General Gaming News.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
At this point the company might as well collapse because it simply won’t look good for anyone supporting their games. The good ones can be given job placement elsewhere. Either that or at the very least a thorough house cleaning is in order from the top-down.

I mean hell, look at the blowback numerous studios got for just crunching recently, and how many people felt awkward to disgusted supporting them. Work ethics, schedules and work loads are also a somewhat grey area as has been pointed out recently too.

Sexual abuse OTOH and attempts at protecting the guilty is a whole other level of awfulness. The scarlet letter might as well stand for Activison at this point for how tainted they are.
I do have to ask, if collapse does happen will it just be Blizzard or Activision as well? What will happen to all the IPs?

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

This is the reason why there isn’t a GTA 6. GTA games have since at least 3, been parodies and satires of real life. Humorous takes on the social state of the world, often times highlighting the raunchy and the absurd.

But in doing so now a days, such a game would be lamblasted and labels racist, sexist, and homophobic. You can’t make fun of anyone, you can’t play up stereotypes, you aren’t allowed to do this anymore, and the proof is in this article that wants a 13 year old game to change retroactively.
How can Rockstar hope to make a new game in a world like this? Why would they? Unless they are willing to change everything GTA has always been about, in which case any new game wouldn’t be GTA at all.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is the reason why there isn’t a GTA 6. GTA games have since at least 3, been parodies and satires of real life. Humorous takes on the social state of the world, often times highlighting the raunchy and the absurd.

But in doing so now a days, such a game would be lamblasted and labels racist, sexist, and homophobic. You can’t make fun of anyone, you can’t play up stereotypes, you aren’t allowed to do this anymore, and the proof is in this article that wants a 13 year old game to change retroactively.
Kotaku is once again full of shit. While they are right to call out the trans-phobia, changing it or hiding actually causes more harm than the good. To deny it or act like it did not happen makes thing worse, and makes a person no different Holocaust deniers, or acts like racism never existed.

Considering South Park still exists just fine (though I got bored of it, because there is not much left they can exaggerate). GTA 6 is possible. South Park: Fractured, But Whole came out in late 2017. I did not see anyone complain there, so nothing is impossible. I won't be interested in GTA6 in general, but Rockstar can and will make another one that would raunchy. With that said, Rockstar stopped being the anti-establishment/full on rebel ages ago. Whatever they make won't be that interesting in terms of parody, satire, nor edge. They done a lot and don't have much to offer. At least for me any way.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
While they are right to call out the trans-phobia
I disagree. I don't think satirizing the culture is phobic, nor should it be considering an attack. To have inclusion into a society you must allow for parody, and so long as any type of satire is phobic then that culture will never be accepted. We should be free to parody and satirize all people regardless, because only a society that can all openly laugh at each other, is a truly inclusive one.

Will some of that satire and parody be offensive to some people? Sure, that's par for the course with all humor. But your personal offense in not a problem of the social commentary as a whole. And to cut it out is exactly like you said, just burying your head in the sand.

It's the same dumbass idea that Blizzard is doing by removing any and all "sexy" female art from World of Warcraft. As if by removing all examples of the female body, they will cure sexism, when all it really does is teach women that they need to be ashamed about their bodies because their existence only has value based off appearance alone.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I disagree. I don't think satirizing the culture is phobic, nor should it be considering an attack
Look, I don't remember the whole the story pf V, but when I last checked, Rockstar did not put trans people in a positive light. Almost no one is in a GTA game, but that is beside the point. I never said satirizing the culture is phobic, but it can be done badly. Besides, satire does not make a story automatically good. Time changes us all, and there is nothing wrong looking back at things with a new or different perspective within reason.

Will some of that satire and parody be offensive to some people? Sure, that's par for the course with all humor.
But like I said before, time changes, and just because your product is a satire or parody does not make it immune to criticism. South Park has plenty of episodes that fall under satire/parody that Matt and Trey are not proud of or have come to hate. They hate the episodes/seasons where Mr. Garrison has a sex change as they, and everyone else knew, was really transphobic. It was nothing more than "Eeewwww, you're a man!" or "You'll never be a real man or woman, because of a sex change".

It's the same dumbass idea that Blizzard is doing by removing any and all "sexy" female art from World of Warcraft. As if by removing all examples of the female body, they will cure sexism, when all it really does is teach women that they need to be ashamed about their bodies because their existence only has value based off appearance alone.
That's just Blizzard virtue signaling, trying to save faces, and distract the bullshit that goes on in their offices. Trying hide something in the laziest way possible, and act as if you're doing 'good'.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I never said satirizing the culture is phobic, but it can be done badly.
Right but if you demonize bad parody, then where do you draw a line? Because anyone has the freedom to call something bad or offensive. You can't allow for "good" parody without allowing for all parody.

Will there be shit? Yes. But you can't have a garden without a bit of shit :)

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Right but if you demonize bad parody, then where do you draw a line?
That is up to the person and their own interpretation. Don't give me the "you're on a slippery slope/crossing the line" nonsense. Most sensible people are able to figure things out. Regardless, if you like or dislike the parody/satire or not, people are free to do the same within reason. Though they are allowed to be a criticized as well depending on the situation.

You can't allow for "good" parody without allowing for all parody.

Will there be shit? Yes. But you can't have a garden without a bit of shit
Hence why Sturgeon's Law exist. You can shout parody or satire all the day long, but if nothing clicks and everything seems off, it's bad as far as I am concerned. Even if someone gets the point or joke. Shit like this is why I stopped watching Family Guy and don't even bother with re-watching a lot of Drawn Together. FG had the issue of over relying on random humor, stolen jokes, and asshole characters while hiding behind "it's satire!". DT just became another gross out, sadist, shock value show by the middle of season 2, and heavily in season 3. The show was no longer a reality TV parody or satire of the culture. They lost that position in the middle of the show's run. Don't even get me started on that fucking movie. A movie so bad, that not even hardcore fans of Drawn Together are willing to defend that waste of movie shelf space.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Or you know take notes in what volition did with the Saints Row Reboot if you find the idea that Rockstar can't make a new GTA. But remember that if you are going to be offensive that it is no longer cute to act like an edgelord

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
That is up to the person and their own interpretation. Don't give me the "you're on a slippery slope/crossing the line" nonsense. Most sensible people are able to figure things out. Regardless if like or dislike the parody/satire or not, people are free to do the same within reason. Though they are allowed to be a criticized as well depending on the situation.
Oh absolutely critique it all you want. The point is that you have to allow all of it to be made though.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

YO!!!! 16 bucks for the ultimate edition of DBZ fighters? hell yeah!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The point is that you have to allow all of it to be made though.
I never said nor implied it should not be made. I am not here to stop every satire story. All I pointed out is that nothing is immune to criticism. End of discussion on that now.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dude did you get Gogeta Blue? Is he incredible?
I guess. From what the player base says, yes. I barely ever used him. The game has too many Gokus and Vegetas as it is. They could have grabbed some of the other characters from the non-canon movies, like Bojack, Zangya, King Slug, or Android 13. Arc System did a great job with getting the characters people asked for, but less Gokus and Vegetas still would have been nice. We did not need regular Saiyan Goku and Vegeta. While they do play differently, it's not that much of a difference from their super Saiyan counterparts.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

How can Rockstar hope to make a new game in a world like this? Why would they? Unless they are willing to change everything GTA has always been about, in which case any new game wouldn’t be GTA at all.
Probably a significant part of the reason the lead writer left not long after RDR2 released, is the modern sociopolitical climate.

If a GTA game were set in modern times, it would not just be impossible to not address and satirize the proverbial elephant in the room, it wouldn't be in line with Rockstar's principles and idealogy.

It would be extremely tough to merely gloss over the polarization and extreme political divide existing not just in the States but also in the world. The GTA franchise's identity is steeped in American culture and its politics, and glossing over those themes would not be doing justice to the game and its satire.

Dan Houser's exact quotes relating to the Trump administration and the political climate in the US and why he was thankful for not having to release GTA 6 at that point were:

Both intense liberal progression and intense conservatism are both very militant and very angry. It is scary, but it's also strange, yet both occasionally seem to veer towards the absurd. It's hard to satirize for those reasons. Some of the stuff you see is straightforwardly beyond satire. It would be out of date within two minutes, and everything is changing so fast."

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Which is why the next game will be like Saint's row, a soulless games as a service riding purely on it's name. There is no other way to make that game

And being on the EGS to avoid having to deal with Steamies crying about wokeness