Gearbox Remembers Late Fan With Touching Borderlands 2 Tribute

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
I may not be a huge fan of borderlands but i take my hat off to gearbox and i make a pledge now that i will always consider buying whatever they release and never shall i pirate a gearbox game if i decide not to buy it.

edit: Holy crap was that ps3 thing really to him? Im curious now...because it might have been the push i needed to care about sony again.

Relnik

Oct 5, 2010
Its comforting to know that not all game companies are soulless sacks of tits.

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
*raises glass*
Having lost family this year I find this to be a great thing.
Sadly, I'm just thinking of how this will get forgotten underneath a wave a BS about violence and sexuality destroying our children from various news sources. *sigh*

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
First they help some guy propose and now they tribute a lost fan they didn't even know.

You can really see the people behind the game in this one, and not just ordinary people. Good honest respectful people. People that these days our world is lacking. I tip my hat to the people who did this.

I-Protest-I

Nov 7, 2009
I'm buying the most expensive edition I can of this game in appreciation of what they did, good job Gearbox.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Gearbox has been very good about this kind of stuff. With the first Borderlands they had a marriage proposal if you guys don't remember, and they were very good about DNF pre-orders and playing with the fans, and all that jazz. Just wish DNF was more open to mods and whatnot, then they would have made a lot of people unhappy with the game happy with what users create.

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
I'd definitely like to know if the Sony ad is also a memorial, as people seem to be suggesting in this thread, I haven't been able to find anything that supports that.

That said, Gearbox just earned some serious fan loyalty from me on this one. I'm buying their next game, even if I have no intention of playing it, if only to support their continued humanity and not falling into the "this a business" mantra that makes so many game companies look like complete douchebags.

CpnChaos

Sep 20, 2010
Man, I teared up after hearing it, and I know I will tear up again when I find the NPC in the game.

And I don't care if I tell that to the Internet.

Hat Man

Nov 18, 2009
Personally I'd be frustrated by this.

It's like a dream come true, except you can't enjoy it because you're dead!

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
kajinking said:
Don't cry, don't cry...deadly mercs armed with laser cannons and shotgun sniper rifles don't cry...
*places hand on the deadly mercs shoulder*

"Just let it out, the laser cannons won't think any less of you."

OT: It always makes me feel good when a gaming company does something for a member of the community with no reason to do so. Will definitely keep an eye out for Mamaril in the wastelands.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
it was a touching speech from them and they won more coolness points
btw the people still mentioning duke nukem get over it it was dead at year 5 of development and it's hard to make a game without rebuilding it from the ground up (plus it's more 3d realms development don't know why gearbox gets the blame for making it suck)

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Gearbox never really registered on my radar at all before. But THIS. THIS is what I will think of when I think of Gearbox from now on. Now I feel almost obligated to buy Borderlands 1 or 2 simply out of respect for them.

I raise my glass to Gearbox--and respectfully leave some of it on Michael's grave. Rest in peace, my gaming brother.

Taddy

Jan 28, 2010
Rest in peace mate, another good person that died before their time. Now if you don't mind, i have many tears that are building up, so if you'll excuse me...

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'm very glad to hear that they did this; it seems like a really heartfelt outpouring of sympathy, and I commend them.

Forgive me for making a tangentially related point, though: this is part of the reason things like games that always require online verification or always-on network connections from the first time they're installed both scare and frustrate me.

We have here a truly beautiful example of people who normally stand largely apathetic to one another's existence across the boundary of the customer/creator business relationship reaching out to one another and recognizing each other's humanity. And a chance for a life lost too soon to truly achieve something like immortality.

Doesn't it seem truly unfair that such a thing might be lost forever because a server was shut down?

I think many of us would feel outrage if the work of Mark Twain or Sylvia Plath or William Shakespeare was lost to us because it was no longer in a holder's financial interest to maintain its existence. If we really believe this medium has its own intrinsic value- even if we don't believe that value as high as that of poets, writers, directors- it seems like a real wrongdoing to permit access to it to be lost forever once a short window of financial viability is closed. It seems grotesque to deny people who have poured their heart and soul into a game the same immortality when arguably a digital copy ought to be even easier to preserve than some eminently corruptible piece of paper.

Just my thoughts. Anyway... Again, good for Gearbox for reaching out to a fan. It gives one hope for an industry that often seems happy to deal with the business as one of products and customers, rather than as experiences and people.

Reveras

Nov 9, 2009
Gearbox are so awesome with these situations. They help fans and appreciate them so much. I still remember the ClapTrap vid made to help a guy ask his girlfriend to marry him. Just amazing developers. Cheers.

surg3n

May 16, 2011
That's so cool. Borderlands is an amazing game, in fact I don't remember a game that made me laugh so much with the NPC dialogue.

Its nice to buy games from developers that actually give a shit about their fans.