Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Yeah, he's shirtless with a long skirt and totally shredded. It's weird.
Also a LOT of fan fiction about the dude. :cautious:
The internet was a mistake.

I'm this close to saying that our ancestors leaving the trees was probably a bad move as well.

Reactions: Casual Shinji

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The internet was a mistake.

I'm this close to saying that our ancestors leaving the trees was probably a bad move as well.
I can understand your disgust, but you shouldn't be this surprised. You know how much crappy/creepy/disturbing Sonic fan art & fanfics I've seen? If that didn't break me, this shouldn't break you.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I can understand your disgust, but you shouldn't be this surprised. You know how much crappy/creepy/disturbing Sonic fan art & fanfics I've seen? If that didn't break me, this shouldn't break you.
Not so much disgust, just rather complete befuddlement. I'm not even invested in Silent Hill but something about Ripped Pyramid Head just makes me despair for humanity.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I haven't played The Medium either, but I have played a number of their other games, and while these have a flair for visual fidelity, as horror they are just so unremarkable. Trite. Predictable. Almost rapid-fire throwing every horror cliche at you in hopes something will stick, which makes them very unsatisfyingly unscary games. Where any sense of dread does not come from carefully built-up tension, but from seeing an ajar door in the distance and knowing there will be a jump scare the moment you walk through it. in fact, in some of their early games I actually developed a habit of running towards any monsters, because getting caught would usually trigger a consequence free scripted sequence, and beelining would just get it over with faster.

I have also played Silent Hill 2, and while I don't the huge boner for it that some do, I know its horror is very, very different from anything Bloober has done, so I understand why fans of the former are wary.

Or if you like movie analogies, Silent Hill 2 is David Lynch. Bloober Team is James Wan. Both have their audiences, but would probably do poorly catering to the other's.
I certainly understand the skepticism, I'm not confident in this either, but it's just the level that seems out of proportion.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I certainly understand the skepticism, I'm not confident in this either, but it's just the level that seems out of proportion.
Can't exactly blame them if you know about the certain twists that happen in The Medium. Not to mention the unfortunate implications the game's message presents. Sympathizing and making excuses for rapists and abusers is not a good look. I don't blame people for the freak out. I can see why the SH fans would take issues with this. You wouldn't want people like Bloober exactly handling a SH game, remake or not. SH2 deals with abuse (Angela, a big victim of abuse), and it doesn't make excuses for the abusers, nor sympathize with them. Did you watch the video I sent you by the way?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Can't exactly blame them if you know about the certain twists that happen in The Medium. Not to mention the unfortunate implications the game's message presents. Sympathizing and making excuses for rapists and abusers is not a good look. I don't blame people for the freak out. I can see why the SH fans would take issues with this. You wouldn't want people like Bloober exactly handling a SH game, remake or not. SH2 deals with abuse (Angela, a big victim of abuse), and it doesn't make excuses for the abusers, nor sympathize with them. Did you watch the video I sent you by the way?
I mean... The same can be said for a LOT of games. SH2 itself certainly wants us to sympathize with someone who did bad things so... I guess that makes them the perfect team?

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
Reviews for Gotham Knights are out:

Pros:
Combat CAN be fun, especially the ability to switch between characters
Cool customization, with zero MTX involved
Fun co-op
Some missions feature cool villains
Interesting Concept, with the cool dynamic between the four characters.

Cons:
Gear and progression system feels weird, as if they were designed to be a live-service model in mind. But there is no cahs shop.
Because of this, the game is grindy to have you collect different shit so you can make gears to get the characters high enough levels.
Crafting and mod system are unnecessarily extensive, with hundreds, if not thousands of different pieces giving you random buffs
Some bad performance issues in overworld settings, even on pc. And 30 fps lock on consoles, no matter where you are
The city of Gotham doesn't look that great, making the above flaw for the sake of "highly-detailed open-world" questionable
Terrible enemy designs, especially heavy ones which take too long to take down. This is very noticeable on harder difficulty
Talons are super annoying to fight, which is really disappointing considering they are the foot soldiers of court of owl
Some key elements and abilities are locked behind the grind, such as glider and grappling hook. You have to do this for all four characters

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
SH2 itself certainly wants us to sympathize with someone who did bad things so... I guess that makes them the perfect team?
If you're referring to James, that depends on the path and whatever multiple endings, a player took. Even then though there are some sympathies, it does not make excuses for James's actions, nor does the game try to absolve him for the things he's done. Understanding? Yes. Making 100% excuses and not my fault? No.

I'd sooner trust Tango Games, than Bloober. Then again, Tango already made an SH style game crossed over with Resident Evil. Twice. Those guys and gals are good.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Pros:
Fun co-op

Cons:
Gear and progression system feels weird, as if they were designed to be a live-service model in mind. But there is no cahs shop.
Because of this, the game is grindy to have you collect different shit so you can make gears to get the characters high enough levels.
Crafting and mod system are unnecessarily extensive, with hundreds, if not thousands of different pieces giving you random buffs
Some bad performance issues in overworld settings, even on pc. And 30 fps lock on consoles, no matter where you are
The city of Gotham doesn't look that great, making the above flaw for the sake of "highly-detailed open-world" questionable
Terrible enemy designs, especially heavy ones which take too long to take down. This is very noticeable on harder difficulty
Talons are super annoying to fight, which is really disappointing considering they are the foot soldiers of court of owl
Some key elements and abilities are locked behind the grind, such as glider and grappling hook. You have to do this for all four characters
I'm not a fan of DC or Batman usually, the Arkham games were good though. The reviews on this however made me glad I skipped it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reviews for Gotham Knights are out:

Pros:
Fun co-op

Cons:
What is with these developers and publishers still trying to copy from either Destiny, Avengers, or Anthem? Why?!

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
What is with these developers and publishers still trying to copy from either Destiny, Avengers, or Anthem? Why?!
At least with those games, players had the option to pay for premium or rely on live-serivce models to help them progress faster.

Here, it's a pure grind. Certain currencies are only dropped by certain factions, meaning you'll have to fight those same guys over and over again!

It's almost as if they WERE gonna have live-service, but saw how badly Avengers screwed up, and only took that out and left everything as it is.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
If they keep trying to push Live Service eventually someone will figure out how to make it successful. Maybe.
But none of them work...other than Destiny. Yet even Destiny had its own issues, for both games. Get off your asses AAA and just make an actual game. Not a stupid live service almost no one, but the super rich cares about.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It's almost as if they WERE gonna have live-service, but saw how badly Avengers screwed up, and only took that out and left everything as it is.
Then all they had to do was get rid of the RPG elements and grinding! Believe it or not, but Ultimate Alliance 3 went through a similar thing. There was going to be DLC that involved tons of micro transactions for skipping the grind, but was taken out at the last minute. It's really noticeable when you get through the halfway portion and 2/3 of the game left.

I have heard people say they'd like to see someone copy the flying from Anthem but redo everything else before at least
The only nice thing to say about Anthem is that it's flying mechanics make a better Iron Man game. Yet so far, no one wants to put the actual effort to make a good one.

Reactions: Dalisclock