General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This will fill a void in the western themed action genre nicely. I wonder if it was at all inspired by GoW, since the melee combat looks somewhat similar. The addition of guns adds a whole new layer though too.
More than likely. There's too much there to be coincidence. This isn't too surprising, as we already have games like Godfall and Flintlock coming out later next year respectively. The only difference is that this is more third person shooter focus.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

Can’t say I’m disappointed. I get why they were a thing for a while, to encourage experimentation and variety. But it ultimately just feels like fragmenting a character’s features and therefore unnecessary.

I’d rather just have well tuned move sets, so you feel like you’re actual learning a complete character vs a mere “variation” of one.

As for Fatal Blows, short of ditching them completely, it would be preferable if they were highly situational and only available to end a match with. Kinda like brutalities but I suppose geared towards more casual play if needed due to the games’s growing popularity. Maybe even disable them for tournaments or ranked matches.

The next MK really needs to get back to basics, and focus on expanding the core mechanics and doing away with frivolous shit like Konsumables.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Can’t say I’m disappointed. I get why they were a thing for a while, to encourage experimentation and variety. But it ultimately just feels like fragmenting a character’s features and therefore unnecessary.

I’d rather just have well tuned move sets, so you feel like you’re actual learning a complete character vs a mere “variation” of one.

As for Fatal Blows, short of ditching them completely, it would be preferable if they were highly situational and only available to end a match with. Kinda like brutalities but I suppose geared towards more casual play if needed due to the games’s growing popularity. Maybe even disable them for tournaments or ranked matches.

The next MK really needs to get back to basics, and focus on expanding the core mechanics and doing away with frivolous shit like Konsumables.
Most people didn't like the variations, cuz it felt like they're just taking away movesets and putting them in another spot. Because most of the time, people are just going to pick the best variation and stick with it, and do little experimentation. Max and the crew constantly had problems with this. Streamlining the moves and putting in what works best, is better than that whole three variation thing again.

Last edited:
Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Most people didn't like the variations, cuz it felt like they're just taking away movesets and putting them in another spot. Because most of the time, people are just going to pee the best variation and stick with it, and do little experimentation. Max and the crew constantly had problems with this. Streamlining the moves and putting in what works best, is better than that whole three variation thing again.
I think the more vocal complaints from people like Max outweighed the benefits the feature ever brought, and it’s a good sign that EB made a specific statement about being time to move on from them.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

@CriticalGaming love to hear your thoughts on this
I legit forgot this was even a thing until I read this.

Then I remembered it being announced at which point it seemed to vanish into the fucking aether.

Granted it being a battle royale might mean my brain just ignores it, and that's on me.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I would actually pay good money to see this. Imagine live-action necromorphs with all the crazy practical and special effects of the thing.
the AV Club interview, Carpenter said he enjoyed all the Dead Space games, even Dead Space 3. This game was criticized, by some, for leaning too far into the action category, but Carpenter said he enjoyed this game, the one "nobody else liked."
It would make sense Carpenter would enjoy the third game. Especially when you get to the snow planet. That whole game was just one big Carpenter shout out. I do know if he ever got the chance to make the film, either EA or one of the movie studios (let's say Universal), would force him to use CGI, even when it's not needed.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I legit forgot this was even a thing until I read this.

Then I remembered it being announced at which point it seemed to vanish into the fucking aether.

Granted it being a battle royale might mean my brain just ignores it, and that's on me.
I never played it, but they pumped a lot of seasons and battle pass bullshit into the game from what I saw and I simply think people weren't buying it the way they had hoped.

I think the problem is that they announced First Soldier with the other FF7 game called Ever Crisis. Ever Crisis is a mobile remake of the entire FF7 story using the traditional Ps1 set up (pre-rendered backgrounds, same story, etc etc) with a bit of a modern battle system. So EC is the game everyone wanted and nobody gives a fuck about some random dumbass BR game.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Reactions: Dalisclock

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Unless your name is Dr Disrespect and his other crony pals on Twitter who play Fortnite or War Zone 24/7. Everyone one of them claiming a game needs a battle royale, or it will die.
No Disrespect, but I only know who that guy is because he thought it would be cool filming people taking a shit. Which I guess means his name makes sense.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I musta missed this, if it was already posted earlier -

It’s sounding good if they can pull all this off, and with no MTX bs.
I dunno, it's EA. Smells like a trap to me.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010