General Gaming News.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Huh apparently John Carpenter is involved in a new game, I knew he was a gamer so it's not too surprising, but I still have to wonder if he's actually involved or if they're just stamping his name on it. TBH it kinda look like just a generic FPS zombie game.

There's some sort of 4x stellaris spin off, with its selling point that it's made for short game... which is kinda weird because almost everyone I know that likes 4x want their game to be long, so I dunno who the target audience is for this. Paradox is also making a star trek game, modern trek isn't exactly interesting so I don't really care tbh.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Oh man that p3 remake looks amazing! I didn't know I wanted this, but I sure as hell do. I was thinking that team persona was a little too quiet after the huge success of p5. I guess this is why.

Meanwhile that p5 game reminds me of persona Q for the 3DS. Not at all a fan of its look. I think we can clearly see where all their effort went XD.

edit: man now I'm stuck listening to persona music again, here's hoping for a new rendition of this beauty

like they did in fes

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

what
Carpenter, I love you, but the zombie trend was 10 years ago. The game does look fun, and I hope they have lots of enemy variety. I just saw a zombie shoot with a laser arm cannon! Give me more of those kind of surprises!

Reactions: meiam

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Here we go again. Note, I'm not throwing shade at Kotaku this time. It's another actual case of angry male gamers being mad at actual facts and data.

This really shouldn’t be news and it certainly shouldn’t be surprising to anyone, but yes, new data from Circana shows that—as we told you in 2017—women play video games. In fact, more than half of all Switch owners are women. And a very vocal bunch of idiots are reacting about as well as you’d expect to this “revelation.”

On June 9, Mat Piscatella—the executive director & video game industry analyst at Circana (formerly NPD)—tweeted out some newly released data about who is buying and playing video games in the United States.

First, Piscatella revealed that, so far in 2023, according to Circana’s PlayerPulse (a monthly study tracking consumer awareness and engagement), a lot of women are playing games on all platforms under the sun. Specifically, 47% of console video game players, 50% of PC video game players, and 54% of mobile video game players are female. And all three of these stats are up 1% versus last year.

Piscatella then posted more data about how many women own specific consoles in the United States. 41% of PS5s in the US and 45% of Xbox Series X/S consoles are owned by women according to Circana’s monthly analysis and surveys. More interesting is that over half—52%—of Switch owners in the US are women.

Angry gamer bros react to reality
While many people reacted to this data with a sensible “Yeah, that makes sense” or “Yup, that is reality and I’ve met plenty of women who play games in 2023,” some annoying dudes had a different reaction. And no, you don’t get a prize for guessing that they lost their shit. In the replies to Piscatella’s tweets, many have reacted to the data with anger, skepticism, and shitty jokes.

Some suggested the data is wrong or that the owner stats are skewed by moms buying consoles for boys. (This isn’t how the monthly surveys work or how data is collected, something Piscatella pointed out in follow-up tweets.) All of these silly theories were not only wrong but revealed that a lot of these dudes likely have little contact with actual women or, for that matter, reality itself.

What’s very funny about the reactions from these angry gamers is that many of them are dunking on themselves very hard. I’ve seen multiple men post that they can’t find these “gamer girls” and thus, they don’t buy these stats. Checking their other tweets, it’s pretty clear why women might be avoiding them. Others asked where all these women were online in games like Call of Duty, pointing out that they rarely hear girls in multiplayer lobbies. To those people, I suggest you scroll through all the angry replies to Piscatella’s stats and take note of all these mad dudes making fun of women for playing The Sims or mobile games, calling them “fake gamers” and inventing elaborate conspiracy theories involving data manipulation and “woke” agents.

Hmm, yeah, I wonder why women might want to keep a low profile when playing online games or interacting with gaming communities…

The reality is that millions of people play video games in 2023. But also, women have been playing video games since there were video games. Barbie Fashion Designer outsold Doom and Quake in 1996 and was the ninth best-selling PC game of that year. (Of course, women were also playing Doom and Quake back then, too!) So, angry dudes online, maybe stop acting so defensive and shitty about games being played by women, and instead realize that they’ve always been here and, if you feel like they’re hiding from you, maybe ask yourself why that is.

