General Gaming News.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
It still doesn’t negate the fact that their game is somehow far less optimized than plenty of other as-good-or-better looking multi-platform games.
No, that it doesn't. Apparently the port is being done by Climax Studios. Visited their site. Looked at their portfolio. They strike me as decidedly c-tier with little experience in pc development or porting to pc. Which might explain the dumpster ass requirements. Also, clicking a game they worked on brought me to a camsite for some reason. Very confidence inspiring.

Methinks Sony cheaped out on the port.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Epic settle with the FTC for fortnite charges. Sadly the article doesn't really go in detail about the first case, which claim epic collected personal info of user (seems like only problem if the user are children), I'm not quite sure what that means (maybe collect info on user outside the game?).

Second case was for "dark practice" where apparently the UI was made specifically so people would accidentally buy things, never played it so I can't comment on if that's true.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

Epic settle with the FTC for fortnite charges. Sadly the article doesn't really go in detail about the first case, which claim epic collected personal info of user (seems like only problem if the user are children), I'm not quite sure what that means (maybe collect info on user outside the game?).

Second case was for "dark practice" where apparently the UI was made specifically so people would accidentally buy things, never played it so I can't comment on if that's true.
Great news! They should add another 500 million on top of that. Epic can more than afford it.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
No.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2022/12/18/national/social-issues/video-game-addiction/

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
There's some speculation that it's a consideration for PCs with drives slower than the PS5s ssd, compensating for that IO bottleneck by loading more data into RAM. if true, still kind of a dumb solution tho, cuz that's a problem DirectStorage exists for.
It's a dumb as dogshit solution. Hell, it's dumber than requiring a M.2 SSD to play (and for me, at least, that'd be a slightly cheaper option than grabbing another 16GB RAM).

My solution would be not hiring flipper-handed fuckwits to port games.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States

Funny how it was Apple who first got into trouble for allegations similar to "dark patterns" back in 2011.
The Daily Show With Jon Stewart even did a segment on one of the games involved, Tap Fish by BayView Labs, where one family unknowingly spent over $1,500 USD.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
No.
The patronizing attitude many of these film people still have towards games when discussing them like some press junket bs is beyond cringe. It usually feels like veiled statements, where they’re really just thinking games aren’t capable of standing on their own without them receiving some other artistic treatment.

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
Atari, and I must say this from the deepest sincerest chambers of my heart...plz just die already.

Reporting its half year results to 30th September 2022, the Paris-based company admitted any delays in the development of its four activities, gaming, hardware, licensing and blockchain, or underperformance in its initiatives may cause it to make less money than expected, and in turn spark "a liquidity shortfall and additional financing requirements".

There's an "uncertain macro-environment" for video games and blockchain, the latter of which Atari has gone in heavily on, and so the company reckons actually implementing its new strategy "may require additional funding resources".

Options outlined include new loans with its main shareholder Irata, a company controlled by current Atari chairman and chief executive officer Wade Rosen, and/or raising new financing from elsewhere, which may include a "public offering... to meet capital needs and refinance the Company's debt".

It all sounds like tough times for Atari, which is of course a different company now to that of yesteryear. The Atari of now is involved in the likes of Web3, NFTs and the blockchain on top of licensing and hardware production.

These initiatives are struggling for success. For the first half of the financial year ending September, Atari revenue was €4.3m, down 27 percent from the €6.0m it generated the same period last year.

Atari said this was mostly down to the failure of its hardware business and the controversial VCS console, which suffered heavy delays before finally launching last year. In isolation, hardware business revenue plummeted 92 percent from €2.3m to just €200,000.

Games revenue, however, was up 10 percent off the back of RollerCoaster Tycoon and new games in the Recharged series. Licensing revenues decreased by 18 percent, and blockchain revenues (NFT sales) increased from the low base of €400,000 to €700,000.

All told, Atari made a net loss of €5.4m, up from the €3.5m loss it made during the same period last year.

Atari is soldering on, and in a statement issued to Tom's Hardware insisted it "remains committed to the VCS platform".

In April, Atari killed its ATRI token and Atari Chain projects. At the time, Atari said it would investigate creating a new token as a component in its blockchain roadmap, but even this sounds like it's not happening - or if it is, it's not happening any time soon.

"This project still remains at an early stage of its development as Atari intends to thoroughly consider the various structuring options available and regulatory framework, as well as current uncertainty around the blockchain market environment, in order to make this project relevant for its community of fans and partners," Atari said.

Meanwhile, Atari is sitting on 972 "parcels of land" in the Sandbox metaverse. This make-believe real estate isn't doing anything for the company and it won't do for at least the next 12 months.

Atari said in its gloomy outlook that it's too early to expect its "turnaround strategy" to have a significant impact on revenue and profitability.

"In a challenging macro-environment for video games and blockchain initiatives, Atari intends to continue focusing on executing its roadmap and transforming its operations across all four lines of business," the company insisted.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Atari, and I must say this from the deepest sincerest chambers of my heart...plz just die already.

Nobody knows what they're doing at that company anymore. It's been that way for years. Atari, just sell yourselves to Nintendo or something. I'm glad the 50th anniversary collection exists, but y'all just need to stop.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: Dalisclock