BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

I fucking cant right now.
That's a vague statement. Either the game is semi-open world, has multiple hub areas with their own elaborate exploration, or the game has expanded or new areas that are open-ended.

You okay there, btw? I can only assume you're in a good or excited mood.

Last edited:
Reactions: CriticalGaming

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
The Swedish Sports Confederation, an umbrella organization for the various non-profit association of sports in Sweden, accepted the e-sports association as a member. After several years of being rejected.

What this will entail is that secondary schools may have a profile for people who want to compete professionally in e-sports(there already are such profiles for sports such as soccer or badminton), that people wanting to enter Sweden for competing in e-sports tournament can do so under the framework of an athlete (there was a tournament a few years back that had to be relocated the Romania due to this) and that various e-sports associations can receive grants aimed for youth sport activities.

Personally I have no objection to the first two points, but I have a bit of an objection to the last one: I thought the purpose of those grants was to encourage people to get out and get some exercise.

There is another objection that is not present in the English language but is in Swedish: the English word "sport" can be translated into two different words in Swedish: "sport" or "idrott". The difference between the two words is that the latter requires a physical activity be part of it, and it is the latter word that the Swedish Sports Confederation (svenska riksidrottsförbundet) use, therefore it's a bit odd to let e-sport fall under the administration of an organization that technically should not cover them.

The Swedish Sports Confederation's reason for rejecting the e-sport association in the past has been different, though: they state that the association's sport's competitive rules must be owned by the association itself, and videogames' rules are externally defined.

Reactions: Gyrobot

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I remember when a lot of Sega and Sonic fans like myself were upset when Yuji left Sega back in the mid 2000s. Nowadays I don't feel much of a thing, except disappointment, and "why would you bother doing this?" I'm not coming to SE's defense, as they've done far worse than Yuji Naka, but that was just really dumb for him to do. He got money, so why bother?

Funny story, but after Yuji left Sega, he felt the Sonic games I had gotten too easy. I disagree with him on that notion. They're still challenge, but it's not as overbearing as it was in the past 2D games, nor Sonic Heroes. Bet he wishes that he stayed at Sega now, or should have just retired and done something else better with his life.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Day 3 and 4 are not really much of anything in terms of hype build up for me.

However Day 4 seems to confirm that party progress is basically just reset for this new game, and instead of trying to build or rob the party of stats, materia, and levels, they are just going to treat each entry as a brand new game from the jump. Which is fine in the long run. It allows each game to have a decent power progression without having to worry about the party starting each game already bonkeringly strong. Since these are Final Fantasy games it's the story and the character development that really matter anyway, so it doesn't bother me. I spent the a lot of time during my big FF retrospective event trying to think of ways they could "reset" the party for Part 2, while also allowing some of that power gained from the Midgar portion to transfer over and have it make sense.

Frankly I think at most is that the group will start with a basic set of materia like fire, ice, lightning, and cure. And will just regain everything from the jump for the rest of the game.

Reactions: FakeSympathy

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Day 3 and 4 are not really much of anything in terms of hype build up for me.

However Day 4 seems to confirm that party progress is basically just reset for this new game, and instead of trying to build or rob the party of stats, materia, and levels, they are just going to treat each entry as a brand new game from the jump. Which is fine in the long run. It allows each game to have a decent power progression without having to worry about the party starting each game already bonkeringly strong. Since these are Final Fantasy games it's the story and the character development that really matter anyway, so it doesn't bother me. I spent the a lot of time during my big FF retrospective event trying to think of ways they could "reset" the party for Part 2, while also allowing some of that power gained from the Midgar portion to transfer over and have it make sense.

Frankly I think at most is that the group will start with a basic set of materia like fire, ice, lightning, and cure. And will just regain everything from the jump for the rest of the game.
Resetting character is inevitable, how do you balance something for people who finished the game and stopped and people who cleared all the side content and maxed out character? But it risk making everything feel very "been there done that" unless they introduce some good new addition to the system to shake up the formula. Anywya I just hope they get better encounter designer this time around, the basic combat system is good, but both random encounter and boss were just terribly designed, I hope the guy who made the house boss got replaced at bare minimum.

