Gender challenge

Nov 28, 2007
Lunar Templar said:
my vote goes to.....

cause the mess that's Other M a side, she's still the best example of a strong female character, yes there's the skin tight Zero Suit, but how often to we see that in actually game play?
Damn you, ninjas! But I have to agree. Since she is stolen, however, and I want to give someone new, I'll say Tali'Zorah vas Normandy nar Rayya, from Mass Effect. While she is feminine in figure (something the in-game characters mention often), there is nothing feminine about her character, persay. Sure, there is the romance with Shepard, but even that is less like a female falling for a big, strong man, and more like someone getting attracted to their rescuer, something that could easily be done with genders swapped, or even genders the same.

Plus, she is no more sexualized than the male quarians.

As for the second question...I've got nothing. But then, that's because I don't have much insight to the female or gay male sense of mind. I'm bi, but that is different, and I am horrible at social cues, so I don't get "hints".

Edit: I have another one for the first question, that of Aveline from Dragon Age II. She's attractive, in the Amazon Beauty sense, and she isn't noticeably...curvy, persay, though that could just be the armor. As for feminine...she is anything but. I'm not saying she is like a male character, but she certainly isn't a dainty white mage. She is a warrior who is a beast with a sword and shield, and actually falls completely apart when trying to be feminine and wooing a man.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
thebobmaster said:
Lunar Templar said:
my vote goes to.....

cause the mess that's Other M a side, she's still the best example of a strong female character, yes there's the skin tight Zero Suit, but how often to we see that in actually game play?
Damn you, ninjas! But I have to agree.
haha! all those mail order ninja classes have finally paid off!!

Zachary Amaranth said:
And let's face it, Samus was kicking ass well before the Zero Suit existed.
eeyup, and kicking ass before we all really knew she was a 'she' to, cause if memory serves, the instruction booklet for Metriod lied about her gender

Apr 28, 2008
Well I can't give you pretty, but I can give you what I believe to be the best female character in gaming. Period.

Kreia, from KOTOR 2.

Nov 28, 2007
Lunar Templar said:
thebobmaster said:
Lunar Templar said:
my vote goes to.....

Damn you, ninjas! But I have to agree.
haha! all those mail order ninja classes have finally paid off!!

Zachary Amaranth said:
And let's face it, Samus was kicking ass well before the Zero Suit existed.
eeyup, and kicking ass before we all really knew she was a 'she' to, cause if memory serves, the instruction booklet for Metriod lied about her gender
To be fair to the instruction booklet writers, that was an accident. It was supposedly pretty late in development when one of the developers said, "Say, wouldn't it be funny if it turned out there was a woman under there?" and history was made. If so, the booklet may have been already written and printed.

Though my source of info is TV Tropes, so take it with a grain of salt.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
thebobmaster said:
To be fair to the instruction booklet writers, that was an accident. It was supposedly pretty late in development when one of the developers said, "Say, wouldn't it be funny if it turned out there was a woman under there?" and history was made. If so, the booklet may have been already written and printed.

Though my source of info is TV Tropes, so take it with a grain of salt.
so, they where trolling us ether way. ether the typo is intentional or its a last minute sprite change to screw with people

i approve :D

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Challenge one: Jen Tate from Primal

Challenge 2: Yuri, Kurando, Nicholas, Joachim, all of them from Shadow Hearts:Covenant.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
1: I always liked Farrah from Tales of Eternia.
I would like to point out that whenever anyone asks for strong female characters in games, the examples brought up are usually tomboys. I mean what is that really saying, that girls can only be respectable if they act like boys?

2: It's fairly easy to find a male character that's attractive to women, but obviously gay men and women aren't going to have the same tastes, and I don't necessarily know what that'll prove. Anyway I'm going to say Sanada Yukimura and Date Masamune from Sengoku Basara.

Alakaizer

Aug 1, 2008
I'll post the same thing here I posted in another thread, possibly one of mine. Hold on, I'll check

...Can't find it. Oh well.

Tifa Lockheart, FF7. She easily keeps up with the rest of the gang damage-wise, owns her own bar, is a surrogate mother to a little girl, attractive, yet reasonably proportioned.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Alakaizer said:
Tifa Lockheart, FF7. She easily keeps up with the rest of the gang damage-wise, owns her own bar, is a surrogate mother to a little girl, attractive, yet reasonably proportioned.
Are we talking about the same person?

OT - Definitely Alyx Vance for #1.

Agent 47 for #2. No idea why.

captcha - full tilt. So close to being utterly perfect.

lord canti

May 30, 2009
Challenge 1: The Boss from MGS3, Jade from BG&E,Naoto from Persona 4.
Challenge 2:Snake of MGS, Yuri fom tales of vesparia,Kanji from persona 4.

7thHanyou

Jun 7, 2011
1: Alis Landale from the original Phantasy Star. To an extent, Alys from the sequel, Phantasy Star IV. Why aren't these characters brought up more often?

2: I have no idea.

Ranylyn

Nov 5, 2010
1. Find an empowering female video game character that's somewhat pretty, yet not unrealistically and overpoweringly sexy, with no negative implications of femininity or clichés.

Chie Satonaka (Persona 4.)

Disclaimer: I actually don't like Chie as much as most people. I'm one of those vocal anti-Chies who had absurd accuracy issues where she'd only hit 1-2 out of 5 enemies with a multitarget attacks, and I also found her social link to be not that interesting. But I kinda like her in a way. Just not in the capacity as her fanboys.

