a single post in support of him(Ok, maybe one, and it didn't mention GG). So could you please not?
Dynast isn't GG, he's an Anti. And it annoys GGers as well how said Antis will just bring up GG in the most unrelated of threads. It's silly, derailing and just needs to stop.
I do appreciate the suggestion that when Randy is making sweeping statements about gamers being sadists and such, NO ONE thinks he's talking about GamerGate. -:)

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Seems like its impossible for this man to have any humility or self awareness whatsoever. Very sad, I use to have respect for Randy Pitchford but every new thing he says makes me dislike the man more and more.

Random Gamer

Sep 8, 2014
Dynast Brass said:
The other irony here is that GG doesn't really seem to target big companies like Gearbox anyway. You hear orders of magnitude more every day about "Wu" or "Quinn" than you've heard in the lifetime of GG about Gearbox.
It's not apparent because many reviewers, journalists and the vast hivemind of gamers worldwide are pretty much of the same opinion on this one. The game was awful if not broken and the guy is full of shit, basically. GG is most prominent in cases where there aren't many other people decrying some topic.
But seriously, considering GG is made of gamers, no need to say that most pro-GG people basically agree with the bulk of neutrals and anti-GG people. Heck, this topic shows it quite clearly. And that's fine, that's how things would and should be in an ideal gaming world. (ok, in an ideal gaming world, Alien Colonial Marines wouldn't exist, or would actually be awesome :D )

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Well, if you're sandcastle was a collection of poop jokes and sexism then I'd probably want to kick it down too. And don't get me started on Aliens. Take some responsibility man, you lied.

Also, I think the term you're looking for is masochist Mr. Pitchford. Sadists like to inflict pain on others. Though both are applicable, I suppose.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
So you create a fake trailer with fake gameplay and content that's not actually going to be in the game, and release a game that's a buggy broken mess; and when people call you out on this you accuse them of "kicking over your sandcastle?" Sorry Randy, your logic is lost on me.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
uh huh ...

this coming from a guy who sold, and still sells a game on lies, and brags about getting out of a lawsuit relating to said lies.

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
Pseudonym said:
What exactly is he referring to? It all sounds extremely vague. Does he mean people like Jim Sterling or Angry Joe who are harsch but understandably so or does he mean people who send him threaths and the like? There are always people on the internet who take things too far and there is no excuse for that. On the other hand, if he is referring to harsch criticism, that might be unpleasant for him but from what I have seen it was well deserved.
Merlark said:
It's probably poor Jim sterling kicking over his sand castles though...and thank god for him.
Yep, it's exactly about Jim. In the #AskRandy thing on Twitter two days ago, someone asked Randy why he blocked Jim and this [https://twitter.com/DuvalMagic/status/621000081953685505] was the response. I guess he really liked this metaphor.

Apparently, he simply believes that Jim and Angry Joe (and everyone else) are being sadists and that their criticism is unjust and mean for the shits and giggles. That's kinda scary. It implies that Randy really doesn't understand why customers were angry about A:CM and just handwaves it as "People on the internet are just mean lol." Now, that IS true for the most part, but in this case people spent money for his product based on lies and received a sub-par product to boot. I find their ire justified. And I can't reasonably conclude that all of the enraged customers were simply being brainwashed into meaningless anger. When your game fails miserably and makes most of the customers angry, you did something fucking wrong. Own it up.

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
The thing is, Mr pitchfork, when someone pays you for a sandcastle (especially a 60 dollars sandcastle), you promise an amazing 2 feet tall state of the art sand castle and all you deliver is wet sand thrown on itself, it's not that the buyer is a bully; It's you who is a shitty sandcastle builder.

So take responsabilities for your terrible games. You should be saying "I'm sorry" to your paid customers, not "Haters gonna hate."