But why cater to people who haven't played FF7R1? Why wouldn't they just play the first one rather than start in the middle? "player who did not get a chance to play the first one", they talk about it like its some sort of lost text that cannot be obtained anymore and can only be told trough legend, ***** its on steam/PSstore, just go buy it, it'l probably be on discount when it come out too.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
But why cater to people who haven't played FF7R1? Why wouldn't they just play the first one rather than start in the middle? "player who did not get a chance to play the first one", they talk about it like its some sort of lost text that cannot be obtained anymore and can only be told trough legend, ***** its on steam/PSstore, just go buy it, it'l probably be on discount when it come out too.
Yeah I don't understand this idea at all. It's like demanding that you should be able to start Breaking Bad in Season 3 and understand everything that's already happened to that point.

I think it's unreasonable for people to demand to not have play the first game in a trilogy while also wanting to play the middle entry. If you are interested in the series, PLAY THE WHOLE FUCKING THING! It's so stupid, I hope this amounts to nothing more than a summary video you can watch on the main menu or something.

Reactions: meiam

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Playing it takes about 33 hours, and players interested in the new shiny title would probably like to play the shiny new title, not the old title released some years ago. The Mass Effect series got a whole bunch of players onboard with its second entry, who never touched the 17 hours long first game.

Besides, the impression I have gotten is that games are ALWAYS designed so that you can come in at any entry without previous experience. Kingdom Hearts being a rare exception.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Playing it takes about 33 hours, and players interested in the new shiny title would probably like to play the shiny new title, not the old title released some years ago. The Mass Effect series got a whole bunch of players onboard with its second entry, who never touched the 17 hours long first game.
That's not that bad all things considered. If those type of players have the time to complain about not wanting to play the first or previous game, then they have time to get to it and get started. Just do all the main quests and move on. Hell, go to easy mode if you need to. In Mass Effect's case, the first game has not aged well. I knew people who could only get through 8 or 10 hours of the game.

Besides, the impression I have gotten is that games are ALWAYS designed so that you can come in at any entry without previous experience. Kingdom Hearts being a rare exception.
It's more than Kingdom Hearts that has this problem. Resident Evils has had this problem before. Metal Gear & Solid has definitely had this problem. Sonic as well during the post SA2 era. There are many a game where somebody's going to get lost somewhere, when or if if it's a long running franchise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

ME2 wasn't as easily obtainable at the time since game were still physical first back in the olden days. ME2 was also very different gameplay wise from 1, so some player might have avoided it for that reason but still interested in 2 with the updated gameplay. I still think its a dumb idea to start a trillogy in the middle, but its somewhat defensible in that case.

KH story is such a convoluted non sense at this point that's its not like picking one game while missing the other one really matters, you won't understand it either way. Although its a case where I think it would be perfectly reasonable to assume the player didn't play some of the previous entry since almost every game in KH came out on a different system (on top of my head, PS2/mobile/GBA/PSP/DS/PS3).

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Playing it takes about 33 hours, and players interested in the new shiny title would probably like to play the shiny new title, not the old title released some years ago.
It's only 2 years old, it's not like you have to go back and playthrough an old SNES title that hasn't been relevant in 20 years. And frankly 33 hours is nothing and there are a lot of ways you can handle it. We know the release date months in advance and playing the first game before the next entry is pretty easy. Not to mention all the other things you could do,

1. Watch a Let's Play.
2. Watch a cut scene montage.
3. Watch a story summary.
4. Play the 1st game on easy mode and rush it.
5. Read the wiki.

Four of the five things don't even require spending any money AND you can do them on the toilet.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
That's not that bad all things considered. If those type of players have the time to complain about not wanting to play the first or previous game, then they have time to get to it and get started.
"Those type of players"?

