General Gaming News.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
You'll get used to it. Luis looks awesome.

More noticeable and awesome things:
  • Leon's knife has durability and can be leveled up. The knife can be used to parry attacks.​
  • Like in RE5, you can stab enemies on the ground, a la button prompt.​
  • Leon can actually run and crouch. There is now a stealth system, and I am getting Evil Within vibes from it.​
  • Serious and creepy as fuck. I love it.​
  • Dr. Salvador looks even more fucked up. He's gonna cause a new generation of nightmares.​
It also looks like enemies (in this case Dr. Salvador) can wreck things in the environment to bar certain passages and maybe doorways, stopping your run-and-gun tactics. And it seems they might try to play off fan expectation in the same way REmake and RE2 Remake did, because while some scenery looks totally new others look exactly the same.

Also, Leon just set a blimmin' cow on fire. Damn son!

Reactions: BrawlMan

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Videogameschronicle.com has a report of some devs whining about how the Series S XBox is holding back development.
(Sorry I can't access/link to it on this computer at work).

But I just wanna say... no, f*** that. These are the consoles we have, developer for them, don't whine about the hardware. Or don't make it for one console, whatever. Yeah yeah, it takes more work to make it work on multiple boxes, boo-hoo, we've had PC's for decades, whatever. Or just cap it to 30fps on S and 60fps on X or whatever.

I love my Series S, it is small and affordable and let's my use GamePass on my 1080p. We S people understand we got the lesser graphics box, we're fine with it.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Videogameschronicle.com has a report of some devs whining about how the Series S XBox is holding back development.

But I just wanna say... no, f*** that. These are the consoles we have, developer for them, don't whine about the hardware. Or don't make it for one console, whatever. Yeah yeah, it takes more work to make it work on multiple boxes, boo-hoo, we've had PC's for decades, whatever. Or just cap it to 30fps on S and 60fps on X or whatever.

I love my Series S, it is small and affordable and let's my use GamePass on my 1080p. We S people understand we got the lesser graphics box, we're fine with it.
It's almost like spliting the userbase with consoles of different capabilities was a bad idea. Who could have ever seen that coming?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Honestly, it's not that different from the PS3 problems. That console was super hard develop for, and Sony didn't make it easy on anybody and were acting like asses about it. The blame still lies on Microsoft for splitting the console users in two bases. Just make one box and be done with it. This criticism applies to Sony as well.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
This criticism applies to Sony as well.
At least both consoles are the same in terms of specs. I could understand disc drive versus digital only for people who just want a slightly cheaper machine. I wouldn't do digital only, but i guess people do it these days. *old man voice*

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
At least both consoles are the same in terms of specs. I could understand disc drive versus digital only for people who just want a slightly cheaper machine. I wouldn't do digital only, but i guess people do it these days. *old man voice*
I know sometimes people don't have the space in their homes, but it's usually a made-up excuse. The excuses usually boil down to either "I don't need the physical version, if it's available. What's the worst that can happen if I just have the digital version?", or they've had really bad experiences with second-hand retailers and GameStop. The last one is really understandable, but it sucks so many people have GameStop horror stories (Pat and Woolie for example). The GameStop's in my area are usually cool, no the one that opened up in 2006 started super rough and didn't get better till the mid 2010s.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
Well I don't need the physical version of games AND I appreciate the cheaper and smaller console option that Microsoft offered so, I guess, I am of a different mindset then you guys about this.
In my defense the flip side is if a game dev says look our game is so fancy and powerful it won't work on the Series S only the X, I would totally support and understand that. What's stupid is that devs are complaining that they HAVE to make it work S which is either shame on Microsoft if they make that a requirement to put it on their online store OR shame on the devs for acting like that.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

The devs do have a point. They have to push things eventually and it’s the reason we won’t see many cross-gen games going forward, or why PC games still have min hardware requirements.

Maybe Microsoft should’ve just made S a dedicated Gamepass machine.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well I don't need the physical version of games
That's usually how it starts. You won't believe how many people I've met that said, "I don't need a physical version." Yet when the game is no longer available online, because the servers went down, the developer and/or publisher went down, or a publisher lost the licensing rights, then they tend to go into a panic. Or they'll play it off like it's not a big deal, but they don't want to admit they care more for the game than they should and wished they got the physical version.