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Dynast Brass said:
Loonyyy said:
Dynast Brass said:
Could you not? I mean seriously, could you GGers not do this? It's an incredibly annoying derail, meant to start more petty bullshit. In fact, several of the people involved in various slap fights are in this very thread, condemning Pitchford. Hell, I don't think I've read a single post in support of him(Ok, maybe one, and it didn't mention GG). So could you please not?
I always find it's very helpful to read the posts I'm replying to; it helps me avoid mistakes like you just made, thinking I'm a "GG'er" when I'm not. Thanks you for skimming what I said and then responding though, and also for assuming the worst of me.
You probably shouldn't be derailing the thread with GG stuff.

OT: Oh Randy, you so silly. Come talk again when you make a good game that isn't Borderlands.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Dynast Brass said:
Loonyyy said:
Dynast Brass said:
I always find it's very helpful to read the posts I'm replying to; it helps me avoid mistakes like you just made, thinking I'm a "GG'er" when I'm not.
I did actually. You're talking about this GG shite. So I'm calling it what it is. I know you have a barely concealed contempt for Gamergate, and spend most of your time posting with GG users antagonistically. And that's just as much part of the problem. And you brought it into an unrelated thread. You couldn't even find someone to quote to bring it in, because no-one was talking GG stuff. Except you. You brought it in, and it's unnecessary. It's pointlessly aiming to start fights and arguments. You can already see the stuff starting. What purpose does that serve? Hell, people on all manner of side of that particular, overdone debate, were posting in almost in solidarity against Pitchford's frankly moronic comments.
Thanks you for skimming what I said and then responding though,
See, speaking of mistakes.
and also for assuming the worst of me.
There are worse things than GGers. The most annoying thing about GG stuff is the GG stuff. And you just tried to bring it in. Which makes your posting indistinguishable from theirs. At best, you are the bait that lures in the GG talk. Even the users on this forum who post in support of GG (And I also am not a fan of that, for the record), kept it to the topic, and were largely critical of Pitchford (Which of course, you ignored, to target a buzzword which would create controversy and strife).

But yeah, I did call you a GGer. If the boot fits. Can't think you'd be much a fan of it, but I thought it was the best way to convey the message. Because that's what this sort of posting looks like to others. I'm not assuming anything of you. This is how you present yourself on the forum, and this is how I see it. I'm not interested in making assumptions about your positions, or your character. I'm interested in the posts, and what you did there was entirely unnecessary.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
I guess when in doubt, whine about the customers and never admit the fuck up was on you. A shame, I really loved Borderlands two, but the latest one was crap, and between that and a number of other issues, I sort of doubt I will buy anothe gearbox game if they keep up this path. Randy being so unprofessional does help me not feel bad about it though.

Captcha: role model

You cheeky devil captcha.

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I find it interesting that this one opinion was echoed like 3 times in this article, but he's absolutely right. That doesn't make him any less of a nightmare to work with, and any more justified in releasing those games in the clearly broken state they were in. So if he's just mad at the few people who called him out, than fair enough, he still didn't release a great game.

To paraphrase Jim Sterling, I'd like to see how that kind of game would do now that steam refunds is a thing.

Mazinger-Z

Aug 3, 2011
crimson5pheonix said:
Dynast Brass said:
Loonyyy said:
Dynast Brass said:
I always find it's very helpful to read the posts I'm replying to; it helps me avoid mistakes like you just made, thinking I'm a "GG'er" when I'm not. Thanks you for skimming what I said and then responding though, and also for assuming the worst of me.

OT: Oh Randy, you so silly. Come talk again when you make a good game that isn't Borderlands.
I wasn't even a fan of the series. I thought the concept had merit but was poorly executed. The writing was ok. Warframe does it better as a shoot things, collect shit, role-based shooter.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Mazinger-Z said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Dynast Brass said:
Loonyyy said:
Dynast Brass said:

I wasn't even a fan of the series. I thought the concept had merit but was poorly executed. The writing was ok. Warframe does it better as a shoot things, collect shit, role-based shooter.
I liked the style it had and the fact it didn't take itself very seriously.

ScaredIndie

Guy who makes gamey things
Oct 21, 2014
I've never understood the approach they took with CM. If you lie about your product you will almost always be called on it. It is unbelievable that no one in their entire company who had any control over this project understood that.