General Gaming News.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia

I have been in a pit like that, and not just jumping off a platform but off a damn trampoline that launched me up about six additional feet above the pit and I landed in it safe as houses. Me and twenty other kids. We went hog wild for hours and not a single injury occurred.

I hope Twitch gets fucking reamed for millions over this.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Yeah, I call bs on that one. Considering Fortnite is farting out new skins every other week.
Nah, I'll believe it, in that these moronic skins taking a year to make is a sign of piss-poor time management and prioritization.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Yeah, I call bs on that one. Considering Fortnite is farting out new skins every other week.
That is the fucking funniest thing I've seen all day. I know he's just trying to hype it up or justify whatever bullshit price they're charging for it, but what a self-own. If he's lying then he's a dipshit, if he's not he just revealed how woefully inefficient he and his colleagues are at their jobs.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I have been in a pit like that, and not just jumping off a platform but off a damn trampoline that launched me up about six additional feet above the pit and I landed in it safe as houses. Me and twenty other kids. We went hog wild for hours and not a single injury occurred.

I hope Twitch gets fucking reamed for millions over this.
How old were you and what type of foam blocks did they have? I’d imagine body mass/weight coupled with too high foam density played a big part in these injuries.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
How old were you and what type of foam blocks did they have? I’d imagine body mass/weight coupled with too high foam density played a big part in these injuries.
I was about ten, from memory - hazy that it is - the foam blocks were about 10x10x10cm but I couldn’t tell you what sort, but it felt like the sort of foam out of a mattress. I’m also pretty sure the pit was at least as deep as the deep end of a commercial swimming pool and that usually means 1.8 - 2.0m deep.

Look I can give some sway to Twitch since they clearly set up a temporary thing whereas what I’m talking about was a permanent, purpose built installation. But if my reading of the situation is even half on point the organisers fucked up at the very least by allowing the injury count to go higher than one.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Nah, I'll believe it, in that these moronic skins taking a year to make is a sign of piss-poor time management and prioritization.
I mean when you only work 15 minutes a day inbetween cube crawls and binge drinking, and playing WoW at your desk, I could see why it takes so long for Blizzard to fucking do anything.

That mentality is also why the only game they've launched in the last few years is the same fucking game they released in 2015.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I mean when you only work 15 minutes a day inbetween cube crawls and binge drinking, and playing WoW at your desk, I could see why it takes so long for Blizzard to fucking do anything.

That mentality is also why the only game they've launched in the last few years is the same fucking game they released in 2015.
Actually for my money while a year might be taking the piss, I’d believe that creating them takes up to six months. I mean first of all the theme has to be decided, then the various creatives get to work on it. I mean you’re a writer as bit of a side hustle: you tell me how it long it can take to get a chapter done. So let’s assume we get a few artists working head down, bum up on it for six weeks to produce as many possibilities for the design as possible in as many poses as they can think off. Then there’s gonna be two weeks or so of meetings to review what’s been submitted and either one design is so magnificent it’s chosen immediately or stuff gets sent back with comments like “Make it 20% more awesome” or “What about this colour scheme” etc.

Like you say, 12 months is a farce, but 2-6 months depending I’d believe. Although the stuff worked on for six months better be fuckin’ amazing

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Actually for my money while a year might be taking the piss, I’d believe that creating them takes up to six months.
Yeah, if you add in the multiple selection, approval and correction phases... the actual work cranking out a fully skinned and rigged-for-animation character model from the concept art should still be *about* 3 days, give or take based on complexity of the job and the anal retentiveness of the AD/CD.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here is more of that game from ex-Ninja Gaiden developers. It looks like what the original Devil's Third was supposed to be. Looks interesting. Please don't do what ass-face Itigaki did and go for Gears style regeneration health. I want an actual health bar, please!

Wanted: Dead

For those curious. This was the original Devil's Third.
I forgot about Wanted: Dead. Definetly looks improved from last time. WD comes out soon, February 14th. I was expecting Spring of 2023. This game is really looking like Devil's Third, but better and what it was originally supposed to be. The combat while over-the-top is more grounded compared to the usual DMC or Ninja Gaiden affair. The implementation of 3rd person shooting looks smooth and better than you know what.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
. I mean you’re a writer as bit of a side hustle: you tell me how it long it can take to get a chapter done.
HOLY SHIT! Nobody has ever called me a writer before. Thank you my dude. I really appreciate that, truly.

To answer the question, it depends what I'm writing and whether I know what's up. For example if i am trying to come up with a story concept from scratch out the gate then a Chapter can take a day or two because it can depend on inspiration and whatnot there are some factors.

However let's say I have Chapter 1 complete and I'm moving onto 2, 3, 4 etc etc. Those next chapters I can finish in a couple hours a piece. When i am inspired I can pump out 50+ pages in a day easily.

So let's apply that to the Overwatch devs, we aren't talk about new characters we are talking about skins. That is literally just coming up with an alternate costume for a character. Like change the robot D'Va rides or making Phara's armor different. It really shouldn't be that hard considering these people working at Blizzard are artists and they have portfolios and lots of experience under their belt. Not the mention that the art team typically has fuck-all to do during development once the core game assets are finished.

This means that while production is fixing game balance, working out bugs, finalizing the details of the game at the end. The only thing the art team can do is make new skins for shit. If they want to claim a skin for a character took a whole fucking year? That means their art team is one guy and that one guy is Milton from Office Space.

Reactions: thestor

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
HOLY SHIT! Nobody has ever called me a writer before. Thank you my dude. I really appreciate that, truly.

To answer the question, it depends what I'm writing and whether I know what's up. For example if i am trying to come up with a story concept from scratch out the gate then a Chapter can take a day or two because it can depend on inspiration and whatnot there are some factors.

However let's say I have Chapter 1 complete and I'm moving onto 2, 3, 4 etc etc. Those next chapters I can finish in a couple hours a piece. When i am inspired I can pump out 50+ pages in a day easily.

So let's apply that to the Overwatch devs, we aren't talk about new characters we are talking about skins. That is literally just coming up with an alternate costume for a character. Like change the robot D'Va rides or making Phara's armor different. It really shouldn't be that hard considering these people working at Blizzard are artists and they have portfolios and lots of experience under their belt. Not the mention that the art team typically has fuck-all to do during development once the core game assets are finished.

This means that while production is fixing game balance, working out bugs, finalizing the details of the game at the end. The only thing the art team can do is make new skins for shit. If they want to claim a skin for a character took a whole fucking year? That means their art team is one guy and that one guy is Milton from Office Space.
No I agree with you; 12 months is taking the piss unless part of the spit and polish is putting it over the existing rig and meticulously eliminating clipping and collision issues and testing all the physics of the dangly bits.

*looks at WoW where hair still clips through new armours*

Which is unlikely; but of course unlike your good self the artists at Blizz do have a limited time frame for which they can apply to the job and be paid though undoubtedly some of the real firebrands work on it at home for love of the art. And at worst your book passes by an editor to catch mistakes and a lawyer to make sure you don’t libel someone. This stuff probably has to go through a few committees and boards.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
TLOU Part I voted best new game of September

Don't bother with the article, I just happened upon it on Facebook. Made me think though, it feels like Sony is working 24/7 to make people forget the clusterfuck that happened with Part II. 75% of the posts I see from PlayStation are about TLOU.
Best what now!?

As the British would say, someone is taking a huge amount of piss.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
https://www.videogameschronicle.com...nys-complaints-over-activision-blizzard-deal/

@CriticalGaming

Neat.
Fucking good. Look as much as i love ff7, i mever touched that pile of shit battle royal game. Talk about some ass that nobody ever asked for.