You might argue that she fights in a skirt which is sexist, but the thing is, it's her school uniform. I was surprised to learn this back in high school, but many schools anally enforce "you MUST wear your uniform until you get home" and give detentions or worse to offenders, so the cast wearing their uniforms into battle isn't quite as stupid when you consider that... And even then, she has shorts underneath, so it's not that bad. If anything, as a fan of kung-fu who trains a lot and favors her feet in combat, this skin between the socks and the shorts actually shows off well toned legs, which makes her more appealing without being piggishly sexist.

The game makes a point about her being pretty. She has her own fan club of sorts, despite Yukiko's being bigger. But the reason she fits this category is her personality, by far. She's always been standing up for various reasons, such as "The Vanguard of the Lunch Revolution" (which probably just meant she wanted steak on the menu, but hey, protein is kind of a must for a martial artist!) But more than that, she stares a small gang down and declines resisting since she fears they'll hurt her best friend. She's got balls. And not just the ones on her chest.

Don't get me wrong. I still don't ship her with the protagonist or ever use her in battle anymore (even before a full party, leaving her behind means more exp for the rest,) but despite her relatively bland social link compared to some others, if you look at the cast based solely on their merits in the main story, she's not bad at all.

2. Find a sexualized male video game character that caters to both the male and female sexual fantasy.

This is a harder one for all the wrong reasons. Thing is, I'm comfortable in my heterosexuality and I can comfortably judge whether a man is handsome or not - by a woman's standards. Largely since I spend so much time around women. But I can't really get into the mindset of a gay man to judge a character.

I'm taking a glance around at my game library, and honestly, I can't find any good examples. This is largely due to a looong period of unemployment and my game collection literally being 1/3 of what it used to be. But the thing is, most of my games are now family friendly since I babysit (what happens if I'm playing something like Duke Nukem Forever when my Nephew wakes up with a nightmare and comes to get me? Oh crap, right?) As such, being left with games like Atelier Totori/Meruru, Rune Factory, etc, doesn't leave me much in the way of actual "sexualized" characters, just male characters that my female friends find very hot, like Rex in Agarest 1 (admittedly not one of the more child friendly ones.)

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Aris Khandr said:
Wait. Cammy is ridiculously proportioned?

IMG SNIP

Cammy White? Are you sure about this?
Yes, her. Why? Muscular and large boobs. Muscular women generally don't have large boobs. Her waist is also below a size 0, or at least a size 0. Her thighs are ridiculously wide, giving her too rounded a figure. And then there's the swimsuit-shaped-body-paint-that-should-pass-for-clothes outfit of course.

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
Seeing as Samus has already been named, I'm calling on Tetra.

Badass leader of pirates and a child, so if you think she's sexy there's something wrong.

As for a sexualised male, well, I'm a straight guy so I'm not versed in what gay guys find attractive.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Relish in Chaos said:
1. Find an empowering female video game character that's somewhat pretty, yet not unrealistically and overpoweringly sexy, with no negative implications of femininity or clichés.
2. Find a sexualized male video game character that caters to both the male and female sexual fantasy.
Hmm for the first I'd go with Alyx from Half Life, for the second I'd go with Dante from Devil May Cry (circa DMC4, loving that beard). I think they meet all the criteria pretty much perfectly.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Relish in Chaos said:
*pricks up ears* A thread about sexy male video game characters?

The most obvious ones that spring to mind are Dante (Devil May Cry 4) and Zevran (Dragon Age: Origins). Dante has one of the most sexually explicit (and wonderfully cheesy) monologues I've heard in a video game, in which he describes to an imaginary woman how he's going to have sex with her. (He ends by throwing a rose towards the camera as a giant stone tablet forms a heart shape.) And Zevran seems to exist entirely to chat up the player character (whatever their gender), layering on the compliments and innuendoes.

Although I'm not a fan myself, Cloud Strife (FFVII) has a massive female following, as does Vincent Valentine (the name says it all really!) from the same game. And Solid Snake (Metal Gear Solid series) often gets brought up in these discussion because of his facial hair and tight outfits. Personally, my favourite beard-wearing hunk is Adam Jensen (Deus Ex: Human Revolution) who possesses one of the sexiest (and most gravelly) voices in video gaming.

Much of the male cast of Soul Calibur 4 should also get a mention. My personal favourite is Kilik (don't judge me), but that game is good for eye-candy in general.

Oh, and not forgetting that Altair and Ezio (Assassin's Creed series) are both modelled on the gorgeous Francisco Randez, a French-Canadian fashion model.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
The first one is easy as pie.
Kaori Sanada From Last Blade 2.
She just wears normal Samurai Clothes and looks like a normal samurai, I didn't even realize she was a woman until I beat the game, though to be fair that may be because she's pretending to be her brother and when you select her the tag says Kojiroh.

Hibiki Takane Also from Last Blade 2.
Unlike Kaori you can easily tell she is a woman, but again her clothing is a normal robe, she also gets some cool extras since she's supposed to be the only character in the game that has never fought before, but she knows how to fight because she practised ceremonial and ritualistic sword dancing, anyway when you beat a character she gets worried about his opponent because he's now injured, but if kill them instead she just panics, because she's never killed before, but if you keep killing them she eventually gets used to it and is just serious when she kills, this does give you a different ending BTW, I just said that because I thought it was a neat detail that probably most people are going to miss, damn I love that game so much.

As for you're other question, well I don't quite get it, so I'm not sure what to answer.

Ascend

Mar 14, 2012
1.Ginny from starwish.(it is a flash game)
Without giving away much , she saves your life and is your engineer.She wears normal clothes for a mechanic/engineer so nothing there.
2.Tychus Findlay from Starcraft 2.