All of us have seen this time and time again. If you're happy with your purchasing decision, I can't change that nor do I have a problem with it. Not everybody has perfect internet, and you don't actually own the game. You hold a key to the game. If the game gets removed from digital stores, and you didn't purchase it, then you are SOL. Even then, if something happens to your console or the memory gets wiped, then good luck purchasing it again unless there's a physical version. And a lot of these games don't have physical versions. I am blessed that more indie games and AA games are getting physical releases, either simultaneously or later down the line. I do hate the double dipping aspect, but I'll take what I can get over nothing.

Last edited:

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
And that's usually how it starts. You won't believe how many people I've met that said that I don't need a physical version. Yet when the game is no longer available online, because the service went down, the developer publisher went down, or a publisher lost a licensing rights, then they tend to go into a panic. Or they'll play it off like it's not a big deal, but they don't want to admit they care more for the game than they should have and they wish they got the physical version.

All of us have seen this time and time again. If you're happy with your purchasing decision I can't change that nor do I have a problem with it. Not everybody has perfect internet, and you don't actually own the game. You hold a key to the game. If the game gets removed from digital stores, and you didn't purchase it, then you are SOL. Even then, if something happens to your console or the memory gets wiped, then good luck purchasing it again unless there's a physical version. And a lot of these games don't have physical versions. I am blessed that more indie games and AA games are getting physical releases, either simultaneously or later down the line. I do hate the double dipping aspect, but I'll take what I can get over nothing.
This is partly the reason why I don't gaming on PC much anymore. I have 300 games on steam but those are going to vanish eventually and i'll never be able to play them, at least officially. But they don't make physical PC games anymore, so i moved to console especially since the margins of performance between console and PC are so small unless you have a $5000 rig that it makes no difference otherwise.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
And that's usually how it starts. You won't believe how many people I've met that said that I don't need a physical version. Yet when the game is no longer available online, because the service went down, the developer publisher went down, or a publisher lost a licensing rights, then they tend to go into a panic. Or they'll play it off like it's not a big deal, but they don't want to admit they care more for the game than they should have and they wish they got the physical version.

All of us have seen this time and time again. If you're happy with your purchasing decision I can't change that nor do I have a problem with it. Not everybody has perfect internet, and you don't actually own the game. You hold a key to the game. If the game gets removed from digital stores, and you didn't purchase it, then you are SOL. Even then, if something happens to your console or the memory gets wiped, then good luck purchasing it again unless there's a physical version. And a lot of these games don't have physical versions. I am blessed that more indie games and AA games are getting physical releases, either simultaneously or later down the line. I do hate the double dipping aspect, but I'll take what I can get over nothing.

The line gets blurrier on the PC side of things though, where often times digital is the only way to go. This was probably inevitable though, and Steam/GoG have so far been the most reliable alternative to physical copies.

*edit* just noticed @CriticalGaming elaborated on the worse aspects more too.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is partly the reason why I don't gaming on PC much anymore. I have 300 games on steam but those are going to vanish eventually and i'll never be able to play them, at least officially. But they don't make physical PC games anymore, so i moved to console especially since the margins of performance between console and PC are so small unless you have a $5000 rig that it makes no difference otherwise.
The line gets blurrier on the PC side of things though, where often times digital is the only way to go. This was probably inevitable though, and Steam/GoG have so far been the most reliable alternative to physical copies.

*edit* just noticed @CriticalGaming elaborated on the worse aspects more too.
When it comes to Steam, I only purchase small games; mostly 2D games. I think I have about 10 or 11 games total on my Steam page.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
That's usually how it starts. You won't believe how many people I've met that said, "I don't need a physical version." Yet when the game is no longer available online, because the servers went down, the developer and/or publisher went down, or a publisher lost the licensing rights, then they tend to go into a panic. Or they'll play it off like it's not a big deal, but they don't want to admit they care more for the game than they should and wished they got the physical version.

