General Gaming News.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You know about Crash Bandicoot, Ratchet & Clank,
To be fair they both just got new games.

Sly cooper is a raccoom platformer that i was too old to give a fuck about by the time it came out. Jax and Daxter.....honestly i thought they were the same as Ratchet and Clank until i looked it up.

Crash OG was a game i was still young enough at the time to desire playing a cartoon game. But PS2 came out in my teens and i was too edgy to play the cartoony shit. You know what i mean?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
But PS2 came out in my teens and i was too edgy to play the cartoony shit. You know what i mean?
I was 11 when the PS2 first launched in October of 2000. By the time Sly Cooper first came out, I was in my teens as well. I get you, but I was not a edgy team. I would still play m-rated games when I got the chance, but they would have to be good or fun first. There is plenty of games I played where they looked "cartoony or kiddy", but they end up being way more fun or more mature by comparison or in the long run. Gunstar Superheroes, one of the more kid looking games on the GBA, has some of the darkest story you'll ever see, if you bother to take on the harder difficulties. The story changes based on what difficulty you're playing, with hard mode giving the full story for each respective character. I was 16 at the time when that game launched.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Is every game just going to have a grappling hook now? I mean shit, I thought I was pro-grapple but it really feels like way too many games have them now.

Spectre looks interesting, but I have my doubts they'll be able to capture the fluid movement of the newer Splinter Cell games, which I really enjoyed. But yeah, crazy to think this is the only upcoming stealth game that I'm aware of. What a shame.
*shrugs* I mean if the game involves a significant amount of climbing as a primary mechanic, it's stupid to NOT include a grappling hook. People that actually do lots of climbing use these things called tools and rope all the time, to make climbing easier. :) It's a staple item for most traditional cultural sneaky types (read: ninjas), and to NOT have one would be seen as pretty fucking weird given the job you are trying to do (namely climb things quickly and easily).

My main issue is generally how limited games will often implement the hook items. They will have a single use, but ignore the myriad other ways having a pointy metal device at the end of a long rope can be used to your advantage. I'll often find myself, confronted with some scripted event in a game, and say out loud to my wife in a dry sarcastic tone "gee, if only I had a long rope with a hook on the end in this situation, things would be so much easier to resolve this conflict/problem...."

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Is every game just going to have a grappling hook now? I mean shit, I thought I was pro-grapple but it really feels like way too many games have them now.
You can blame the Batman games for that. This is nothing new. In 2012 and 2013, it was a period of first and third person shooters that required you to have a bow and arrow weapon set. I know that Tomb Raider reboot and The Last Of Us really made it popular.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I was 11 when the PS2 first launched in October of 2000
I was already 16 just at launch of that system. So you know high school didn't allow for "kid shit". Now i don't care, Rift Apart is easily one of the best 2021 games so take that to the bank!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I was already 16 just at launch of that system. So you know high school didn't allow for "kid shit".
Don't get me wrong, I had plenty of idiotic and try hard edgy people in middle school and and high school. But most people at my age, especially during my high school time, most were indifferent to what you play. You had your GTA and mad junkies, but most people were cool over what you play with. Now there might have been some curiosity, but nearly everyone let it slide or just didn't care. My older brother's high school experience was really similar. If somebody had a problem with what he was playing, he would just say "I don't give a fuck! You paid for my game? Oh, you didn't, fuck you! Stay out of my damn business."

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

An engine that was primarily made for an FPS game doesn't really work with a third-person RPG? Oh wow, who didn't see that coming? /s

In all seriousness, I do hope this means we'll get a quality Mass Effect game..... right?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In all seriousness, I do hope this means we'll get a quality Mass Effect game..... right?
Who knows? The Unreal Engine 4 & 5 are a million times better than UE3, but each have their own issues. But it matters how EA/Bioware use it, actually spend time on developing the game, and not rushing it! Ya sillies!

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Playstation has changed their tune with the lack of PS5 upgrades available for those who get the PS4 versions of Horizon and other upcoming first party titles. Now they've made upgrades available for $10 upgrade charge, which is a meaningless charge but it also makes sure that the PS5 people don't get screwed into buying the 70 verison when they could have bought the 60 version on ps4 and upgraded for free.

Not the best solution, but at least it's better than it was before in not being able to upgrade at all. Especially since I think a lot of people will be able to easily get Ps5's in 2022.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Blood Rayne: Betrayal is getting new ports on all Sony consoles and Switch. I never played too many games in the series, but I did play this one. Any Blood Rayne fans in the house?

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia

An engine that was primarily made for an FPS game doesn't really work with a third-person RPG? Oh wow, who didn't see that coming? /s

Whatever problems Andromeda had, its engine wasn't among them.

I encountered only a handful of glitches, they have nothing to do with why the game is lacklustre.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States

Yeah pretty much a self inflicted lets see how AAA sector continue to spiral.

Also yeah Deep Down just disappeared off the face of the earth. I thought it was going to be some sort of test beta for Dragons Dogma 2.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah pretty much a self inflicted lets see how AAA sector continue to spiral.
You would think the AAA industry would cut back a little bit, but no, "the audience always demands that graphics be groundbreaking!". AA and indie games show how full of shit that thinking is.

Also yeah Deep Down just disappeared off the face of the earth. I thought it was going to be some sort of test beta for Dragons Dogma 2.
Ever since Ono left, I highly doubt anyone at Capcom is going to bother with Deep Down. Capcom has a lot of new blood, and while they're doing everything they can to improve Capcom, none of them have clear interest in bringing it back or revamping the game. DD2 may happen since Hideaki Itsuno did everything he wanted for Devil May Cry 5.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
You would think the AAA industry would cut back a little bit, but no, "the audience always demands that graphics be groundbreaking!". AA and indie games show how full of shit that thinking is.
I think the real problem is that the AAA industry thinks that top of the line graphics MUST be expensive, when AA Studios have shown that you can make beautiful games with a fraction of the budget. Senua's Sacrifice for example. Or A Plague Tale Innocence.

Yet Madden makes billions every year and each yeah the games are broken copy pastas. Then EA wants to claim that overhauling the entire game would be too expensive? Fuck that.

They claim things cost more than they do to justify their monetization practices and for no other reason.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I think the real problem is that the AAA industry thinks that top of the line graphics MUST be expensive, when AA Studios have shown that you can make beautiful games with a fraction of the budget. Senua's Sacrifice for example. Or A Plague Tale Innocence.

Yet Madden makes billions every year and each yeah the games are broken copy pastas. Then EA wants to claim that overhauling the entire game would be too expensive? Fuck that.

They claim things cost more than they do to justify their monetization practices and for no other reason.
Exactly why I had those quotation marks. It's them trying to justify why all games have to be expensive or how they can't afford to overhaul a series that uses constant copy pasta games. EA and Koei-Tecmo are the biggest contenders of this.