Ohshima, who is credited as designing Sonic and providing art for the franchise’s earliest games, will be returning for his first series entry in over 20 years with Sonic Superstars.
Sonic Team boss Takashi Iizuka said in an interview at Summer Game Fest on Saturday that the company had originally intended to collaborate again with developer Christian Whitehead, who directed 2017’s Sonic Mania, but plans fell through.
Iizuka then approached Ohshima, who worked on the original Sonic the Hedgehog and other entries in the 90s, to lead the next 2D game with his development team, which is best known for developing titles such as Hey! Pikmin and Yoshi’s New Island.
Sonic Mania developers Headcannon and Christian Whitehead are not involved, Iizuka confirmed.
“When we were making Sonic Mania and the game was finished and Chris was done, we had a conversation with Chris and the team about what the next 2D game we make should be,” he explained.
“We had some concepts and ideas laid out between the teams but we couldn’t kick off the project. And so it disappeared for a while with Chris and the team.
“I’m friends with a lot of my old coworkers and I was having a conversation with Ohshima-san about how we should make a Sonic game together and if he’d be interested. He’s the original creator of Sonic the Hedgehog, and so we had a conversation about whether his company Arzest would be interested in working on a Sonic game
“So there were ideas with Chris and the team that fell through. Sonic Superstars is really all developed by Arzest, but Sonic Team in Japan is working with them on design and some other elements. Arzest and Ohshima-san are 100% developers of the game.”
Iizuka explained that he feels he can trust Ohshima’s team because of his valuable experience working on the original Sonic games. Ohshima is best known as the creator of Sonic’s character design, but Iizuma said few people know that he actually designed many levels too.
“What Ohshima-san really brings is his classic Sonic experience, having worked on Sonic 1 and Sonic CD. He has an understanding of how to make a true classic Sonic game.
“A lot of people think Ohshima-san just came in and thought what Sonic would look like, drew the character and that was it. But he was also doing level design on Sonic 1 in addition to drawing and creating the character. So he has that experience of making a Sonic game because he did level design for the original game.”
In addition, Iizuka revealed that Sonic 3 composer Jun Senoue will be leading audio on Superstars
“When we talk about people who are still around who worked on the classic Sonic games, there are not a lot of people who are actively creating games leftover from that really small group.
“But there are three people; myself, Ohshima-san and the third is Jun Senoue at Sega, who did music for Sonic 3 back in the day. He is also participating in the development of Sonic Superstars. Jun is the music director on the game and is really focused on making it sound like a classic game.
“But obviously he’s not sat around creating all this music himself: he’s working with internal teams at Sega to create music in that classic Sonic vibe and he’s also working on some external teams such as Tee Lopes who helped out on Sonic Mania.”
Sonic Superstars lets players control either Sonic, Tails, Knuckles or Amy Rose, and for the first time in a Sonic game, there will also be co-op support for up to four players.
The game will be released in fall 2023 both digitally and physically, on PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Switch and PC.

Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020

Assuming this "game" even gets released this year, I think it'll be a strong contender for the worst game of 2023, alongside forspoken, redfall, and gollum
I dunno, Crime Boss: Rockay City looks like a fake game that somehow stumbled into being made...poorly.

Outside of cutscenes, Is giving off strong "we spent all the budget on our fave actors, sorry-not-sorry!" The environments look static, stiff and dull. The gameplay looks like it feels bad. The title is like a ChatGPT result for their own steam greenlight GTA knock-off asset flip. And it's out in like a week with no fanfare. Odds and optics are not looking good. It has to be bad.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Lol, reeks off Sega still being butthurt over what's basically a bunch of romhackers making a better Sonic game than they have in near 2 decades.
I'll defend Sonic Forces and Sonic Frontiers, but I will never defend Sega acting like bitchy jackasses, cuz they couldn't bother to commit to making great Sonic games for a long while. Sonic Generations I still consider the best of the 3D outings, that was over a decade ago now, sega's had a slacking quality. I am interested and excited for this new title, but they have no rights to complain when it was their responsibility to make sure these games were in good quality in the first place.

hanselthecaretaker2

Flask restoration in progress
Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Need mod help, lol (yes it's me, the real hanselthecaretaker). This is the most active forum/thread and looks like Nick has been "away" since October last year?! My temp account isn't privileged enough for the "Contact Us" link and apparently it's broken.

Anyways, I accidentally deleted my google authenticator app because they changed the design inside and out and I was like, "wtf is this?" Then after much riff raff and reinstalling my linked accounts were gone.

To make matters worse, both my phone AND PC just happened to need the 2 step code to log back in (FFS 30 days seems to go quick). Password reset doesn't help either because...still need the code after.

SO, I can't get back into my main account here. Can a mod PM me a fixed code to get back in? I can give more details if needed there.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Atlus is on a roll. New RPG IP that is neither smt nor persona just announced:

Thing is called Metaphor: Refantasio. Looking gorgeous. It has mad persona vibes but the setting is orthodox anime fantasy instead of modern day.

Release date (JP only for now, not sure worldwide) is 2024.

Last edited:

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

Well, there’s a red flag if you ask me
“Fortunately in this one, we've got it running great. It's often running way above that. Sometimes it's 60. But on the consoles, we do lock it because we prefer the consistency, where you're not even thinking about it."

"Sometimes it's 60", what a ringing endorsement.