Do you think I'm talking about the sort of player that hangs around on gaming forums? I'm talking about the casual fan, aka. most people, who just want to have a fun roleplaying experience for the hours it takes to beat it, how it connects to the overall series mostly considered irrelevant. Hence the vacuous marketing comment of "Yes, you can play it without having played the previous entry"; of course they would design it that way, they are not stupid.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Do you think I'm talking about the sort of player that hangs around on gaming forums? I'm talking about the casual fan, aka. most people, who just want to have a fun roleplaying experience for the hours it takes to beat it, how it connects to the overall series mostly considered irrelevant. Hence the vacuous marketing comment of "Yes, you can play it without having played the previous entry"; of course they would design it that way, they are not stupid.
I was referring to both types, but more so the casual end. Even if they are casual fan, they can either play on easy mode or just watch a YouTube play through. It's up to them. They have no excuses not to do so, if they got that type of time to complain or laments about having to play the previous game.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
I was referring to both types, but more so the casual end. Even if they are casual fan, they can either play on easy mode or just watch a YouTube play through. It's up to them. They have no excuses not to do so, if they got that type of time to complain or laments about having to play the previous game.
There is that phrasing of yours again: "if they got that type of time to complain or laments about having to play the previous game". It presumes that this design decision is borne out of an active demand in the playerbase rather than the passive demand SE knows a casual consumer will have in understanding the new game they got their hands on. I assume its the latter, hence why it's a vacuous marketing statement.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
There is that phrasing of yours again: "if they got that type of time to complain or laments about having to play the previous game". It presumes that this design decision is borne out of an active demand in the playerbase rather than the passive demand SE knows a casual consumer will have in understanding the new game they got their hands on. I assume its the latter, hence why it's a vacuous marketing statement.
I wasn't implying anything of the sort. I just know people like that exist. It's still dumb on Square Enix part, don't get me wrong, but it all boils down to sales and money. They want as many people buying the new game as possible, regardless if they're previous fans or newbies. Square isn't the only one guilty of this. It's why I have that video up in the first place. "Oh, you don't have to play the other Devil May Cry games to understand DMC 5!", says Capcom. Sure, they give you that recap of all the previous games & the anime, but you're still going to be lost in a few things or not know the full contacts. I always tell people new to DMC to just play 3 first, then either play 1 or just watch on youtube, then directly go to 4.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
It's only 2 years old, it's not like you have to go back and playthrough an old SNES title that hasn't been relevant in 20 years. And frankly 33 hours is nothing and there are a lot of ways you can handle it. We know the release date months in advance and playing the first game before the next entry is pretty easy. Not to mention all the other things you could do,

1. Watch a Let's Play.
2. Watch a cut scene montage.
3. Watch a story summary.
4. Play the 1st game on easy mode and rush it.
5. Read the wiki.

Four of the five things don't even require spending any money AND you can do them on the toilet.
In that case for the best viewing experience, constipation is recommended.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
ME2 wasn't as easily obtainable at the time since game were still physical first back in the olden days. ME2 was also very different gameplay wise from 1, so some player might have avoided it for that reason but still interested in 2 with the updated gameplay. I still think its a dumb idea to start a trillogy in the middle, but its somewhat defensible in that case.
ME2 was WELL after the move to digital stuff (for PC), by the by. (I"m all too aware of this because at the time, MAss Effect and Dragon Age were basically the first major games I couldn't buy on my forced adult-life exodus from PC gaming due to no credit card and no steam cards existed (in canada at least) at the time)

==================

But yeah, there's always going to be a weird schism when it comes to sequels because publishers also want that year(s) of work to pay off in sales beyond just retaining an ever diminishing fraction of the original installments audience that will get smaller and smaller with each entry. Remake was already kind of tiptoeing overmuch on needing people who'd played FF7 (and Crisis Core, but they re-released that in itself) to make the changes mean anything other then random nonsense.

You can pretty much scan any long running series and it either has no crossover between entries or very limited references at best for this reason in most. (Even Mass Effect, for the aforementioned, oft-criticized for pushing the reset button on all the entries and going through the motions of "Shepherd has ot convince everyone the Reapers are real and to fight.... again"), and the other big chunk have rebooted every generation or so.

Also keep in mind this is Square, infamous for expecting every game they release to somehow need to sell a bajillion copies to make their alleged budget back. And they've already tried (multiple times) making more direct sequels to FF games with an overly lukewarm response compared to the initial main entries.

Last edited: