General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Boomers were telling us Gen-Xers that back in the day. We were all going to end up going outside and start walking to the right while beating up everyone we came across, and America would turn into one of those dystopian hellholes that '80s action movies would send the lone vigilante into. Anyone from my generation who says that now is an utter hypocrite.
I find it hilarious those imbeciles thought that would be a thing. As much as it appealed to me as a kid to want to suplex a thug that would come after me, or jump into the crowd a bad guys and start shouting like Axel with the "Grand Uppa!", I would never go out of my way to hurt somebody to fufill that fantasy.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Bad Capcom! *Bonks head with fire poker*

Oh piss off, Ko-biatch. Can you please spread your toxic influence elsewhere?
Hilarious timing to be honest...

Days after Kotick claimed company had no "systemic issue".

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Pro move, Capcom, pro move! Could've easily charged extra as a stand-alone game. And while they can still do that, they chose to release it as a free add-on
Capcom is out here just winning lately, I dunno what they got in their Kool-Aid but they need to keep that shit topped up.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US

TL;DR
The upper management had no clear vision on whether the game should've been a single player or multiplayer. No one on Arkane really wanted to work on it. The upper management hoped to pull their version of "Bioware-magic" near the end of the development. 70% of the staff who worked on Prey 2017 left. The company did try to hire for more, but they were looking for people working on the multiplayer aspect rather than the singleplayer that Arkane has become known for. And thus, some people wanted MS to cancel the project.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

TL;DR
The upper management had no clear vision on whether the game should've been a single player or multiplayer. No one on Arkane really wanted to work on it. The upper management hoped to pull their version of "Bioware-magic" near the end of the development. 70% of the staff who worked on Prey 2017 left. The company did try to hire for more, but they were looking for people working on the multiplayer aspect rather than the singleplayer that Arkane has become known for. And thus, some people wanted MS to cancel the project.
Once again, it's the failure of management and I'm not shocked in the slightest. What is with the video game industry fucking up so hard on this? I just talked about this earlier in the morning in the Game Articles Thread.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Managers are tools of corporate structures which are beholden to stockholders, who want the company to create "products" and couldn't care less about the quality of the games being made.

One would think they’d eventually be able to connect the dots. How often do shitty games not also sell like shit. Although odds are in many of these cases they ultimately don’t have much choice, for the same reason the vast majority of people never break free of humdrum existences to truly succeed in life. Circumstances beyond individual scope and less than good choices can be hell to untangle after they’ve been allowed to marinate a while.

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
Also I forgot to mention; Apparently Redfall was gonna be live-service (go figure), but they scrapped the idea, and that’s why everything is so grindy in the actual release.

I’m no expert in game development, but how hard is it to make stuff less grindy?

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Also I forgot to mention; Apparently Redfall was gonna be live-service (go figure), but they scrapped the idea, and that’s why everything is so grindy in the actual release.
Believe or not, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 has a similar issue, but not to the extent of Redfall. UA3 does get really grind heavy around late game. It's what keeps me from buying and playing the game. I don't have time for that shit.

I’m no expert in game development, but how hard is it to make stuff less grindy?
It's not hard, but too many decently competent people have left or are not in charge in most of these Western AAA games. I find it ironic the roles have reversed. It was usually RPGs or certain action games with RPG elements on the Japanese side that suffered from too much grinding during the 6th generation. Not that Western games couldn't have grinding issues, but has gotten worse since the mid 7th generation.

mirbrownbread

Elite Member
Nov 16, 2022
Belgium
Country
Belgium
Managers are tools of corporate structures which are beholden to stockholders, who want the company to create "products" and couldn't care less about the quality of the games being made.
This reminded me of one of Jim Stephanie Sterling's older videos where she points out that all "industry leaders" in the video game space don't just want money - they want ALL the money ever made... Not that I always agree with Sterling's views and overly dramatic criticism videos, but that one is 110% correct. And what a colossal shame it is since video games really remained unscathed by the wills of smirking managers who rub their hands before releasing the next "product" for a long time... Much longer than the movie or music industry

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
And now for tiny insignificant news that nobody cares about except me.

In other words: "when it's done". I know the game is supposed to be out by the end of the year, but if you guys don't have a release date, then just say it. This is why I don't care for the ambiguous were setting on a release date nonsense. Or coming out whatever season with no specified date.