General Gaming News.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Common fan complaint about Shenmue 3 was it felt like filler that didn't advance the story, but sure, spiffing idea.
I see no point in fans even getting excited for this. After the disaster of the third game, I wouldn't trust him on that, fan or not. The Yakuza/Like A Dragon franchise pretty much became Sega's proper Shenmue.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US

See, now thats a layoff that doesn't make any damn logistical sense. They're working on their super-big climactic event of the long vaunted ten year story (even if that original plan probably was different) and launching a new IP (well, relaunching) on the side. If anything you'd expect them to be hiring like mad.

Look, i'm sure you did an amazing job leading Bungie, but should you really be talking right now when many people's livelihoods are on the line?

XsjadoBlaydette

~s•o√r∆rπy°`
May 26, 2022
Clear 'n Present Danger
Country
Must
Common fan complaint about Shenmue 3 was it felt like filler that didn't advance the story, but sure, spiffing idea.
guy's got a fear of writing endings is all. can totally relate, got a fear of writing chorus song lyrics still to this day. though the first game coming with a "this is just 1 part of 16 other chapters, make sure to buy them all, tee hee" might've been a hint of red flag all those years ago tbh. not for my young dumb rump however, I bought fully into that bullshit with my single pre-owned Dreamcast console as sole source of entertainment lol.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Reactions: Specter Von Baren

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I saw people complaining about the dialog choices and the fact that your backstory is always the same no matter what you choose. The dialog system is also supposedly like Fallout 4 where what you pick isnt really what your character says or how they act.
I mean, you basically just didn't have a backstory in the first one lol. You are random person bit by vampire. I don't think they ever give the one that made you a name (despite some bugaboo handwave that you are inexplicably powerful, its never embellished upon)

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I mean, you basically just didn't have a backstory in the first one lol. You are random person bit by vampire. I don't think they ever give the one that made you a name (despite some bugaboo handwave that you are inexplicably powerful, its never embellished upon)
I never played the first one and the game Dark tramatized me from vampire games

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I never played the first one and the game Dark tramatized me from vampire games
Bloodlines 1 is way, way, waaaaaaaaay better than Dark. It's a cult game for a reason. It's also pure slavjank. Incredibly ambitious while also being incredibly buggy, even with community patches. Kind of like S.T.A.L.K.E.R, there is kind of nothing else like it.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Yup. The first one was a very good game. Unfortunately buggy at launch and the post-release support stopped because the company went under. That is why there is that community patch.

The new one ?

Well it seems to have been in development hell forever, underwent several overhauls regarding what the game is about and has iirc also switched studios and had fluctuation in lead designers. Might still be good but might be horrible as well. Will wait for reviews before buying.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
For those that have PS Plus/Extra, this game is free for a while. I already got the game when it was on sale back in 2021.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
The first one needs a community patch that turns into a visual novel or something, because even by janky CrPG standards every attempt it makes (which includes most of the third act) at combat is the worst thing I have ever played that wasn't actually an asset flip scam.

Its got a few interesting quirks and characters, but I'd also put the story at a meager adequate. Idk if the occasional attempts at being Resident Evil were ever scary either, but it sure doesn't hold up nowadays.

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
The Swedish Games Industry released their yearly report on how things are going.

Despite the title saying "2023", it is an overview of developments in 2022. Since Embracer is so absurdly large and they ran into financial troubles this year so I am curious how the report next year will be. In particular since my understanding is that the entire industry has had some problems this year.

They had a section on how one can limit green house emissions, interviewing a PhD from the Royal Institute of Technology KTH, who stated that cloud gaming could if properly implemented limit greenhouse emissions, an aspect I hadn't thought about. He also spoke warmly of gaming since it lets out less green house emissions than other hobbies, which... I think is kinda depressing. "Make sure the kids sit inside in front of their computers, for the planet.".

The number of companies on page 16 I found interesting. It has been non stop increase since 2013; I cannot help feel like some are gonna crash and burn soon.