All of us have seen this time and time again. If you're happy with your purchasing decision, I can't change that nor do I have a problem with it. Not everybody has perfect internet, and you don't actually own the game. You hold a key to the game. If the game gets removed from digital stores, and you didn't purchase it, then you are SOL. Even then, if something happens to your console or the memory gets wiped, then good luck purchasing it again unless there's a physical version. And a lot of these games don't have physical versions. I am blessed that more indie games and AA games are getting physical releases, either simultaneously or later down the line. I do hate the double dipping aspect, but I'll take what I can get over nothing.
Sure but we're two very different types of consumer gamers, you and I. You also don't like GamePass and I do.
Because I play a game once. Exceptions are incredibly rare (um.. Witcher 3 and Sekiro? I guess that's it).

So I guess I'm not worried about my digital copy of Witcher 3 disappearing. *shrug*
I get what you're saying, I know movie buffs and collectors who lament obscure films on VHS or laserdisc only releases not being re-released on DVD.

I know you're not supposed to say this on the internet but I think pople are smarter than we give them credit for. Generally, those who care about preservation and replayability and having a library will value the physical, and those who don't won't.
Like me personally I am a music obsessive and if I really love an album I will have a proper vinyl or CD version of the thing so I can have it, store it, read the notes, and obsess over the physical manifestation like a real nerd. A real music nerd is not going to sell their collection and trust Spotify (they may keep it in storage but that's different).
But I'm just not like that for games and I'm glad the option is there for me to still play games.

Tying it back to XBox- ok it would have been easier to just have one machine, but what would that look like? Just make the Series X? Well I wouldn't buy it 'cause I don't need all that 4k stuff or a disc drive. XBox needed something to differentiate it, and Halo showed us that unique IP ain't gonna cut it like Sony has. Series S is "GamePass box for plebs" and it's great. Proven even smarter with how it was the first of the new consoles widely available during the supply chain shortage.

Honestly I suspect with PS5's and Series X's becoming more available that will cut into future Series S sales a bit. It will be interesting to see what happens in Christmas- this may be the first "normal" Christmas shopping season in years and if parents see a $230 machine that "plays all the new games," it might sell gangbusters. I have recommended that as a gift for my relatives who are not flush with cash.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I know you're not supposed to say this on the internet
According to who? Twats who live on Twitter and Reddit all day, everyday.

but I think pople are smarter than we give them credit for.
Yes, but you still are going to have people who don't know anything, think they know everything, or think they won't need it until they absolutely lose something they actually care about. What doesn't help matters that you have those at the top they're trying to normalize this crap and have, and and brainwashing the younger generation into thinking it's all okay and nothing's wrong. It's not just a younger generation, it's people my age and some that are older, that try to defend this crap, because their favorite corporation makes their favorite game. Damn everyone else.

Tying it back to XBox- ok it would have been easier to just have one machine, but what would that look like? Just make the Series X? Well I wouldn't buy it 'cause I don't need all that 4k stuff or a disc drive. XBox needed something to differentiate it, and Halo showed us that unique IP ain't gonna cut it like Sony has. Series S is "GamePass box for plebs" and it's great. Proven even smarter with how it was the first of the new consoles widely available during the supply chain shortage.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. You may not need all that stuff, but that's why you still could have just bought a digital. The digital store front is up and ready, so you wouldn't have to buy any discs and you still would have had your games digitally. Yes, it's a slightly cheaper offer, but an offer not much benefits for most gamers.
Honestly I suspect with PS5's and Series X's becoming more available that will cut into future Series S sales a bit. It will be interesting to see what happens in Christmas- this may be the first "normal" Christmas shopping season in years and if parents see a $230 machine that "plays all the new games," it might sell gangbusters. I have recommended that as a gift for my relatives who are not flush with cash.
Which only proves my point. While the cheaper option sounds nice at first, the physical versions are going to cut into sales at some point eventually somewhere, and those that suffer from FOMO (which many console makers, publishers, and developers exploit) would have been better off just playing the waiting game. So they either keep it, or trade it in for one that reads discs. That way, a person could at least get something out of it, without having to throw down more cash.